• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

College Build

TwinStick

Figured I throw my build on here as well. I rebuilt it about 2 years ago and am now able to go back and redo a lot of things that I should've done a little different. I'm in college, so money is always a big thing for me, and I can't afford to built a two seater buggy with a v-8 right now. I just ran into a little bit of money, so I'm throwing a 60 in the front, 4:1 in the 300, rebuilding bumpers, shackle reversal, and probably repainting it to match my truck. I have been blowing up my front 44 everytime out, so I needed to get a 60 in it. Here are some pictures from a couple years ago. Specs as of now are

2.5L
5 speed
d300
100" wheel base
coilover/4 linked rear
soa front on waggys
37 km2s
hydro assist

main.php

And from the last build.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

And here's how she sits now.
main.php

And here is the new stuff. Order all the stuff to get the 60 under, and will be machining the hubs to SRW and machining my own high steer arms. Going to leave 30 spl outters as of now, I really don't think I'll have any problems with 37s and a 4 banger. Ended up finding this Chevy 60 for $400 in TN earlier this week, and I'm using 3.5"x1" cold rolled for my high steer arms.

main.php

main.php

Sounds like a plan..

I feel ya on the college budget! Always a PITA.
But maybe it'l pay off one day..

Unless the economy goes completely to **** and we all have to become sustinence farmers...
o well :drinkers:

you can have a two seat buggy on a college budget! :****:
IMG_7065.jpg

i'm in for college for another 2-3 years or so the budget kills it big time i got super lucky and got mine in trade otherwise i'd be in a yota on 36"s
jeep looks good! :woot:

Today was pretty productive. We got one hub turned down to SRW, and the other is about half way done. The rotors are drilled out, lincoln locked, and the gears are pretty much setup. Now we've got to mill some highsteer arms, put seals in it, weld the diff cover up, and it's pretty much done.

Trailer-o-parts
main.php

And here's the step by step on how to turn a DRW hub into a SRW hub.

Stock DRW hub

main.php

Next, we made 4 cuts with the bandsaw so it would be less to machine with the lathe.

main.php

Next, machining with the lathe.

main.php

And the final product. The exact same deminsions as a SRW hub.

main.php

Lincoln locker

main.php

And one more with the 5.38s ready to be put back together.

main.php

you sure they're the exact dimensions? thought they were a little longer...like an inch or something...could be wrong though

They shouldn't be. I think there is only one stub that fits, whether SRW or DRW, but to be honest I didn't measure. They are turned down a little bit more than SRW to be honest, I'm going to run H2 wheels and don't want to open the wheel centers up too much.

More work done today. Thought we'd try our hand at making a set of highsteer arms. We've never made a set, but I think these came out a little better than we were thinking they would. The plan is to run a double ended arm on the passenger side of the axle, and run the tie rod behind the axle. We got the passenger side arm done today. Here's a little step by step on how it went.

Drilling the pattern. I used the cad drawing I found on pirate.

main.php

main.php

Since we didn't have a 2.125 drill bit laying around, we drill the center hole as big as we could, then used a boring bar to open it up. Also, notice the counter-sink on the stud hole.

main.php

Next we milled the sides to give it a little bit of style.

main.php

And, the finished product.

main.php

main.php

I'm doing all the work at a buddy's house. He goes by wranglerss on here. Bridgeport mill, lathe, plasma, tig, mig, hydro bender, 40 ton press. If he doesn't have it up here, we probably don't need it. I just think its cool to make a part from scratch for 1/4 the cost it comes from shops.

Got some more done today. I couldn't figure out how I wanted to do the king pin caps, but I finally came up with an idea I liked. This is how they turned out. In one of the last pictures you'll see 2 allens sticking up. The will sit down further once the high steer arm is tapped, but we didn't have the right tap tonight. They are counter-sunk.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Killa, I would counter sink, then bevel, then rock dat bich. A+ for the college student hangin in the basement. :dblthumb: :dblthumb:

CHASMAN9 said:
Killa, I would counter sink, then bevel, then rock dat bich. A+ for the college student hangin in the basement. :dblthumb: :dblthumb:
Actually they are countersunk. We havent tapped the holes in the arm yet so the bolts are just sitting there.