• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bonneville Bound Speedweek 2010

Wed update
this mornig got car fired up/ warmed up: changed to the run sparkplugs buttoned car up and headed or the short course.

On the way to short course at about 40mph behind the pushtruck we hit some potholes in the salt and sent the front end into this radical dance. being towed i had one hand on the Butterfly and one on the brake ( Hand brake). Since it's manual steering the wheel started sawing back and forth 1.5 turns each way at a rate that made the wheel look solid. I didn't break a thumb but got luck close. Dad didn't hit the breaks until I screamed over the radio. Forget that he has now drug me for 250+ feet of the bouncing frontend but then another 50 of when I have the brakes on full lock trying to stop the violence. The steering wheel (butterfly) spun so fast that centrifical forces bent the sides out huge. I pry it back together with my knees

now I'm scared as **** of driving this
car. What happens if I hit a pothole at 175???
I make my Rookie run. Came off the push truck blowing salt. Hit 120 quick, clutch it to shift and loose mega RPMs. Spend next mile getting r's back up. At 5500 she pulls good, but at 6500 the turbo DUMPS on and it's mutherfu king GO time. Like warp speed, pin you in the seat grin from ear to ear thrust!!! I'm coming at the 3 mile mark and have to pop my chutes and not break 150. So I let up at the 2.5 and coast across the 3. Pop my highspeed chute. ****!!! I didn't feel a thing, so I pop my low speed. Kinda feel something. hit the return road and bail out. Yep both chutes are deployed behind me. I'm comes hauling ass one of the safety trucks and thy tell me "Good Job", exactly whatthey wantto see on a rookie run. Dad and Tom roll up and the run is in the books.
I had to go register to move up to the 150-175 license. It spinklea a little and our course ends up shut down for water betwen the 2-3.
We hook and head to the combo course (long 7 miles course with a short 5 mile layer on top of it). On push off they just don't get me to 75 before backing off. So i dog the motor or 1.5 miles, finaly hit 138 (9k) and shift loose r's and don't have enough distance to build back up before the 3 to land above 150. Wasted run, we didn't even stop for the timing slip. It had to have been 100 or worse.

Get back in line. Make it to the start and they close the course for 45 minutes because the Alt Coupe in front of me blew out his rear windshield and glassed the track at the 3. Mind you it's 95, I'm in an SFI15 firesuit, hoodie, helmet, hans and strapped in a steel can. ****ing hot!! They clear the track and the car won't start. Well **** you too then!!! so we push start it. I get it going but can't pull **** at 1400rpms. I need 5k and fast. So turn out before the 1.

Racepak guys worked on the car from 5-8pm. I can't begin to tell you te level of service we are getting and the trick **** and tweaking they've been doing for us.

Gameplan Thursday. salt again at 6am. Warm car go get in line. Start making laps an hopefully have the car in Impound by tomorrow night.

Mother nature isn't cooperating. We've been on the salt since 6am we've been getting hit with rain clusters for the last hour and a half plus a 20mph crosswind.
All the cars that qualified to try to back up record runs yesterday left impound about 35 minutes ago an have been sitting 4 miles away at the startlines. We've heard the track is still pretty dry but they are waiting on the wind and the current rain clusters to blow out.

30% chance all day.

Dad and Tom are likely not going to license this year. We are just trying for a record on the car at this point which puts me in the driverseat.

Pray for me, good weather, and the Disco Bitch to cooperate!

bigsilly said:
So when do you guys have to head home? I hope things start going in your favor!
we leave saturday. So have all day today and tomorrow, if I have a record qualifying speed tomorrow I have to immediately back it
up with a 2nd run. Vs if I do it today I have to report to impound and get to do it in the am.

Storm has blown north of us. Course is dry and we are in line. Waiting on wind to die a bit before they run any more down course.

Hope it clears up for you guys.

That is pretty crazy to think that Teske and your dad won't even make a pass in the car!! They spent WAY WAY WAY more time in that oven than I did. ;D ;D

Get it SON 5553 needs a record! I guess on the bright side now you can go ALL ALL out :driving:

Last text from Wyatt was: "Wind is still kicking up to 18mph and its diagonal across the course so no one is going. We may not get a pass in today."

Well sounds like they are making more pass'es. He is having trouble getting the car to pull first so no records on this run.

OH and the push bar that I built for them......BROKE :wtflol: :****:. Not sure what broke yet :dunno: but you can bet I will be back in the OVEN to fix it :indianajones:.

Yep back running. Made one piss poor pass. I can't pull on the pushtruck. We think that the rpm calcs are ****ed for the pushoff. On my one solid timed rookie run I was cookin the rpms on the start, peeling the ****out. Dad And Tom got in my ass for using too much and slipping the ass while being pushed. Every since I've tried to leave the truck at 5k, let the clutch out an she drops to 4k and can't pull herself.

So now back in line again, I'ma wood it at 55mph and ride the wood to 70 and ease out the clutch and try to peel the **** out on the hood ofthe pusher. I'm tired as he'll of sitting in line having a warmed up car and doing 80 unable to pull 1st. Stupid high geared bitch. She's made to haul ass but this licensing and staying within these low ( for out car) speeds is killing us.

InDaShop said:
She's made to haul ass but this licensing and staying within these low ( for out car) speeds is killing us.

What are the liscensing speed intervals until you get to Haul ass till you wet ur undies???

Ok now it makes sense..........I only built you a 50 MPH rated push bar molaugh ;D :flipoff1:.

The next one will be Wyatt Rated :driving: thumb.gif

Sounds like a soild plan. Screw that nice easy take off from the push truck......got to show them boys how we roll in Texas.

CheapJ7 said:
What are the liscensing speed intervals until you get to Haul ass till you wet ur undies???

Car and driver have to make recorded controlled runs in these intervals.

125-150 D License
150-175 C License
175-200 B License
200-250 A License
250+ AA License

Depending on your car you may be hauling ass and getting it at 125..... but our car is geared more at 300 so its a mutherfuck to hit the low speeds.

We are back home, got in a few hours ago.
Huge list of **** to address. We had some successes and some failures. and some general **** luck.

I'm alot tired right now but have photos uploading as we speak, and tomorrow will try to get the video out of the car. I had three camaras running most runs.

Is the license good on all cars, or only on the one you are running? Have to license every year, or is it good for a while? Had a good time watching you through your posts, thanks.

John, that's what I was discussing with a guy yesterday. He's like, why don't you take a z06 and license up to 175, then get in your big car. I was like, I don't think it's that easy laughing1
What rear is in the car wyatt? If its a 9", why don't you just swap gears for all 3 guys' license passes, then put the tall boys in and let er eat? :flipoff1: I'm sure a gear swap couldn't take 20 minutes, and that third is only about 3k

License is good for 5 years if you go inactive for 4, so as long as you license and keep racing you dont have to re-license.
Car is good from the first time it proves it can do each speed controlled. That is unless you make some major changes, like change body class.
I plan on changing this car to Lakester class in a few years so will have to relicense it back up to 175 to be able to run on the long course where its going to be at home.

Yes Kelly its a 9", we have a 3.0 in it now and took a 2nd chunk but its a 2.75ish (I'm not 100% sure on that ratio) which was the wrong direction.
We need to switch to a 3.25 or so and I'd like to add another gear to the Lenko to close the gaps on my 1st to 2nd shift. The other thing we've talked about is selling the Lenko and going to a 6-speed Liberty.

Those will fix the gearing issues, the other issue we had was altitude. We tuned the car for 4000 feet, but the atmosphere at the salt even though it was at 4000 ft was actually 7000ft due to ambients (super low humidy 17%). I'm looking at intercoolers now and need to get the air density back up.

The car went into warp drive at 6500 when the turbos came on. Here in Houston that happened at 5k, so if that tells you anything the air is that much less dense up there. We need to get that back in check. And was the major source of our frustration. Dad and Tom were expecting me to be screaming at 5-5500k off the push truck and it was taking much higher RPM's to get the same amount of air in the motor. Innercooler should help some. Rearend gears should help some, and I still have some dirty air off my front end that I need to clean up with some fairings over the front axle, tierod and torsion bar.

I give my dad major credit for even pushing me at all. Heres all he could see of the car from the driverseat.
IMG_0137.jpg

Here is me pulling away
IMG_0138.jpg

Tale of a successful run, chutes deployed
IMG_0143.jpg

And here is the three of us who built the car. (L-R) Dave Pemberton, Tom Teske, Wyatt Pemberton
IMG_0159.jpg