• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Atlas transfer case

Patoyee why do you figure the numbers without taking the transmission's first gear into the equation? I'm sure there is a reason, I'm just curious

I'm just figuring highest transmission ratio in low range / fastest wheel speed since that seems to be where so many lack and are concerned. For SE wheeling with a V8 you don't really need a deep crawl ratio. Anything around 30:1 in first gear seems to do fine, V8's seem to have plenty of low end torque to handle 30:1 with an auto crawling and make anything much more useless or needless. Since going lower in 1st gear means also going lower in 3rd or OD it is the upper gears that people find out they don't have enough wheel speed and where the OP was most concerned.

Edit: That was a lot of words to just say that the OP was concerned that he wouldn't have enough wheel speed with a 3.8 case. So since wheel speed was his question it was the top gears where wheel speed occurs that I was calculating for.

3.0 t-case, 4.56 gears:
Trans1st2nd3rdOD
TH40034:120:114:1na
4L8034:120:114:110:1

2.0 case, 4.56 gears
Trans1st2nd3rdOD
TH40023:113.5:19:1na
4L8023:113.5:19:17:1

3.0 t-case, 6.72 gears:
Trans1st2nd3rdOD
TH40050:130:120:1na
4L8050:130:120:115:1

2.0 t-case, 6.72 gears:
Trans1st2nd3rdOD
TH40033:120:113:1na
4L8033:120:113:110:1

I've always wanted to learn the table function. Now that I have it pretty much sucks.

Re: Re: Atlas transfer case

patooyee said:
Bill-Baird-Dirt-Riot.jpg

This Bill Baird? From what I have heard it wouldn't be much of a race. I've heard that engine is well beyond what anyone in this thread has yet posted. I've heard that motor is in the 700+hp range.
I currently have around 630 at the crank. Heads have already been milled down .030. Going back with a port, polish, roller rockers, ect will put it in the low 700's.

To combat those who are in the 700+ range I plan to run in low range. 1.41low, 5.43 diffs, and with a 4l80 will carry some speed.
2nd - wanna say 70mph
3rd - around 100 mph
4th - stupid theoretical 140

Then for the rocks I have a 3.01 low to use. Should be enough to keep up.

Re: Re: Re: Atlas transfer case

Mortalis5509 said:
I currently have around 630 at the crank. Heads have already been milled down .030. Going back with a port, polish, roller rockers, ect will put it in the low 700's.

To combat those who are in the 700+ range I plan to run in low range. 1.41low, 5.43 diffs, and with a 4l80 will carry some speed.
2nd - wanna say 70mph
3rd - around 100 mph
4th - stupid theoretical 140

Then for the rocks I have a 3.01 low to use. Should be enough to keep up.
Are you saying you are bill Baird or just that that's what you plan to do to combat people like him? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I've seen your posts for a long time, even pmed you a few times, but not sure I've ever actually seen your real name.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Atlas transfer case

patooyee said:
Are you saying you are bill Baird or just that that's what you plan to do to combat people like him? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I've seen your posts for a long time, even pmed you a few times, but not sure I've ever actually seen your real name.
He's not Bill. He's talking about racing against high hp like Bill

patooyee said:
I'm just figuring highest transmission ratio in low range / fastest wheel speed since that seems to be where so many lack and are concerned. For SE wheeling with a V8 you don't really need a deep crawl ratio. Anything around 30:1 in first gear seems to do fine, V8's seem to have plenty of low end torque to handle 30:1 with an auto crawling and make anything much more useless or needless. Since going lower in 1st gear means also going lower in 3rd or OD it is the upper gears that people find out they don't have enough wheel speed and where the OP was most concerned.

Edit: That was a lot of words to just say that the OP was concerned that he wouldn't have enough wheel speed with a 3.8 case. So since wheel speed was his question it was the top gears where wheel speed occurs that I was calculating for.

I can remember the good old days when having over 100:1 crawl ratio added inches to your ****

redneckengineered said:
I can remember the good old days when having over 100:1 crawl ratio added inches to your ****

I'm not sure I ever got into that. My first rig had a doubler, mainly because everyone told me I needed one. I realized early on that it was dumb and never went back.

patooyee said:
Not Bill. We have talked in pm's, so forth, and uga fans/alum. I have a build thread for the car, just need to bump it.

That's what I have/plan for the higher hp guys. It's a solid axle car though. My name is Tripp Jernigan and have never held a mic while screaming some sort of descriptive comentation.

Mortalis5509 said:
Not Bill. We have talked in pm's, so forth, and uga fans/alum. I have a build thread for the car, just need to bump it.

That's what I have/plan for the higher hp guys. It's a solid axle car though. My name is Tripp Jernigan and have never held a mic while screaming some sort of descriptive comentation.

Haha, I was going to be surprised if I had been talking to Bill Baird this entire time. :)

I hope to see Tripp Jernigan as a regular name in the annuals of racing soon.

What does it take to get 700ish out of an ls or at least im assuming that is what motor you are running? And Bill is a badass for being able to do what he does at his age.

Elliott said:
What does it take to get 700ish out of an ls or at least im assuming that is what motor you are running? And Bill is a badass for being able to do what he does at his age.

Cubes, big heads, and big cam. IMO, you're just out of the NA pump gas realm at 700hp on an LS motor. I'm going to say a 12:1 compression minimum, LS7 or LSX block, big heads and cam, all the other misc **** but those are the major points that will get you there.

Not naming names but I was recently told a 402 stroker motor (pretty much identical to mine) made 650hp. I asked the compression and the owner didn't know. I just chuckled to myself and walked off. You can practically sneeze on an LS and get to 500hp. 600hp+ NA takes $$$ and work.

edit: Mortalis is running a stroked LS3 drool I also would be interested in hearing about it.

redneckengineered said:
They are Mast sheets. Crank #s. My engine is a hand built forged stroker and hers is the drop in kit. I don't know many guys making 530 HP to the ground in a rockcrawler and who compares those numbers anyway other than car guys? Way too many variables.

It's amazing to me how far you've come. I remember reading your tech on Pirate 10 years ago and thinking to myself- this is one of the cheapest SOB's ever!

Neal3000 said:
It's amazing to me how far you've come. I remember reading your tech on Pirate 10 years ago and thinking to myself- this is one of the cheapest SOB's ever!

Haha, me too. Now I can't hope to keep up with his spending.

Neal3000 said:

patooyee said:
Haha, me too. Now I can't hope to keep up with his spending.

:rolf: Been a long road man. I was a broke ass college kid in love with offroading just doing what I could to get in the woods. I gotta say I wouldn't trade those years for anything. I still look at those pictures from time to time and wonder WTF was I thinking but the knowledge and experience gained along the way was priceless. Good times. I still love the sport like I did then, just got a little more $$$ to spend and I'm sure thankful for it.

Re: Re: Atlas transfer case

Elliott said:

redneckengineered said:
Cubes, big heads, and big cam. IMO, you're just out of the NA pump gas realm at 700hp on an LS motor. I'm going to say a 12:1 compression minimum, LS7 or LSX block, big heads and cam, all the other misc **** but those are the major points that will get you there.

Not naming names but I was recently told a 402 stroker motor (pretty much identical to mine) made 650hp. I asked the compression and the owner didn't know. I just chuckled to myself and walked off. You can practically sneeze on an LS and get to 500hp. 600hp+ NA takes $$$ and work.

edit: Mortalis is running a stroked LS3 drool I also would be interested in hearing about it.
To get dumb power is size, fuel, compression for na, or forced induction.

Mine was ls3 (to be exact an l92) and then was stroked to a forged 416ci. Wiseco pistons, clevite bearings, all arp studs, heads milled .030, melling high volume oil pump, and Bosch 850cc injectors. Keep the truck intake but flipped. 13.4 compression on e85. It will safely spin to 7200 rpm's. Still room left in the block for a clean up later on when needed. Like I said, still have room for the 700 hp range when I go back for a port polish, roller rockers, and ect in the top end. L92 heads can really flow (what comes on the l92, ls3, and some other high output hp blocks).

Cam card attached.

49ab61524dfff5901fc3a7c2053030cb.jpg