• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Batteries?

Maverick26

As iron sharpens iron...
Kinda got me thinking about my truck with "rotten egg" thread, so I went out and looked at the dates on my batts in my '95 F-350 and they are over due.. I have not had any issues with them other then I need to leave my GPs on longer then the light for it to start when cold. Anyway I am looking at getting some new batts for it before KOH and just want to know whats a good battery for a diesel truck like this? Where do I get them?

was just looking at the consumer report on batteries and the good old die hard from sears is right at the top

I have always been an Interstate believer...Every rig I own has one (or two) in them...

What are the pro's and con's of lead acid, deep cycle, dry cell? Can anyone explain what is better or worse for a diesel truck?

Odyssey?
Exide?
Deca?
Interstate?
Optima?

I am thinking of getting the interstate but im open to imput...

The costco interstate or a real green top one from somewhere else?

The real deal....some may chime in with their opinions, which they're entitled to!:redneck:
Don't run Deep Cycle....they aren't designed to withstand the rapid cycling of a vehicle's starting/charging system...
I've heard good things about Deca, but nothing long term...Our local rotating electrical outfit up here carries Deca.

No problems at all with the COSTCO's I picked up as a result of that thread. Trucks been starting up golden every morning. :redneck:

Like I said in that thread, I can't think of any issues I've had with Costco batteries in all the years we've been buying them for various rigs. That's (and the convenience) is the main reason I fall back on them.

Seems like the local auto parts store changes there "line" per whatever corporate gets a good deal on, so I don't like parts houses. And NAPA always seems a little expensive and snooty. And I'm not "in the industry" like Kev to have a better relationship with the battery wholesalers, or do more than 1-2 batteries a year with them.

I wouldn't waste my $$ on anything fancy (i.e. optima, odyssey etc), save the *bling* batteries for the wheeler were you'll use the properties. Your truck just need to start. If your not having any issues right now then your probably fine, but piece of mind isn't a bad idea.

Or alternatively, if your a cheap ass like me, Buy two new batteries and bring them with you (save the receipt) Your truck may not go dead, but a DOA battery in your wheeler would make for a sucky week, or you might be a competitor's saviour..... If you don't use them, and like me your a cheap ass.... take them back and spend the money elsewhere till you *need* new ones.

DO NOT run Napa or Exide batteries in a ford! We used them for a while in our fleet and they gas like a bitch. You have to clean the terminals every oil change or they will corrode to nothing in no time. Garbage................

Don't know what would be difference between The signature series and regular Interstates. I've had both, both did the same job the same way. I'll stick with the Signature series.

I just bought a pair of everstart maxx 27's a few months ago. Nice deal $175 for the pair with a 3 year free replacement. If one happens to go bad chances of being by a wally world is pretty fawking good. Truck has sat for 6 weeks in the cold and they got the old IDI started right up no problem. :D

the problem with wally world is they have to load test them before they can give you a new one. after load testing one a few months back they said it was good and couldn't give me a new one. i told them i dont care what there tester said and wasnt leaving without a new battery.

Ran across the same thing myself when I took a buddy's battery in there for warranty...receipt and all....I told them the same thing, and that I had just load-tested it at my work using more than one tester we have at our disposal (they ended up using the same midtronics load tester we have)...They still insisted they charge and test---and you guessed it, bad battery.
Any company out there today will require the battery be tested properly before they just hand over a new one---completely understandable.

Any company out there today will require the battery be tested properly before they just hand over a new one---completely understandable.

completly understandable which is why i waited there patiently while they did it, their just doing there job. but when they told me a bad battery was a perfectly fine battery then i started to lose my patience :FIREdevil:.

I have an interstate green top in my explorer that is dated 2001. It was sitting on the ground behind it when I bought the rig in 2006, half out of water and making 3v. I filled it, and trickle charged it. It came back and still is in the rig today. I think I'll get another when it finally expires.

I have a couple of the BIG Catterpillar batteries in the pig. Don't know who makes them, but they always fire the truck right up after sitting for weeks at a time.

I have a couple of the BIG Catterpillar batteries in the pig. Don't know who makes them, but they always fire the truck right up after sitting for weeks at a time.

isnt it crazy how good ol lead plate cat batteries work? scraper can sit for a year and start. dozer will sit in a pond for a month a start.

I love ol plate batteries.:awesomework: $10 each at the wrecking yard.

But i can spend a week working on a toyota with an optima or orbital and it wont even crank over. JUNK:puke:

the optima yellow top on my cummins works awesome.even when it was about -10 outside and the dumbass i am forgot to plug in the truck.....:haha:it didna stay running, but it started several times:fawkdancesmiley:......cheers

isnt it crazy how good ol lead plate cat batteries work? scraper can sit for a year and start. dozer will sit in a pond for a month a start.

I love ol plate batteries.:awesomework: $10 each at the wrecking yard.

But i can spend a week working on a toyota with an optima or orbital and it wont even crank over. JUNK:puke:

I have an Optima red top in my buggy and before it was in my jeep. I have never had a Battery take so much abuse. When it was in the jeep it ran a welder, was a welder and when I rolled my jeep it winched it 100' up a hill and never gave up (motor was not running). Then I left the key on for a week and drained it deader then MJ, tryed jumping it but no luck so I took it out and set it on the concrete in the shop for about 8 months. Sold the jeep and started building the buggy. 14 months later put it on the trickle charger then into the buggy and is still there. I have shorted it out, jumper cable welded it, and it sits for weeks at a time without running. I think I have an old one before Optima got bought buy someone else. They used to build there old ones with 1/2" copper plates now they are less then 1/8" thick. Easily shorted now. I hope my red top never dies.