• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ARRRRGGH 02 superdooty

I had mine changed under recall when i had the HPOP changed.

I was warned to carry one just in case.. but i didn't.

wouldn't have done her any good.. but.. (actually, the wife does pretty good. probably would be able to change it.)

I'm waiting for the call to tell me if the problem is fixed or not.

changing the fuel filter was no biggy. Needed changed anyway.
well its not hte CPS.

changed it and no go.

any other ideas?

sell it :awesomework:

its actually been a good rig.

Well they got it started and it threw P1316 error.
IDM.

Now i did some searching and it apears that the IDM doesn't go out its normally in the harness.

They got it to a friends house, so i can pull the valve covers and start checking stuff out.

I Know have a spare CPS.

thanks for the input i'll keep ya posted.

its actually been a good rig.

Well they got it started and it threw P1316 error.
IDM.

Now i did some searching and it apears that the IDM doesn't go out its normally in the harness.

They got it to a friends house, so i can pull the valve covers and start checking stuff out.

I Know have a spare CPS.

thanks for the input i'll keep ya posted.

xraidedj just had his Super Duty die completely and ended up having to buy a whole new IDM. He wasn't able to get it to run at all after it died though...

xraidedj just had his Super Duty die completely and ended up having to buy a whole new IDM. He wasn't able to get it to run at all after it died though...

IDM's do go out! It could be the harness if it is running off and on though, mine had been giving me problems for about 3 months and I replaced the CPS, ICP, cleaned the IPR, new oil, new fuel filter and once it died....it died for good. Do a buzz test, mine didn't buzz any of the injectors which is how I came to the conclusion after visually inspecting the harness that it was no bueno. It was $279 shipped from buyautoparts.com on ebay. Plus $100 core which they gave back to me after I sent mine in. I haven't had a single problem since I replaced it and the truck has a little bit better throttle response also.

Why does this crap always happen when i'm on a business trip?

Ok,2002 superduty 7.3.
running fine all day long, then pull out on a road and it decicides that it doesn't want to run anymore.

It will run, but absolutely NO power and sounds like its going to rattle itself to death.

First thing i'm having her do is change the fuel filter.
If that is no go, fuel pump.

Any other ideas

It is actually quite common for the under valve cover harnesses to come loose due to vibration, have seen it many times---couple instances it also required a new IDM due to the resisitance being high at the poor connections under the valve cover---by your description, sounds like this is what's happenin' Good Luck, and I hope it's just the connections being loose!! BTW, there is a way to make sure they don't rattle apart---using baby zip ties!:;

ya, im going to dig into it this weekend.. only bad thing the missus will be without a car until thursday.. unless she wants to drive my pathfinder..lol

Also, try powerstroke.org that forum has helped me out with my fleet of shitboxes countless times. I work on 9 powerjokes but I own a Dmax and the kid that works for me owns a Cummins. Go figure............
:beer:

ya, im going to dig into it this weekend.. only bad thing the missus will be without a car until thursday.. unless she wants to drive my pathfinder..lol

tell her she can barrow my blue Chevy:awesomework:

Can't wait till you get back to the states broski........:beer:

Very common that the cps won't set a code. The computer just sees the engine not running but doesn't care why.

If you don't have a scantool. Fuel filters, cam sensor, and test batt voltage are the 3 most common problems with the 7.3PSD

Most guys I know w/ 7.3's carry a spare cps in the glove box because when they fail you're f-ed.

Not true---every, and I mean every CPS related driveability issue I've encountered HAS set one of the CPS codes (P0340,P0341,P0342, P0344)...

i'm going to be home for a whole 3 days.. and now heeling for me.

i have to go back to 1310 ujoints up front.. BOOOOO

Week sauce!!!

but the offer is on the table if she needs a rig for a couple days!......I know she can drive the hell outta big trucks and my chevy would be like driving a compact to her...LOL!! :beer:

P_S my Rigs Running again!!:awesomework: lets go to Elbe on the 2nd!:corn:

Week sauce!!!

but the offer is on the table if she needs a rig for a couple days!......I know she can drive the hell outta big trucks and my chevy would be like driving a compact to her...LOL!! :beer:

thanks ed, i'll tell her.

she should be ok..

I'm thinkinga bout having a redneck GTG on the 1st.
work on both my rigs and put hte burn barrel outside the garage.

thanks ed, i'll tell her.

she should be ok..

I'm thinkinga bout having a redneck GTG on the 1st.
work on both my rigs and put hte burn barrel outside the garage.

Count me in on that too! Jeremy just got a new one and if he can't come i will snag it for the day! Kid's.....GF's.....Need me to bring food\beer....Time?:beer:

It is actually quite common for the under valve cover harnesses to come loose due to vibration, have seen it many times---couple instances it also required a new IDM due to the resisitance being high at the poor connections under the valve cover---by your description, sounds like this is what's happenin' Good Luck, and I hope it's just the connections being loose!! BTW, there is a way to make sure they don't rattle apart---using baby zip ties!:;

X2 this is a notorious problem. Check the UVC harness's

uvcs do wiggle loose fairly often and the dealership carries a clip made to stop it from happening . Check out nwforddiesels.com and post the problem there. alot of guys have AE scanners and can check it for ya could be numerous problems actually including oil level.

uvcs do wiggle loose fairly often and the dealership carries a clip made to stop it from happening . Check out nwforddiesels.com and post the problem there. alot of guys have AE scanners and can check it for ya could be numerous problems actually including oil level.
IMHO those little clips are worthless---as I've pulled a couple down only to find....yup, you guessed it---loose connectors, and THAT clip layin in the head!!!:D

i agree with the uvch and valve cover gaskets. i had a similar problem a month ago. the valve cover gasket had 2 burnt pins for glow plugs plus i had about 6 bad gp's. truck was hard to start and one day didn't want to start at all. i replaced vcg's, uvch's, 2 pig tails and all new glow plugs fires up without hesitation now even in the cold weather we have been having. i would check glow plugs. and pins to the valve cover gaskets easy checks and pretty cheap parts. if you need new pig tails they can be had buy parts house or international dealer can make them in 10 minutes cheaper than buying a new harness.

Latest posts