• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building house, house plans?

MoparMan said:
Yeah that looks like a really good piece of land. I have a feeling you're gonna have a hard time finding anything better honestly.

I knowww, several has said "you don't have to jump on the first piece of land you find, but that's not what I've done here. I wasn't even planning to buy anything til at least after the first of the year, but been scanning realty listings for awhile and after seeing this place listed, it's pretty much the definition of what I desire in a piece of land, and I'd hate to let it get away. I think $16k is my max, at already a little more than what I'd like to pay for a lot, but I really like it. Some will say, hell $19k ain't far from $16k, but $16k is already more than I initially had in mind paying for a small lot to build on if we go that route. I may make a $16k offer on it next week, but I'd nearly bet the seller will decline it also. I may just wait and see what else comes up. Might find a sweet house on the market when we are ready to buy or maybe we could buy my buddy's house if they'll be ready to sell. The best option will show itself soon enough lol.

TacomaJD said:
I knowww, several has said "you don't have to jump on the first piece of land you find, but that's not what I've done here. I wasn't even planning to buy anything til at least after the first of the year, but been scanning realty listings for awhile and after seeing this place listed, it's pretty much the definition of what I desire in a piece of land, and I'd hate to let it get away. I think $16k is my max, at already a little more than what I'd like to pay for a lot, but I really like it. Some will say, hell $19k ain't far from $16k, but $16k is already more than I initially had in mind paying for a small lot to build on if we go that route. I may make a $16k offer on it next week, but I'd nearly bet the seller will decline it also. I may just wait and see what else comes up. Might find a sweet house on the market when we are ready to buy or maybe we could buy my buddy's house if they'll be ready to sell. The best option will show itself soon enough lol.

I completely agree with you and understand where you're coming from.

I could understand 16 being the limit if you were a land trader and looking to make a couple grand. But are you going to let 3 grand keep you from getting a "dream" piece of property that your going to put another 200k in? iv always said that paying to much for something you like is a lot better than getting a good deal on something you aren't satisfied with. my .02

halcat said:
I could understand 16 being the limit if you were a land trader and looking to make a couple grand. But are you going to let 3 grand keep you from getting a "dream" piece of property that your going to put another 200k in? iv always said that paying to much for something you like is a lot better than getting a good deal on something you aren't satisfied with. my .02

I talked to my buddy and he said they priced their house last year then backed out, then priced it again to same buyer (a couple they are friends with) and then that couple had already bought some land. The price he quoted for it if they decide to work a deal out with us will be a no brainer to buy it from them over building. Will save $40k+ for essentially the same thing, just in a different location. I think that's the route I am going to pursue as of now unless my ole lady don't like their house/location for some reason, or they decide against selling. He said he is gonna talk it over with his wife and we are gonna try to go over there and look at it this weekend to see what the ole lady thinks. Less of a headached + $40k savings = the better option, as of now.

customcj7 said:
I'm all about getting more than less. I can weed through some of them pretty quick, but I'd rather talk to more than less. If you have some reputable builders to refer, shoot me a PM. I'd appreciate it. I don't know anyone down here so I have to rely on other people, thus Gregg. (I hope I'm not screwed) :rolf:

Even if I don't come up with your builder of choice, I can help you find out about the one you decide on. Lots of "UNLICENSED" wannabe builders out there. :indianajones:

I do appreciate it man, really, just bustin ya balls. I can use all the help I can get. I talked to one the other day just about his work what some of my basic ideas were and he already threw out numbers around my budget and that I was too low. All I gave him was a sq/ft and a basement need. I think this company likes their high-end custom homes so he's either insane or doesn't want me to call him back, easy enough on that one.

Thanks again for any help you can provide. Tacoma, I'm jacking your thread.

customcj7 said:
I do appreciate it man, really, just bustin ya balls. I can use all the help I can get. I talked to one the other day just about his work what some of my basic ideas were and he already threw out numbers around my budget and that I was too low. All I gave him was a sq/ft and a basement need. I think this company likes their high-end custom homes so he's either insane or doesn't want me to call him back, easy enough on that one.

Thanks again for any help you can provide. Tacoma, I'm jacking your thread.

I'm done with it for a while now anyways haha. We are going to look at my buddy's house this weekend so the lady can check it over and see what she thinks.

Poll the audience. What's everybody's take on slab houses. Generally I'm not a fan of the negatives of slab houses, but the more I think about, I have never heard of firsthand acounts of problems with them. My neighbors house is on a slab, a good friend built a pole barn/man cave with all plumbing in the concrete like a slab house. Most businesses are built on slabs. Hell, are they really as bad as the bad rep they have?

Still planning on hopefully buying my buddy's house, but this is the main one in town I really like I had mentioned earlier. Really nice design, and I love that its flush with the ground.

742bd9c1158ed404857b68bd4ae86982.jpg

My aunt mentioned selling their house today and downsizing, but I doubt it would be in our price range. She said they would figure a number and let me know. Really nice spacious place. They built it in '92. 4 acre yard, 2k sq ft, deep garage, big stamped concrete patio in the back. Probably more than we need, but it is damn nice!

2791c5b92cfb1e55db09c75c16a622c1.jpg

50f0c2a09c411c0f3b2bb898a4ed040e.jpg

f30e8bb8800c1eb8017562aa45f3cc46.jpg

Re: Re: Building house, house plans?

zukimaster said:
**** that second one for me, because the yard looks huge! I don't want to spend hours mowing grass every week.
I know thats right! I've gotta mow my yard today, the 3 acre yard at Casie's, and another couple acres at her chicken houses today. On a 42" John deere riding mower. We gonna buy a fawkin Hustler zero turn before long. All I've got to do today is drank beer and mow...could be worse I guess, but plenty other things I'd rather do. **** would take half the time on a 60" zero turn though.

Re:

My business is on a slab. Overhead ducted HVAC, overhead wiring, drains in the floor. I've had zero issues in 3 years to speak of, but don't know long term what this will hold. I have a steel building that shrinks in extreme cold, but it only got cold enough one time to make one of my man doors to stick and I adjusted it down a quarter inch and all was good again.

I do have good gutters and engineered drainage for my property, so that helps. I am thinking you will need a little slope to your land or just a slightly raised dirt pad to keep from having any water issues.

Stick to the experts though, this is my first experience that I will try and institute into my next home.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

I do not know many commercial building or business that are built on a crawspace. If you do a slab correctly, even residential, you will be happy. Most commercial property has more expensive grading to allow a slab as well as preparation under the slab. most residential building projects don't allow enough spending to install a slab correctly. The crawl space allows access to inadequate material used in residential construction. If you were to install a slab and use commercial specs than build the rest of the house and use residential specs, you would like a slab better, especially if you were using much tile. You heating and cooling are always less, and your floor s obviously much more solid. They make carpet and hardwood for concrete floors. You just have to install it correctly.

Every house I lived in growing up had a crawl space. When I moved to Auburn for College, majority of houses were on a slab. I don't think I had even noticed a house built on a slab until I moved here.

Now, I work for a concrete subcontractor. We don't do residential work anymore, but we sure did a ton of house slabs when we started out. There are a TON of nice houses here on slabs.

customcj7 said:
Coincidentally I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm looking to build down here in south B'ham.

Fun times trying to figure out what builders to use, and what to ask, etc. Nothing to add as I'm about the same phase you are, working on securing land. But this thread has helped me with some info.

Make sure your builder asks you a lot of questions. when I do a commercial project I get a set of plans and a spec book one inch thick. When I build a house I get a set of plans and that's all.he has to know what you want and if he isn't willing to ask, he don't care. Everybody has there way of doing things, you have to find a builder that wants to do things your way. it won't cost you any more so make sure you know everything up front. Do your homework. Make sure you understand the "lingo" on building. A split heating system to you could mean a thermostat in every room and to him it could mean a heat exchanger inside and condenser outside. There could be a 5k difference in cost right there. the best way is to find a builder that builds a lot of houses in your price range. A builder that builds big houses can build a small house but it may have a $1000.00 kitchen faucet in it. Wrong. Look at one of his houses and say " I want a house built just like this". Watch out for the cheep house with nice lights and fancy door knobs. And don't spend a lot of money on carpet and paint, you can change that any time. You'll be tired of what ever you put in it after a few years anyway.