• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

'84 4Runner build

HotRodJosh

Recently picked up a 4Runner for a daily driver/weekend wheeler. Something my wife and two kids can all fit. Plus I've had a few 'Yotas in the past, so pretty familiar with 'em.
It already has some unknown 3" lift on it, along with 4.37's. But it could use a bit more love.

MVC-008F-1.jpg

I just installed some longer shackles, as the monster 30's would rub the firewall when flexed.....also installed longer brake lines.

I also scored a set of 32" Swampers, but the front axle is gonna need to go forward or they're going to get cut up pretty bad or rip the fenders off...hahaha....
I plan on installing Chevy springs in the rear and putting the rears up front, along with Hy-Steer steering.....and longer shocks. Have hoops, just waiting to round up the rest of the suspension parts (and $$$$) and do it all in one whack.

IMG_0160.jpg

Eventually some 4.88's, a rear locker, nicer bumpers and a winch. Oh, and more power.....hahaha....It's stock besides a Weber......

:awesomework: Nice start josh. Hey I would seriously concider doing a doubler or 4 to 1s. That is way cheaper than doing gears. I cant wait to get my blazer done so we can all go wheelin.Very cool rig though. I built one of these last year, I will have to see if I can find a pic or the thread.

Ok I couldnt find my build thread so here are some pics. I sold it when It was done because I couldnt bring myself to dent and ding it up from wheelin. I did the marlin mc-10 doubler with trailgear 4.7-1 gears in the rear case. Holly slow crawling batman. it had a 5sp and a 22re. I just left the 4.10s in the axles since the gearing was so low. It had all pro 4in springs up front and 4in marlin rear springs out back.I sold it with some 37in mtr"s on 15x8s. I cant remember if I ever told you about it or not. We are really excited today, we are going to pick up a brand new 2008 white 4runner. we are supposed to be there at 3pm.
seanspics106.jpg

Last edited:
Nice 'Runner Sean! Pretty clean....mine's not.:redneck: I dig those bumpers....you make 'em? Got a bender?
Yeah...I plan on a dual setup too. My current trans pops outta 1st sometimes....have another trans and t-case, and would like to do the doubler when I swap it out.
But still need lower gears in the axles, as the 4.37's won't be enough to turn 33's everyday back and forth to work. Gears are what, @ $400 with the bearing kits for both axles? I can install 'em.
The engine "supposedly" doesn't have alot of miles, but it sure is gutless, Hahaha...typical Toyota.
Plan to run 33" AT's and have a set of more aggressive 33's (or 34's like on my ol' brown 'Yota) for the weekends..

We need to get out on the trails!:beer:

The bumpers came on it. They were allpro's and same with the rock sliders. That will work great the way you are planning. Yes we need to hit the trails.

Yeah...definitely need some sliders....already put a small dent in one rocker. HaHa
I generally don't like bigger tires...so I'm gonna need some 'protection'....

Soooo....why'd ya sell yours? Looks plenty capable.....not enough HP for ya?

Yeah...definitely need some sliders....already put a small dent in one rocker. HaHa
I generally don't like bigger tires...so I'm gonna need some 'protection'....

Soooo....why'd ya sell yours? Looks plenty capable.....not enough HP for ya?

Looks like you have a good start. Better get those sliders on quick before you get a nice rocker dent.

hey josh when you guna come over to my shop to shot the ****, I know you and J were old neighbors, so you have and open invite.:awesomework:

i checked out your pinstriping awesome work. i like the metalflake and leafing. have you done anything with the charger?

Thanks Jason.....
The Charger is in SAD shape....I't's pretty much stripped. I fixed the rust below the back window and cut out some of the rust in the 1/4's....but there is more in the 1/4's than I thought!:mad: I've got new patch panels.
I really need to get it back on the road for this summer.....may not happen, depends on if I'm still workin'.....and Erin's Impala is first on the list for paint.

Hey Pumpy.....I'll stop by whenever I get a little free time:cheer:....
PM me where yer shop's at, eh?:beer:

Last edited:
Made a little progress over the weekend.
Got some Rancho 9012's from Kelley (bigiron), so I cut off the stock shock mounts and welded on the shock hoops.
Also made a tube for the back, modified the spring plates and mounted the rear shocks side-side rather than the stock fore-aft...

Last edited:
More progress....
Installed Hy-Steer crossover steering, big improvement. While I was at it, I cut off all the extra brackets off the front axle....man, I love my new plasma.:D
Scored a Warn M8000 on CL that needed a new cable, so I replaced it with some synthetic line.
Next I installed a TG winch plate, along with a set of their rock sliders. The bumper is temporary however. I'd like to do a tube bumper, maybe with a small stinger. Just gotta get some tubing and find someone with a bender.
Once I find a set of good 33-35" tires, I'll swap in the 3rds I've got laying here.....loaded with 5.29's, one is locked.:awesomework:

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good josh. I need reminding to call my friend with the bender. I will call him sunday when he gets back from riding. I need to ask him if he has a smaller die. I think all he has is a 1.75in die. Do you know what size tubing you need? I want 1.5 for my tube work I need to do. Maybe we can go in on a shoe together if he doesnt have the size we need. i will let you know. Man how many hours are in your day? I need to call you anyway I have questions on painting my rc blazer body. I think im gonna have to knock the dust off my airbrush set up.

Hahaha, thanks Sean. Not enough hrs man, I do all this after I get home from work....plus carve crap outta trees.:redneck:
Yeah, 1.5 should be fine. The side bars are 1.75, which would work too if that's the only die he's got, as I only need the front bar bent, and maybe a stinger if I decide on one. The rest of the bracing will be straight and slightly smaller tube, so no bender needed.
I don't have any tubing yet either.

IMG_0507.jpg

"Borrowed" a set of 35's from my father-in-law. Just some BFG AT's, but they'll work for the time being. Actually drives pretty good and more power than the 32" Swampers. Still need to swap in my lower gears....

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg