• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best gauges

5BrothersFabrication said:
Harbor Frieght FTW! Seriously, some HF stuff is pretty good. Most- not so much. But the guages have been dead on. The long ass uphill to Can Opener at Harlan? 230* by the time I got to the top. Oil pressure is on the money, but still haven't hooked up the voltmeter.
Your harbor freight has gushes for your dash?? :dunno: fawk that store would break me ! Who don't love harbor freight?? Hell it's like a bad addiction! We all know there's a good chance We might get a tool that will break but We go in anyway!! Hahaha :****:

Re:

I had some **** I got at O'Reillys and they worked on and off so I went to Autometer and never looked back. Peace of mind is worth a good bit to me.

kushKrawlin said:
I'm at Summit Racing right now, (just walked out) actually was just laughing at the Autometer prices!! Absolutely insane. After reading this makes me wonder what the difference is because I had my mind set on not spending that much money.. I will wait to find some used ones I guess. I just cannot bring myself to spend that much money on gauges. Are the cheaper gauges not accurate? I have some bullshit gauges in my rig now, would love a set of Autometer gauges but dam , 70 buks a piece for them hurts. Really hurts. I hate this place! :****:

Quality and service. I worked at a diesel performance shop for nine years. The only gauges we sold were autometer b/c the two times I did have issue with one of their gauges they replaced it no questions. Their tech is also very helpful if you need support.

Re:

TBItoy said:
Cheap ass sunpro temp gauge.

What other gauges do you need?

I guess if you wanted to be cheap, but still have some monitoring capability, you could run warning lights. Lots of options there.
Haha. That's what I have now, motor temp and oil pressure is all I have now, also have a tach and trans guage not installed but would.. Which I will be hooking up soon. Would just be nice to have a good set of gauges but this :afro: ain't paying. 3-400 for a set. Nope I am going to keep my eye out on a set of used ones.

with exception of the tachometers, most of the gauges sold in the US are made by one of three manufactures, still each retailer specs out the requirements of the gauge, so yes, some times the gauges can be more accurate, but really only if you spend big bucks. The tachometers are specked out to each manufacture because they tend to be the leading seller, after that most gauges are made by datcom, Faria, or Murphy. There's also a German manufacture that I cant think of right now, but its easily recognizable by the thumb screws that hold the mounting brackets on. You can look at the back of the gauges to tell who made them. Murphy seems to be the most old school, heavy construction, metal brackets, big needles, seems to be the supplier to Stewart Warner as well. Faria and Datcom make gauges for everyone. Faria generally has a cheaper feel, easily recognizable by the plastic mounting bracket and white plastic back housing. Datcom generally has a metal back strap and a blue back housing. Check with the marine suppliers, they run some deals on the whole package. Buy a good tachometer from a known manufacture, and just buy everything else from whom you like. Double check the accuracy of any gauge you put in, you'll be surprised how inaccurate most are.

the autometers are made by datcom or Faria(I can't remember which) but if you notice, the graduations on Auto Meter gauges are generally not evenly spaced, they are marked in a more accurate sweep of the gauge, meaning they check the accuracy and have adjusted the reading to correspond. Thats why one brand can be better than the others, while they are essentially made the same.

I like the way the Cobalt series look. Im trying to find a set that wont break the account.

Well since my buggy sits outside in the elements and is open cab iv been really favoring marine boat gauges. They are sealed and water tight plus uv resistant against fading and for the four gauges I need it's just under $150. Not bad price for durability

Re: Re: Best gauges

a9b92987c8c240b9bd9dee8dea708ac9.jpg

This is what's in my jeep. I'll be able to report back on its durability down the road. Hopefully it last as long as the jeep does