• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel vs Gas

Boomer said:
Would you really want a 4.7 or 6.0 liter gasser for a tow rig?

The 6.0 really doesn't do too bad. I drive a 03 2500HD ext cab long bed 4x4 with the 6.0 for work. Actually, we have five of them in the service fleet. We're usually pulling either 6000lb or 8000lb (depending on which trailer) and they've held up better than I expected they would. My truck has the lowest mileage (99,000+) and the highest is over 150K. Between all the trucks we haven't had any engine problems and only one tranny problem, which blew while under factory warranty. Being that they're company rigs burning company fuel, everybody pretty much runs the hell out of them. With a load of tools and parts in the back, I get about 8-9 towing and around 13-14 without the trailer. Sure, I'd be much happier with a Dmax/Allison but the 6.0 gets the job done.

Just my $.02

Lucky Jeff said:
What in the hell is a fuel distributor on a damn 12 valve? Yea I'm definitely taking diesel advice from that guy :rolleyes:

Never said I was even close to a diesel tech or anything like it, sure sorry I called and injector pump the wrong name, sure glad you could jump right on and dog me rather then to teach me something...:rolleyes:
As far as diesel advice, I stated I own one of each, gave my impression of both, there is no diesel bashing by any means other that stating the truth that diesel prices are way high for what it is.
Thanks for your suport.:D

Why do you think everyone is going towards diesel for tow rigs?

Even your clan leader Crash gave up the big block gasser for a diesel...Why?

Is it a sheeple thing?

Is it the yuppie thing to have for the commute to Bellevue every morning?

or could there actually be merit in the fact that a diesel rig will out tow and out last the same truck with a gas motor...hmmmmmmm

I had a big block Ford that I custom built for a tow rig, and while it was fun to drive it was **** compared to my diesel for towing & mileage.

Hurry up and go buy a gas rig so when you start complaining....which wont be long we can all sit back and say...

I told you so :rolleyes:

Jobless said:
or could there actually be merit in the fact that a diesel rig will out tow and out last the same truck with a gas motor...hmmmmmmm
BAAA-AAA-AA-AA :flipoff:

If you also look at the reality of it all--- how many do you know who have gone back to a gasser after having a rattle box/oil burner? Not a one that I know of. I for one will never go back...

03 CON said:
Never said I was even close to a diesel tech or anything like it, sure sorry I called and injector pump the wrong name, sure glad you could jump right on and dog me rather then to teach me something...:rolleyes:
As far as diesel advice, I stated I own one of each, gave my impression of both, there is no diesel bashing by any means other that stating the truth that diesel prices are way high for what it is.
Thanks for your suport.:D

Your fired :D

For thr ammount I use mine I can't justify spending the money for a deisal.The old gas powered POS seems to do what I need now if you want bling buy one if tow everyday I would buy one.Since I don't and mine gets used to haul old shiat to the dump or tow.I don't care what gets messed up either the chevy does not owe me a thing and if I scratch it or dent it who cares. My 2 cents

wayne_fj40 said:
For thr ammount I use mine I can't justify spending the money for a deisal.The old gas powered POS seems to do what I need now if you want bling buy one if tow everyday I would buy one.Since I don't and mine gets used to haul old shiat to the dump or tow.I don't care what gets messed up either the chevy does not owe me a thing and if I scratch it or dent it who cares. My 2 cents

I used to say the same thing wayne. Now what about when your rig gets to the point that you wanna be able to make longer trips and so forth. hack maybe even come down the NWW hammers trip next year? What then... Ya I was in the same boat and glad I jumped ship...:;

There is also certainly something to be said for making do with what you've already got. But seriously, if you were looking at replacing your existing truck, would it be with one that has a gas engine or diesel engine? If you were looking at 5-10 year old trucks, would you want a gasser or diesel with 100,000-150,000 miles on it? I think a Cummins or Powerstroke would be your better bets. Brand new, GM and Dodge don't even offer torquey big block/v10 gas motors anymore. Would you really want a 4.7 or 6.0 liter gasser for a tow rig? I could see Ford's 6.8L V10 as a viable alternative for someone who plans to tow/haul heavy and absolutely does not want a diesel in a new truck, but that's about it.

What in the hell is a fuel distributor on a damn 12 valve? Yea I'm definitely taking diesel advice from that guy :rolleyes:

And I would expect anyone being on this forum is an "automotive guy/girl". I would think everyone would love better mileage, a quicker truck, better towing if it was as simple as plugging in a box. Or grinding down a plate.

Lucky Jeff said:

And I would expect anyone being on this forum is an "automotive guy/girl". I would think everyone would love better mileage, a quicker truck, better towing if it was as simple as plugging in a box. Or grinding down a plate.

I have a cool box of wrench's :;

crash said:
I have a cool box of wrench's :;
I definitely like your box :redneck:

Karl, Stock my truck puts down 180 at the wheels. With free mods (grinder) I jumped up to 326 (mustang dyno) 338 (dynojet, same day). Plus it picked up fuel mileage. And it's been my DD since I bought it. The only thing I don't like about it being my DD.. Is I put too many miles on it. I'd much rather put them on some POS throw away. But the funds are limited :beer:

Karl---I have a friend that has a 4.7 in his Dodge. He tows about 7000lbs. He gets 8 or less towing.

I have an 01 5.9 gas. It does what I want it to do. When I purchased it over 5yrs ago it was great. Diesels have become much more popular, and I have towed with them. It is a night and day difference. My next truck will be a diesel. I like to buy a truck and keep it for awhile, with a diesel I know it will be a better investment. Sure it may cost a bit more in the beginning but it will last much longer.
Plus all the COOL KIDS have them.....

Boomer said:
There is also certainly something to be said for making do with what you've already got. But seriously, if you were looking at replacing your existing truck, would it be with one that has a gas engine or diesel engine? If you were looking at 5-10 year old trucks, would you want a gasser or diesel with 100,000-150,000 miles on it? I think a Cummins or Powerstroke would be your better bets. Brand new, GM and Dodge don't even offer torquey big block/v10 gas motors anymore. Would you really want a 4.7 or 6.0 liter gasser for a tow rig? I could see Ford's 6.8L V10 as a viable alternative for someone who plans to tow/haul heavy and absolutely does not want a diesel in a new truck, but that's about it.

What about the 526 big block from GM 8.8L this is the most power gas motor put in trucks. But I would go with a new diesel.

ICEHAWK said:
What about the 526 big block from GM 8.8L this is the most power gas motor put in trucks. But I would go with a new diesel.

I bet it gets like negative 2 miles to the gallon too. :redneck:

Latest posts