• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building house, house plans?

Re:

I searched and searched for some land, but the price was always just too much. Then they build a tissue plant and then rail car plant. Housing jumped again.
Then a spot of land, like I was wanting came up for possible sale after the house burned. Talked to the lady that owned it and paid 2,400 an acre. 8 acre spot with half woods. Have 6 big oaks 100 years and old. Lost one that 135 years old. Had to clean up a lot and tear down some old buildings. The bank appraised it for 35,000. All the houses around me are on 10 acre or bigger lots. Don't jump on the first spot of land.
Might just find a spot that is a lot better buy, in a area you might like more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Can definitely help on power bills in the summer though!

My goal is to take everything that's ever bothered me about upkeep or that I wish was different at my current house, and if possible, eliminate it when we build. Like I currently live on a decent slope of land and have some water drainage issues....next piece of land will be damn near flat. 1 or 2 trees would be ok in the yard, but for the most part I don't care for them. Concrete or paved driveway, I have gravel and rains washes it out about every 6 months.

Still got a while before we build, but probably need to go ahead and secure the land because it will be needed for collateral against a construction loan.

My buddy that is probably going to build for us has been kicking around the idea of selling his place and building a nicer one, and his is about as nice as I would need one. It's only 6 years old and has all the best appliances and whatnot, big tile shower, fancy fossets and all that ****, done real nice. About the size and style I am looking for. I know what he has got in it too Lol. Would be sweet if we could work out a deal with them and us buy it from them next spring if they are ready to build a new one by then. Always liked his place and said that I probably would never need much more than that. Not a bad location either, about 6 minutes from where I currently live.

54703b458cbb6909e51034510d250600.jpg

471b0fa3041c478a29d15a6f1c4e6dcc.jpg

I made an offer of $105k for 3 acres of property in Auburn a few months ago. It didn't work out, and ended up buying this house on 3 acres.

You would never find anything half decent for $10k/acre around here. Jump on it!

Auburn isn't a 2 redlight small town either Haha. There's land a little farther out selling for 2500 an acre or so, but not the type of location I'm looking for. There's an 8 acre lot about 5 minutes from where I live for $20k, but it's completely wooded and would take a lot of work to clear and prep for building. $10k an acre is a little high in my opinion for that place because it's on a backroad, but there is nothing but nice houses back in there and they are all spaced out, which is what I like. But I just feel like $19k for that **** is too high. I may make another offer on it next week.

I'm part of the way through my plan I bought 20 acres 15 min from town in my price range, all my neighbors have 2-3 story large homes 5 acres is the smallest lot within a mile of mine! I've looked at plans and even drawn a rough sketch of what I want, in 4 years and 6 months the home building process will start if everything keeps going as planned!

Re:

Gotta have goals son! Wish I was a little less hungover when we were down there so we could have checked out more of your property lol got a nice place off in the woods man! God I hope I never have a hangover that bad again.

You may find what you're looking for, but you may want to check some comparable land and area prices. I believe my counter would've been $37,500. Did you really think you was going to get the seller to pay for survey, perk, and closing with a half of list offer?

Re:

Its completely common for people around here to price land and homes for wayyyyy more than what they are either really worth or what they would be happy with getting out of it. Bought my house for $10k less than listed (cheap house so $10k is a bigger proportion than say $10k off a $200k house.) A good friend got his for $20k less than listed price, so hell yeah that was a serious offer to begin negotiating. Do you think "list price" in realty actually means anything? Real estate is way worse than any vehicle market regarding overstated asking prices. Realty companies work to try to get the most out of their client's property too, in order to increase their revenues. I think realty companies are a crock of ****. Maybe one day, there'll be a free or near free website like Craigslist designed specifically to market real estate. Hard to get any exposure these days unless listing in realty and giving them a cut.

Coincidentally I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm looking to build down here in south B'ham.

Fun times trying to figure out what builders to use, and what to ask, etc. Nothing to add as I'm about the same phase you are, working on securing land. But this thread has helped me with some info.

customcj7 said:
Coincidentally I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm looking to build down here in south B'ham.

Fun times trying to figure out what builders to use, and what to ask, etc. Nothing to add as I'm about the same phase you are, working on securing land. But this thread has helped me with some info.

What exact area are you located or looking to locate?

Dropped by that land today before work, walked out to the middle of the yard and took pics in all directions so I have more to study on just how much I like the place.

I really dig it....

8833762536e4e21b7432a9739fc1d056.jpg

30c54a813fc43eff88e6680ced20000e.jpg

4b021728f0b4cdcf5e3bbd8ec43bbd62.jpg

7936b1302cff9739b0ed30dd502b1a17.jpg

03c424b7a6fe8194379c244bda6604fb.jpg

5569b46fcd256df3d237f853d008e45c.jpg

cfb04b4c72fed40b2552d2c12e5b8164.jpg

4228ddfe7c364c932451019096922dbd.jpg

d5776c24bd541a7cb927ef74bdb3c5a6.jpg

I'm not sure if you are still looking for someone to draw some plans up, but I do it on the side. I have been designing engineered lumber (I-joist, LVL, etc.) in Birmingham for going on 4 years now and have recently started designing on the side to pay for some student loans. If you are still looking for someone or want some more info, just let me know. My number is 256-531-7043. Thanks

MoparMan said:
Gotcha, if Gregg doesn't come up with somebody let me know....I used to haul sand and gravel for new home construction and know some builders down that way.

I'm all about getting more than less. I can weed through some of them pretty quick, but I'd rather talk to more than less. If you have some reputable builders to refer, shoot me a PM. I'd appreciate it. I don't know anyone down here so I have to rely on other people, thus Gregg. (I hope I'm not screwed) :rolf:

customcj7 said:
I'm all about getting more than less. I can weed through some of them pretty quick, but I'd rather talk to more than less. If you have some reputable builders to refer, shoot me a PM. I'd appreciate it. I don't know anyone down here so I have to rely on other people, thus Gregg. (I hope I'm not screwed) :rolf:

Alright will do.

TacomaJD said:
Dropped by that land today before work, walked out to the middle of the yard and took pics in all directions so I have more to study on just how much I like the place.

Tony really digs it....

Yeah that looks like a really good piece of land. I have a feeling you're gonna have a hard time finding anything better honestly.

And if your boyfriend likes it, that means a whole lot too...

95Jeep85 said:
I'm not sure if you are still looking for someone to draw some plans up, but I do it on the side. I have been designing engineered lumber (I-joist, LVL, etc.) in Birmingham for going on 4 years now and have recently started designing on the side to pay for some student loans. If you are still looking for someone or want some more info, just let me know. My number is 256-531-7043. Thanks

Thanks man, had a couple different Hardliners mention drawing up plans. I think what we may do if we build, is take my buddy's house (the homebuilder) that I posted pics of earlier and maybe tweak his design a little to make the bedrooms a little bigger, maybe put the garage on opposite side of house, depending on which land we end up with, and just draw it all out on graph paper like he did when he built that house. I'm actually gonna call him later on tonight and see if they think they might be ready to sell next spring when we are ready to buy, that'd be a whole lot less headache and save a good bit of money off the bat (which could be used to build badass shop 8)). I'd have something plenty nice enough to do us for a long time, then 10 years down the road, if we need something bigger, we will have a better idea of what to build and what we can afford as a couple. Hopefully both our incomes will be significantly higher by then too.