• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cage failures

.......and since so many of you are concerned with yours and others safety, I can only assume safety helmets and 5-point harness's will be worn for now on; while on the trail. Cause......why have a perfectly triangluated and designed cage made out of unobtainium, if you and your passenger(s) aren't secured into the vehicle and have helmets on.

Right?:;

I'm so happy with you all. You're really taking a step in the right direction........SAFETY FIRST.:awesomework:

.......and since so many of you are concerned with yours and others safety, I can only assume safety helmets and 5-point harness's will be worn for now on; while on the trail. Cause......why have a perfectly triangluated and designed cage made out of unobtainium, if you and your passenger(s) aren't secured into the vehicle and have helmets on.

Right?:;

I'm so happy with you all. You're really taking a step in the right direction........SAFETY FIRST.:awesomework:

Mom says I can't go outside without my helmet on... :redneck:

After the roll 5 points are on, no helmets though... Gotta leave some risk right? :D

Ok maybe these are dumb assed questions, but I have not see them addressed in this thread and I think it applies.

1. What is used to build the Cages in NASCAR, Indy Cars and Funny Cars?

I have seen video of all three of these crash/hit walls, roll, tumble and the car discentrates, but the driver (Who by the way was wearing a Helmet and a Five Point Belt) get out and walk away under their own power.

Yes I believe a part of that life saving cage is the proper design, but that still must be coupled with the proper materials and quality welds.

2.The accident that spawned this thread was extreme to say the least, so should we all be building cages for this extreme or for the much more normal slow speed flops and rolls that we encounter?

Myself, I think building for the extreme is too much over kill for the wheeling I have seen here in WA and UT, but if your going to get into Racing like Pook is doing or like King of the Hammers, then I think the extreme is the correct cage build to go with.

I also would suspect that Jason C (of S&N Fab) has done more then a little research into this area prior to building their first Chassis, so what he says carries a bit more weight then any backyard fab (at least with me).

I think you should build for these extremes if you drive the trails that have these kinds of potential hazzards. Seems a popular trail, so i'd think anyone driving it would want to be prepared for going over.

Drinker - overkill cage.

Sober - standard **** will suffice.

Toyota driver and drinker - stop where you are and go home, nobody else needs to get hurt.

:redneck:

Ok maybe these are dumb assed questions, but I have not see them addressed in this thread and I think it applies.

1. What is used to build the Cages in Drag and Funny Cars?

From the NHRA rulebook >
A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel

Art Morrison doesnt even sell a DOM cage kit for racing. Either HREW or Chromoly.

Here's my cage failure. This cage has has taken hits to the sides top & bottom but finally bent when it landed on a rock just right. Its tied into the frame, rocksliders and the tube running through the fenders to the bumper.
I cut out the bent part and spliced in a new piece and added some supports to it. Its saved my ass more than once and I hope it still does the job.

Last edited:
When I got my buggy I trusted the cage because it had already been flopped and rolled several times and held up. Nothing like having a previously tested proven design. :redneck:

1. What is used to build the Cages in Indy Cars?

Carbon fiber and I think a small steel cage around the driver but I'm not sure....I watched a interesting documentary once about indy car chassis and they showed slow moting crash testing at 200MPH into a solid wall and the thing barely snubbed the nose and otherwise was not deformed....What they learned was they needed them to be weaker in zones to absorb the impact and not just kill the driver inside. You could build a wheeler like that but like said earlier it would be disposable and not practical for what we do.......People tend to forget that what we do is inherantly dangerous. You could build the best cage ever and roll over on a stick to your neck and die from it. Maybe we should all wear a suit of armor inside the cage while we wheel? :rolleyes:

Good material, bad weld.
My buddy's EB cage after several rolls.
!.75x.125 DOM Tube with a crappy cold weld.

Last edited:

Latest posts