• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Budget S10 build: Senior Project

Put that hanger on the front of the frame, not under it. Gte that axle way out there or you will have clearance issues and horrible driveline angles.

Use a backwards facing armed AstroVan steering box. It will bolt right up to that crappy frame just fine.

Good luck. Build a VERY nice truck and SELL it while it looks clean, cuz it will be a worthless problem ridden frame busting POS wheeler. Use your loot form the sale to build a user friendly wheeler.

But it will look great cruising around. :awesomework:

For the record, EVERY person I know that has built an S10, NOW wheels something different.
:rolleyes: Just put some Toyota badges on it to make Choppy happy :fawkdancesmiley:

It dont have to be a toyota unless your really dumb and need somehting so simple to build that even dummys can do it and still get it right.

But there are other challenging builds that are NOT toyota that still have the potential to be a reliable wheeler.

I would rather see someone build a jeep to wheel than a S10.

But for a daily driver, I would rather be seen a stylish lifted "ONE of a kind S10" than in a "every nerd has one" jeep.

Just depends on what the posters desires are.

I guess I forgot to mention its my daily driver/wheeler on the weekends that I can get out, by no means a trailer rig. Not going to compete in top truck challenge or anything haha so I feel like the s10 should suffice

I did an sas on the same setup you have and good luck and love to see somebody do there own thang :awesomework:

Well got sick since last time but tried getting some more done.
2012-11-10095209.jpg

plated the front of the frame
2012-11-12040713.jpg

Put the hanger on the front of the frame (thanks chop shop for the input)
2012-11-12040433.jpg

2012-11-12040425.jpg

Fabbed up a shackle hanger for the rear, seems like it hangs low so not sure about that yet
2012-11-12040449.jpg

2012-11-12040444.jpg

clamped the rear hanger to the frame and put full weight on the axle
Didn't wanna weld the rear in place until i could get wheels on the front, shucks guys dropped the ball on the longer wheel studs for the front, supposed to have em on saturday, now they're sending them tomorrow.

2012-11-12040549.jpg

torched the spring under pads off the rear axle, took my new perches from ballistic fab and set em up spring over with 2 inch add leafs and bolted everything up for mock up. As of now the hitch receiver is sitting 13inches higher than it was before.
Hopefully i can get the lug studs tomorrow and weld up the rear shackle hanger.

when i finally get em in place ill put some knees on em.
but a question for now is, I can get another 231 or 241 t case for 90 bucks, and instead of going for incredibly low diff gears, i was thinking i could setup a doubler which would make up for the 3:73's in the dirt, but also make my drive line angle in the front a bit better, thing is then i'd have to go to a 1 piece shaft in the rear which could get expensive.

got some more stuff done
got the shackle mounts welded in and supports along with them
2012-11-18055837.jpg

put in a couple supports between the hanger and xmember
2012-11-18060002.jpg

I put in the ifs shocks just to see where they might mock up, with as far forward as i put the axle it looks like the stock towers will actually work haha, what do you guys think about the angle?
2012-11-17063021.jpg

2012-11-17063043.jpg

Shackle angle at full droop
2012-11-17062308.jpg

Shackle angle with full weight
2012-11-17041054.jpg

Got the steering kind of mocked up, this is without a drop pitman arm so all the angles should come out fine
2012-11-17061906.jpg

I need to lengthen the rear driveline about 2-3 inches and the angle looks like it'll be fine
2012-11-17062100.jpg

2012-11-17062158.jpg

the trans xmember is in the way of the front driveline so i'm gonna cut the drivers side, side of the xmember off and fab a piece that'll come back and then over so it'll be outta the way.
2012-11-17062216.jpg

my dad brought home a front driveline out of a 00 or 01 grand wagoneer to lengthen my front shaft, thought we were gonna have to replace the whole longer side of the shaft the wagoneer but when we cut it in half turns out it fits perfectly inside the s10 shaft so now we can make it pretty much whatever size we want.

2012-11-18055905.jpg

2012-11-18055916.jpg

Still got a long way to go haha

I'm thinking your going to have drive line issues with that much movement at the shackle. Gonna either pull out the splines or bind a yoke.

Yeah I was thinkin about that, but at this point i'm in it 0$ so if it works it works, if not I'll start makin a driveline fund haha. But it's kinda nice cause the yokes are the same on the xj diff and the t-case yoke so if it works it'll be pretty slick.

we haven't set it yet. It'll probably be one a the last things we do.

Yeah I was thinkin about that, but at this point i'm in it 0$ so if it works it works, if not I'll start makin a driveline fund haha. But it's kinda nice cause the yokes are the same on the xj diff and the t-case yoke so if it works it'll be pretty slick.

we haven't set it yet. It'll probably be one a the last things we do.

sounds good :awesomework:

Well wrestling started a while ago and between that school and work i haven't been able to find time to work on the truck until break started, so this is what i got done

got some rear 1 ton ford kyb's for the front and made some hoops, they limit full droop by an inch and i should have 6 inches of uptravel and 6 or so down if the leaves allow it.
GOPR0050_zps51062d33.jpg

GOPR0051_zps0ab8f697.jpg

GOPR0054_zps4cf51dee.jpg

Also fabbed up the shock mounts for the rear, just reused the stock shocks for that.
GOPR0057_zpsbed17609.jpg

GOPR0058_zpsebf9cf42.jpg

and then the brake line was to short so i torched the old mount off and made a new one that extended out and now it all works
this is at full droop
GOPR0059_zps00c0ff61.jpg

Brakes and choppin the fenders

Well i got some more work done on it, ordered all new calipers rotors pads, and rubber lines.

welded on a tab to bolt the line too, we decide to only have one soft line come down to the diff then t-off to both calipers through hardlines along the axle, pretty much like the rears.
GOPR0061_zps528d66aa.jpg

GOPR0062_zps6133998e.jpg

Then got the rear driveline done, used the one piece out of 78 regal and shortened, u joints are the same. Seems to be fine.
GOPR0066_zps7707cdcd.jpg

GOPR0065_zps2b1779be.jpg

Then i went on to the fenders. I didn't cut to much off but i think it'll be enough for now. and i really like the look of the chrome trim so i tried to cut and bend em to fit the new fender and I think it actually turned out pretty good for a first timer haha
GOPR0060_zps084fd019.jpg

GOPR0067_zpsdd4c260c.jpg

It's pretty much just front driveline, get rubber brake line for the front, hook up both sway bars, burn in some hitch recievers for the winch, and then just little stuff.