• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Zero Turn Mowers

wimpykid

Beware the Skinny Pedal
What's the good, the bad, and the ugly on zero turns?

I've got a 16 year old wanting to get a few more yards to mow this summer and we are tired of it taking so long on the normal 42" lawn tractor. Told him I would purchase a zero turn and make it easier and quicker to do a job. My dilemma is I've had a few guys I work with say that style mower can get away from you going down hill and I should think about a walk behind. I'm ready to purchase and thought I would get some thoughts here before I do.

I test drove a Ferris walk behind and was impressed with the power and ease of use. What are the pros and cons of a walk behind compared to a regular sit down zero turn?

Any input would be appreciated.

My brother runs a mowing business and runs nothing but scags. Turf tigers and walk behinds. My yard is somewhat steep and it is scary on a turf tiger. A walk behind you can lie about anything you can walk on within reason. Around here "east tn" if you have to choose one a walk behind is the better to have. Not as fast but you can mow anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm East Tenn as well.

Thanks for the info. I have plans on taking my son Friday so he can test drive the Ferris and a scag walk behind. Those are the ones I have priced.

I have Hustler Fastrac Super Duty with a 54" deck with a 25 hp Kawasaki on it. It's sits low to the ground and I've mowed sideways on hills that would pull the front wheels if I tried to mow up them. It sticks to the ground very good and I've mowed several banks and ditches with it and it never has felt like it was going to slide or turn over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fordcontraption01 said:
You need to bring him out and let him ride mine. Plus I really don't want to mow so it will be a win win for me maybe. And yes a zero turn will get out from under you.

May take you up on that.

all of the lawn care services in my area use zero turns along with a bunch of residential i would recommend a zero turn over walk behind anyway.

If money is an issue and he can't afford the Big Dog stuff, go to Lowes and pickup a John Deere Z245 for about $3200. I mow 8 acres around my house with one and it does the job just fine. Buy the extended warranty with it and rock out. :dblthumb:

ADMINISTRATOR

Exmark walk behind with a sulky. Will mow anything. Kinda high but you get what you pay for. If it doesn't work out still bring good money used.

If he's wanting to get into a walk behind, I've got a jd walk behind I'm wanting to get rid of. It could use a little work. I bought it off a local kid that couldn't get it to run. It'll run now, but needs the carb tuned(running rich)and some wiring fixed where that kid thought he knew what he was doing. I just don't need it. Comes with a sulky. I'll take what I've got in it. $600.
7322154627bc7c2502d0da8b6d1b392a.jpg

Yes riders are very dangerous on steep hills ,don't try and run it on a side hill.I have a cheap old scag walk behind,and try and make a living with it.

Re: Re: Zero Turn Mowers

CHASMAN9 said:
If money is an issue and he can't afford the Big Dog stuff, go to Lowes and pickup a John Deere Z245 for about $3200. I mow 8 acres around my house with one and it does the job just fine. Buy the extended warranty with it and rock out. :dblthumb:

ADMINISTRATOR
I can get behind this idea ^^^ I read a bunch on them last year when I was looking at em and never read any bad about em.

Side note, a friend of mine bought this Spartan ztm today. I never heard of that brand til today, but looks like it is built to the hilt and has a comfy ass looking seat! Probably overkill for what you need though.

287eb8d0c5739bbf96c1e575e296c6a8.jpg

Re: Re: Zero Turn Mowers

TacomaJD said:
I can get behind this idea ^^^ I read a bunch on them last year when I was looking at em and never read any bad about em.

Side note, a friend of mine bought this Spartan ztm today. I never heard of that brand til today, but looks like it is built to the hilt and has a comfy ass looking seat! Probably overkill for what you need though.

287eb8d0c5739bbf96c1e575e296c6a8.jpg

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with some unknown name brands when they are using known name brand parts such as Briggs & Stratton engines and such. At least on the home quality line of equipment I guess. :dunno:

ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks for all the input guys.

Looks like we settled on this one.

Attachments

• IMG_20170407_170349054.jpg
    IMG_20170407_170349054.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
Thanks. Having dealer on my direct route home from work helped make the decision.