• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Batteries?

I have an Optima red top in my buggy and before it was in my jeep. I have never had a Battery take so much abuse. When it was in the jeep it ran a welder, was a welder and when I rolled my jeep it winched it 100' up a hill and never gave up (motor was not running). Then I left the key on for a week and drained it deader then MJ, tryed jumping it but no luck so I took it out and set it on the concrete in the shop for about 8 months. Sold the jeep and started building the buggy. 14 months later put it on the trickle charger then into the buggy and is still there. I have shorted it out, jumper cable welded it, and it sits for weeks at a time without running. I think I have an old one before Optima got bought buy someone else. They used to build there old ones with 1/2" copper plates now they are less then 1/8" thick. Easily shorted now. I hope my red top never dies.

How old is the battery though? I know the old ones can go on for a long time, and take a lot of abuse. But in the last few years. I hear nothing but bad about them. Something changed due to supply costs and they just aren't the same anymore.

isnt it crazy how good ol lead plate cat batteries work? scraper can sit for a year and start. dozer will sit in a pond for a month a start.

I love ol plate batteries.:awesomework: $10 each at the wrecking yard.

But i can spend a week working on a toyota with an optima or orbital and it wont even crank over. JUNK:puke:

It is very nice. Just watch yo fingers, I'm missing a fingernail after dropping one of those damn things on the tip of my finger:redneck: