• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dude, check out this Rover.

here is my favorite "web" rover - a custom 100" defender, built from the ground up on a range rover frame, an SIII body, and defender front clip:

12" bilstein 7100's on each corner, 8.25x16" michelins (~35") 300TDi rover diesel motor

DSCN0709.JPG

that guy drove from california to moab on biodiesel, wheeled the **** out of most the trails there and drove home.

comfortably. you're not going to do that in most of the ghetto crap in these other pictures. rover is about building capability and english manners - you can tear up any rig but getting one to be as nice as this one takes real effort.

oh, nothing - but this isn't a thread about other rigs, it's about rovers. :flipoff:

i've always appreciated the discipline that goes into a project like the blue defender, and the respect the builder and owner have for the finished product.

it's not hard to bolt on big tires and to completely trash a rig in a matter of hours or weeks. getting one to perform a dedicated task repeatedly and without fail is another matter, whether that's a comp. rock buggy, a good work truck or, in this case, just a nice wheeler.

SeaRubi said:
oh, nothing - but this isn't a thread about other rigs, it's about rovers. :flipoff:

i've always appreciated the discipline that goes into a project like the blue defender, and the respect the builder and owner have for the finished product.

it's not hard to bolt on big tires and to completely trash a rig in a matter of hours or weeks. getting one to perform a dedicated task repeatedly and without fail is another matter, whether that's a comp. rock buggy, a good work truck or, in this case, just a nice wheeler.

Rovers suck, don't you know that?? :haha: :haha: :haha: :redneck:

What you said about beating a rig is why I dumped the XJMJ, I didn't like it anymore, it looked like junk even though it worked good.

My other Jeeps were nice, and if they got a dent it was fixed. :;

Dude said:
Rovers suck, don't you know that?? :haha: :haha: :haha: :redneck:

What you said about beating a rig is why I dumped the XJMJ, I didn't like it anymore, it looked like junk even though it worked good.

My other Jeeps were nice, and if they got a dent it was fixed. :;

Then why try and DD/WW such a large rig out here?

Kelly said:
My rig is smaller then a rover, and look at it :hi:

That's exactly what I am saying. If you actually wheel and use your rig, than here in the PNW, expect some damage.

I do respect that people actually care for the way thier vehicles look, and they take care of them. Don't say you're hardcore when your rig is shiny with no body damage. :rolleyes:

Chrome don't get you home.

KarlVP said:
Don't say you're hardcore when your rig is shiny with no body damage. :rolleyes:

what does "wheeling" your rig have to have anything to do with hard core?

Want a tour of some bridges and other things I have been apart of and built way before you were even here in WA??

I'll bring ya some pics from Naches, I have known who Gary TJ is since he first bought the Jeep he has now. :;

I meet Dirtball before his Jeep is what it is now at a show and shine from the Tamers when I bought one of the first TJ's in this area. It was at Central when they first opened.

Do you know Rick Newcomb? Rob? or anybody from 4x4NW??

Want to meet some real flattie guys??

I would say being involved and being some part of wheeling most of your life might fit the bill better.

you shouldn't judge people on the net, it's silly. :;

Just my 2 cents.

Dude said:
I would say being involved and being some part of wheeling most of your life might fit the bill better.

you shouldn't judge people on the net, it's silly. :;

As per your criteria of wheeling most of your life, yup that's me so I guess I fit the bill.

Thbbbbbbbbt...... :flipoff:

KarlVP said:
As per your criteria of wheeling most of your life, yup that's me so I guess I fit the bill.

Thbbbbbbbbt...... :flipoff:
Thats good, glad to hear it.:cool:

we can disscuss this in person, the net is not the place.

Kelly said:
My rig is smaller then a rover, and look at it :hi:

not really. a rangie is 2" shorter overall length than your rig, and has 5" less wheelbase. the rover is about an inch wider stock for stock. with those tires you have it's kind of a moot point.

so no. your rig is hella large compared to a rangie. :corn:

KarlVP said:
If you are trying to keep them clean than Rovers + PNW = :rolleyes:

You need a flatty out here to keep it clean. A flatty locked on 33's with a winch = :cool:

it's definitely more of a challenge, but no more so than wheeling any other full bodied rig.

a defender is about the same size as a jeep, so your point is lost here.

KarlVP said:
If you are trying to keep them clean than Rovers + PNW = :rolleyes:

You need a flatty out here to keep it clean. A flatty locked on 33's with a winch = :cool:

The original Land Rover had an 88" wheelbase, a Defender 90" (or 110") wheelbase, Discovery's have a 100" wheelbases. Breakover angles, approach, and departure angles are also very good. There are plenty of ways to slam a Land Rover, but fitting down the trail isn't usually considered one of them.

Edit: There is also an 80" Land Rover.

Last edited:
SeaRubi said:
not really. a rangie is 2" shorter overall length than your rig, and has 5" less wheelbase. the rover is about an inch wider stock for stock. with those tires you have it's kind of a moot point.

so no. your rig is hella large compared to a rangie. :corn:

Don't believe it for a second....Prove me wrong. I've parked next to many of thoes english POS's, and they're larger then a ZJ.

Kelly said:
Don't believe it for a second....Prove me wrong. I've parked next to many of thoes english POS's, and they're larger then a ZJ.

The pics in this thread are of the Range Rover Classic (RRC). Here are the measurements

Mostly from wikipedia. RRC length came from (http://www.4x4xfox.co.uk/factsheets.asp):

ZJ:
Wheelbase: 105.9 in (2690 mm)
Length: 176.7 in (4488 mm)
Width: 69.2 in (1758 mm)

RRC:
Wheelbase: 2540 mm
Length: 4470 mm
Width: 1780 mm