• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building house, house plans?

Looks like we are going to buy my buddy's house. Him and his family may rent my current house out so they have somewhere to stay while he builds a new bigger one, if he can't get a construction loan before he sells his house to me. We are getting a pretty damn good deal in it, and he is leaving eveything. He literally said all they wanted out of it was their clothes and personal belongings. Lol. Furniture, flat screen tv's, bedroom suits, decor, all stainless appliances, everhthing. He hates moving **** and will want upgraded stuff anyway in their new house, so we negotiated a price that includes all that stuff. Gonna save us a lot of money off the top, everything in his house is nice and still in great condition.

They are looking to build around the same time we are looking to buy, sometime around March of next year. So this is gonna work out great for both parties.

It's a fuzz shy of 1600 sq ft heated, no upstairs - dog boxes for looks only, 2 car garage, 3 bed 2 full bath, jacuzzi tub and tile shower in master bath, dual sinks in master bath, huge walk in closet, tray ceilings in living room and master bedroom, big back deck, a few good shade trees, $4300 in ground storm shelter. He said he gave $7k for the central unit (fancy efficient model, dont remember brand) and upon comparing utility bills, his average only about $25 more a month than my little 1000 sq ft house!

I'm pretty excited, but gonna suck waiting 7 or 8 months. I am impatient. Gives us plenty time to save money though. Still gotta decide on honeymoon destination lol.

Random google streetview images.

1fb677733634d95795bf93aae886683e.jpg

1ca193922aa0531a0bcce6029861aa4e.jpg

2b6222d7a09a8b8d217686fbbae13678.jpg

TacomaJD said:
Auburn isn't a 2 redlight small town either Haha. There's land a little farther out selling for 2500 an acre or so, but not the type of location I'm looking for. There's an 8 acre lot about 5 minutes from where I live for $20k, but it's completely wooded and would take a lot of work to clear and prep for building. $10k an acre is a little high in my opinion for that place because it's on a backroad, but there is nothing but nice houses back in there and they are all spaced out, which is what I like. But I just feel like $19k for that **** is too high. I may make another offer on it next week.

You finished yet?

Slab house don't sell as good in Cullman. Pm rapidrob he is a home appraiser.

kmcminn said:
You finished yet?

Slab house don't sell as good in Cullman. Pm rapidrob he is a home appraiser.

We must've posted the same time LOL. I was just curious about more insight on a slab house, I'll probably avoid them if we do build later. Maybe in about 10 years after we're both making more money, got a better idea of what we can afford comfortably, and a better idea of exactly what we want in a house when it's time to build, we'll begin the process a little more prepared. Then flip this place and probably make money on it. I like making money. ;D

Or hell, it may be all we ever need. I'm not really too needy when it comes to the fanciest this and that, and neither is the lady. If we outgrow it, we'll build bigger. If not, stay there, be happy, and save money. thumb.gif

Best move you will make is to buy if it checks all your boxes. Building is so stressful, though I intend on doing it myself in the next few years. I wanted a specific piece of land and that was more important to me than the structure that sat on it. Now I will have to demolish and build.

We both feel dang good about it, especially after he mentioned leaving all the stuff in the house. When we went over to look at it last weekend, he had a fire going out back. He dug out a fire pit in the back yard. Sure was peaceful sitting out there overlooking the hay field behind his house. Helluva lot quieter where he lives than my house too. I live at a 4 way stop intersection that I've appropriately dubbed the Sylvania Dragway. Everybody leaves from the stop sign WFO in their gay diesels, mustangs, or tuner cars. Kinda gets old. Lol.

e9834079e972f55427d56aee6dec98de.jpg

It's was February and lucky if the temp hit 30 that day. This was for my dad, outside in the laundry room. I know not all water lines in new house are in the slab.

But the drains are and just imagine that in the house.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I hate my crawl space with a passion. All the fixing crap I have had to do in it, it just sucks. Now I will give it a couple of good points, I added a deep sink in my attached garage and it was simple to plumb everything in under there. Storage is a bonus as well, I have had multiple sets of tires and wheels, tree stands, and other stuff under there that would have been in the way any where else. But damn I hate having to go under there for anything. I replaced all the vapor barrier, insulated the floor, and spray for bugs at least once a year, to hell with a buncha crawling around under a house.

grcthird said:
I hate my crawl space with a passion. All the fixing crap I have had to do in it, it just sucks. Now I will give it a couple of good points, I added a deep sink in my attached garage and it was simple to plumb everything in under there. Storage is a bonus as well, I have had multiple sets of tires and wheels, tree stands, and other stuff under there that would have been in the way any where else. But damn I hate having to go under there for anything. I replaced all the vapor barrier, insulated the floor, and spray for bugs at least once a year, to hell with a buncha crawling around under a house.

Easier than crawling under a slab!

I built a house on a slab 3 years ago. Copper pipes in/under the slab as is common for my area. Feb. house gets hit by lightening and so far I've got two busted pipes in the slab! Everytime I talk to a plumber or insureance guy they are like "yeah that's pretty common. we see this a lot". REALLY? then why keep building like this?! I haven't lived in my house for a couple of weeks now while they basically rebuild it from the damage done to repair the pipes (walls and ceiling cut not slab)

I have had other issues to with not being able to access wires or make changes because of limited attic space AND house design.

So for me....if I ever build a house again the mechanical will be radically different from normal construction FOR MY AREA!!

1) I'd change to a house built on a slab.....but with a crawl space (2 foot) between the floor and slab). SO a house on piers built on a slab basically. roll around under the house to fix **** on a creeper!\
2) A tall big attic space.....like big enough to have a second story.
3) All plumbing and electric will be in the attic.
A) Water enters the house and goes into Attic. Then branches off straight down the wall to the fixtures. No guessing where the pipe is at. (with spray foamed attic ceiling the attic stays with in 10 degs or so of the house. no ceiling insulation)
B) same for power. Enters the house and goes into the attic. All runs from attic down to fixtures and switches. Easy to make changes or repairs later on.
4) metal roof
5) Brick or Stucco siding
6) SUPER high efficiency windows
7) SUPER High efficiency HVAC

Things I did right that I would do again:
1) Spray foam! It works 2500 Square feet and less then $100 electric bill in the summer!
2) Over sized garage (tall wide doors and 30' depth to make sure you easily fit a large vehicle
3) lot of porch space. I have almost 1,000 square feet of porches and we use the hell out of them all!
4)Metal roof
5) stucco & brick
6) High efficiency AC

EDIT: check with your local energy provider. lots of them give discounts and aid in building if you go all electric. Mine came in a couple times durning the build and point out things we could do that were easy and cheap to make my house more energy efficient (like making sure to insulate behind tubs and showers....which you'll be surprised how many builder don't do simple **** like that!). I'm all 100% electric BTW. No gas in my area and I didn't want a tank....cause when the Hilary gets elected and the gid goes down......I can convert to solar easier than finding a natural gas supply and truck.

JohnG said:
Easier than crawling under a slab!

Troof! I had to tear up 22' of my driveway recently to fix a leak in the line between the meter and house, sucked big time.

But like blase said, run everything in the attic for a slab house except for the drains of course. Wife's aunt's house is a garden slab house, has pex plumbing and has a big panel in the garage where you can turn off an individual line instead of the whole house. I thought that was pretty cool, just like an electrical panel.

For anyone building with a crawl space, I recommend either going with a basement or make sure you have adequate vapor barrier and ventilation in the crawl space even if you have to dig down a bit. For me, a basement is the way to go, yes just like with anything there's a right and wrong way to do it. A lot of foundation planning and prep along with above ground work a landscaping goes a long way towards preventing many of the issues people have with a basement. Plus its a lot cheaper to add rooms in a basement than build additional square footage if/when you need more space.

Re:

What about the sealed crawl spaces these days. Making it air tight adding condition air to it and a dehumidifier

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Like I posted earlier, any problem you guys say you have in crawlspaces or slabs, I can tell you why you had them and how to prevent them. Water pipes struck by lightening? How many residential plumbers/ electricians do you know that ground the house to copper pipes instead of running the correct grounding outside. how many plumbers run type k copper instead of L or m, solder correctly or even pressure test for the correct time. How many plumbers run foam core drains under a house and expect it to last. Even when your doing a basement wall out of blocks, pouring the cells with concrete, that's fine for strength but does little for waterproofing. Run drains below FFE and fasten gutter drain pipes to basement walls so dirt settlement won't pull them loose from the downspouts. like I said, there usually is not enough money in residential construction for long term. everybody just asked for the cheapest price and than gripes when it fails.

I bought my first house last month. It's all good but I would highly recommend a insulated garage door. My garage gets so damn hot its crazy, Im taking a wild guess that a insulated door would at least keep the sun from creating a green house effect in there every morning. I'm also considering a small damper in one of the a/c ducts to maybe redirect a little cool air in there whenever the a/c comes on, no thermostat in there. My garage is also 4ft longer and wider then what typically comes in your basic 3bd/2ba, I would recommend that too if you have a truck

My garage is 30 deep and 38 long with three insulated doors and ONE 8x8 register and it never gets below 55 in the winter and stays ok cool in the summer.