• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1980 toyota truggy build

so here is the plan for this winter... might take longer though
propane is first so i can go out and play. this should happen in the next week or two...

i picked up a dana 300 (can we say front digs). i am going to mate this to a toy reduction box with an advanced adaptor setup. when i do this i will make it a flat belly and build a custom tunnel. also plan on using cable shifters from NW fab, so i don

This truck is going to be one mean ride when you get done man, not that it wasn't sweet before :awesomework: Your gonna love that 300 by the way. Hit me up when your ready to do some snow runs :cool:

hey you forgot about sucking in the rear shocks so we can get that little bit more travel out of those links.

well after many failed attempt to start working on this thing i finally got it back in the shop! Gutted the interior and entire wiring harness today. transmission and tranny on the floor tomorrow. Should be able to start posting pics tomorrow

well after many failed attempt to start working on this thing i finally got it back in the shop! Gutted the interior and entire wiring harness today. transmission and tranny on the floor tomorrow. Should be able to start posting pics tomorrow

Good deal.. I like this thread.:awesomework:

the big hose going from the evaporator to the mixer was loose. Talked with carry and he said to check that first. Even a little leak there will wreak havoc.

well like a dumb ass i forgot the camea at my buddies shop:mad:. But today i got the rebuild of the rear axle done for both sides and rear disk brakes assembled. Once i new it was good to go i pulled it all back apart and spent some time cleaning the rear housing to put a truss across it and marked it out for a shave/flat bottom of the housing. Once done with that it all gets some paint and it goes back in.
Also spent ALOT of time sitting in it makine engine noises and thinking about how i want the cab layed out as far as the dash and cut:masturbanana[1]:ting brakes goes. Hopefully next weekend i dont forget pics.

Hopefully next weekend i get to bring home my new motor and rebuilt transmission!

Last edited:
So I lost my buddy camera FML. Got to get him a new one/ hope I find his. Then I can get some decent pics. Here are a few that I have on my phone.

Got the motor pretty much wrapped up. Just have to get oil pump installed and swap over a few parts from my old motor.
Final specs ended up being

Head: 20r
Delta 272 cam (thanks guys!)
22r SS valves, and upgraded valve springs to match cam
Resurfaced aluminum 22r rocker assembly
Mild port and polish on intake side, heavy porting on exghaust side. Port matched to intake and exhaust gaskets.
Offenhauser intake(finding one for a 20r is a real pain in the ass)
custom tri-Y header from Stans headers in Renton (very nice stuff and reasonably priced check them out for sure)
Head shaved to just shy of tolerance for more compression (just enough from to resuface1 or maybe 2 time)

Block- 1983 22r
30 over cylinders
arp hardware
Dual row timing kit
LC oil pump
Shaved to tolerance for more compression.

Also upgraded to a crane ignition with there coil and a recurved LC engineering distributor with vacuum advance deleted. Brian McCleez(guy building the motor) might also hook up an acusump system to keep this motor oiled at steep inclines and off camber. Not sure if it is needed/ want to deal with it. Feed back wanted.
Brian at McCleez Automotive in Olympia is helping me with the motor. He is also doing a rebuild of an L52 Trans for me. Great guy and even better work.
Here is some pics right before assembly. Don

Last edited:
every time i pull this thing into the shop i only mean to do a little bit of work. well it has grown again. With LSO getting that buggy i ended up buying some of his parts off of him. So adding to the list
Linking the front
Full hydro with double ended PSC ram
Cut off that god awful tube work from the front of the truck and make this think into a fire wall buggy.
After all im getting married next sumer so i figure i had better have this thing all finished up.

SMART! Man do your friend have a bad influence on you:D

Cant what tell we get the cut that bad boy apart! May be i will let you do it this time.

Well Tmill found my camera so i figured i would throw up some pics for you guys to see the progress.
PA090023.jpg

PA090024.jpg

PA160036.jpg

She looks so sad!
PA160033.jpg

The old worn out 20r, man we tryied to blow it up but this little guys just wont die!
PA160037.jpg

The disc breaks and rear chromo-mos going together
PA090022.jpg

front high pinion and cryo 5.29 with arb.
PB050038.jpg

PB050039.jpg

And finally the rear flat bottom and truss! as tmill says "the beef1"
PB050040.jpg

PB050042.jpg

So I will let Tmill tell you about the new plan but you can kind get the idea buy the work we did this weekend :redneck:

Good buy cab :flipoff:

P1010001.jpg

The new drive train

P1010003.jpg

And man does it suck cutting apart your own work :booo:

P1010004.jpg

Well as you can see i decided to hell with the cab, let just make this as close to a buggy as i can. Plant to keep just a few feet of frame, mostly because i dont want to ditch the back half. I figured it was going to be more work than it was worth to move the motor back as far as i wanted and keep the stock firewall. Also i wanted to get the wheel base back down to around 110. Motor should end up about 10 to 15 inches back from stock. Hope to have the frames cleaned up and motor propped in place by the end of the day tomorrow. Have not really decided how far back i am going to cut the frame. more to be revealed soon