• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dude, check out this Rover.

Dude said:
Most of the people on here do not act the same in person, that aggravates me to no end.

As for me? I am an arrogant asshole who does know way more than most on here give me credit for.
Yeah yeah, we ALL know way more than most people give is credit for on here, suck it up :rolleyes:

And I'll rib you about your Rover just as much on the trail as I do here (which isn't much actually), and I'll expect *friendly* ribbing about my POS Jeep in return. Ask anybody who's wheeled with me, I'll get owned by some rock, and I don't care, the next guy that can't run it without a cable will be notified that it is because he has square headlights or whatever :flipoff: It's all in fun.

Having a stuffy British grocery getter does not make you too good to be ribbed. I'm sorry if that's what they told you at the dealership. :flipoff:

CrustyJeep said:
I was referring to Dude's lame little "SMACK".

You Rover guys take **** too personally. What is it with you guys, does driving a :rb: British grocery getter twist your panties up in a bunch or what?

:flipoff:

Seriously, ever since Dude got a Rover, he's been stuffier than Prince Charles with a stub shaft up his ass.

I'm not taking anything personally. I'm talking about trucks, not people. Are you?

--Craig

Last edited:
Jaydog said:
Wow, that's impressive, I didn't realize that they were close to the same as a TJ.

whos a rover guy? i've owned a scout, two rovers, and now the rubi.

my LJ is the worst flexing 4x4 off the lot i've had. and that's comparing it to my old leafer scout traveler. my '72 4x2 chevy pickup flexed better than this jeep.

four wheeler tested the TJ in 1996 scored it at 466.

SeaRubi said:
whos a rover guy? i've owned a scout, two rovers, and now the rubi.

my LJ is the worst flexing 4x4 off the lot i've had. and that's comparing it to my old leafer scout traveler. my '72 4x2 chevy pickup flexed better than this jeep.

four wheeler tested the TJ in 1996 scored it at 466.

With or without swaybars?

And I don't give a crap what you wheel. But I do have to add, the first rover was a Jeep. :flipoff:

KarlVP said:

And I don't give a crap what you wheel. But I do have to add, the first rover was a Jeep. :flipoff:

with - for both scores. rover @ 703 with swaybars, heep at 466 with swaybars. iirc, the heeps improve to around 600 with discos

a rangie will score around 800 with the swaybars disco'd. discoveries won't get that high because they've got stiffer springs to compensate for the extra steel and glass hanging over the rear axle.

the spring rate on rangies is 133 in/lb on the front, and variable 150~178 in/lb on the rear. with the boge strut sandwiched between the frame and 3 link on top of the axle, they can still carry and load-level 1600lbs over the rear axle.

i don't expect anybody here to shut up or be impressed, just trying to keep the facts straight here :flipoff:

KarlVP said:

this has nothing to do with owning a Rover.

But after owning as many Jeeps that I have, I have become discouraged with the the brand. The LJ has a weak frame, All the axles are junk on Jeeps, and over all the Jeep is highly over rated.

Toyota's weak spot for me is the engines, no power with out an engine swap.

Scouts were a built rig out of the box, but the bodies rust off and the parts are getting harder to find local unless your connected.

Full size is just too big, we all know that.

Buggies are the way to go, but I like a full bodies rig for wheeling and don't compete, so why go there.

basically The Rover RRC or the 90/110 were always been my favorite of all the rigs ever made. I have finally purchased the rig I have always wanted, and it has all the amenity's I do like, comfort, AC, quality that is hard to match, good after market backing.

The RRC I have also takes very little after market things to have it work for what I like to do, and only 1 thing to change out, which is still a factory part.

KarlVP said:
If the rovers are so badass, why don't you see more of them on the trail?
Because they are SO elite, that showing up on the trail would just be a redundant excersize in proving the obvious. Why scratch up your superior British paint job for no good reason? :haha:

KarlVP said:
But why not here? I'm not trying to be a **** or anything but why don't people wheel them here?

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but here's my take from my own experience (My dad and I split seat time in our D90 for 8 years or so wheeling most areas of this state and Moab, I've had a disco for a year that's seen some abuse):

First off, initial price means that there are just far less of them here in the states to saturate the market. Also with safety standards here, they can make and sell em way cheaper everywhere else. For example, D90s stopped being sold in the states after the 97 model year since 98 had to have dual airbags and it would not have been financially responsible for LR to redesign the whole inside/dash for the few they'd sell here.

Another big issue we ran into was availability of parts. You can break a jeep anywhere and prob meet someone else on the trail or at camp that has what you need and the tools to fix it. If not, a near shop prob has it. If you break something odd with a rover, chances are, you're on your own til you can get something flown in from somewhere far away. Also parts seem to cost 3X as much. One year, we broke a rear axle in the D90 (pulling a broken jeep up moab rim) on the first day of our vacation and couldn't get a replacement to make it within the week. :mad: Therefore our trip was severaly hindered. Now of course you could always keep a healthy array of spare parts, but the ease just isn't there.

I like rovers cause they're easy to work on, built like tanks (look under stock rover vs stock jeep), and are different than what you always see on the trail. That being said, they certainly have downfalls as I've mentioned. The moab broken axle experience and cost of parts is what finally made dad sell the 90. Well, that and the family grew bigger so he built a scrambler :D

I guess it all just comes down to what you preference is. Do ya like jeeps, rovers, toys, scouts, early broncs, fullsize, etc.? Or do ya like switching things up occasionally? Personally, I've loved the rovers I've been able to wheel. I'll continue to hate my jeep until I can wheel it :redneck: And who knows what I'll build down the road... I'd like to do a series II or III rover cause I love their lines, but who knows...

Anyways, that's just my $.02 from my own experience :beer:

CrustyJeep said:
Quit being so intelligent Eric, this could have turned into a very entertaining flame war :D

My bad...

Rovers don't produce as much smog as they produce SMUG! Their drivers/ owners are stuffy eletists far worse than any buggy guy or gal could ever hope to be!! **** doesn't stink in GB which is why rover's breed owners the way they do. Here in the laid back and enlightened USA, we keep on the tradition of the first real 4x4 engineered to be better in every way than every other worldly attempt at recreating such a vehicle!

better? :redneck: :haha: :corn: