• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DNR Immunity Law email campaign

Mines done and About 30 of my people should be filling theirs out soon. Thanks for the heads up and keep em coming! We can keep it but we gotta fight for it!

There's at least one legislator out there looking at correcting this. No details yet, but stay on here, I could have news before too long.

There's at least one legislator out there looking at correcting this. No details yet, but stay on here, I could have news before too long.

:awesomework: Now if this legislator can get other legislators on board....:awesomework:

Most of the R's in Oly shouldn't be an issue, and he thinks a lot of the rural D's will get on board. When we get more solid footing, I'll let everyone know who might be the best targets.

Hmm.... from my rep

I'm not a member of the committee that addresses these types of issues, but I've learned that legislation is regularly introduced to bring about the change you're suggesting. I think state agencies like DNR would welcome these policy changes, but other stakeholders oppose them for various reasons. Without sufficient support, it's tough for any bill to make it through the legislative process.

If a bill addressing the Recreational Immunity Law ever makes it to the Senate floor for a vote, I'll keep your comments in mind.

BTW, I've not heard of any public lands being closed down due to this statute.

Darlene

BTW, I've not heard of any public lands being closed down due to this statute.

Darlene

Yeah, but this part of the immunity law allows a loophole for the lawyers...scares the landowners into not allowing access/DNR into not allowing man-made extreme obstacles on trails...

The response I recieved:

Dear Mr. *****:

Senator Kastama is currently out of the office, but we have received your message and will see that the Senator has a copy upon his return at the end of the month. In the meantime, I will be bringing your issue up to both our Senate committee staff and our legislative liaison with Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and we look forward to any additional information.

Mary Sherman Legislative Assistant to Senator Jim Kastama 25th Legislative District Olympia Office

Done sent to Senator Margarita Prentice & Representative Bob Hasegawa 11th district :awesomework:

thanks for the making it fairly easy, im entirely to lazy to come up with that on my own...:mad::haha:

Response from Sen. Brandlands Office

10/19/09

Leonard, Thank you for your message regarding Recreational Immunity Law (RCW 4.24.210 - "liability of owners or others in possession of land and water areas for injuries to recreation users - limitations." 1967).

Legislative intent regarding the above is stated "Nothing in this section shall prevent liability of a landowner or others in lawful possession and control for injuries sustained to users by reason of a known dangerous artificial latent condition for which warning signs have not been conspicuously posted."

In 2001, the Washington State Supreme Court found in favor of the state in Davis v/ State of Washington explaining that an injured recreational user must prove all four elements in the injury-causing condition or the landowner is not liable: 1) known 2) dangerous 3) artificial and )4 latent.

Over the past six years legislation has been brought before the body addressing liability which have not been adopted. Several measures dealt with a access fee to be used in immunity statute. As this is of interest to you and family, I will keep informed whether something does come up in the 2010 session.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Senator Dale E. Brandland

Bunny Hooper
Sr. Legislative Assistant
Senator Dale E. Brandland
360-786-7682