• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dude, check out this Rover.

Nuzzy said:
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but here's my take from my own experience (My dad and I split seat time in our D90 for 8 years or so wheeling most areas of this state and Moab, I've had a disco for a year that's seen some abuse):

First off, initial price means that there are just far less of them here in the states to saturate the market. Also with safety standards here, they can make and sell em way cheaper everywhere else. For example, D90s stopped being sold in the states after the 97 model year since 98 had to have dual airbags and it would not have been financially responsible for LR to redesign the whole inside/dash for the few they'd sell here.

Another big issue we ran into was availability of parts. You can break a jeep anywhere and prob meet someone else on the trail or at camp that has what you need and the tools to fix it. If not, a near shop prob has it. If you break something odd with a rover, chances are, you're on your own til you can get something flown in from somewhere far away. Also parts seem to cost 3X as much. One year, we broke a rear axle in the D90 (pulling a broken jeep up moab rim) on the first day of our vacation and couldn't get a replacement to make it within the week. :mad: Therefore our trip was severaly hindered. Now of course you could always keep a healthy array of spare parts, but the ease just isn't there.

I like rovers cause they're easy to work on, built like tanks (look under stock rover vs stock jeep), and are different than what you always see on the trail. That being said, they certainly have downfalls as I've mentioned. The moab broken axle experience and cost of parts is what finally made dad sell the 90. Well, that and the family grew bigger so he built a scrambler :D

I guess it all just comes down to what you preference is. Do ya like jeeps, rovers, toys, scouts, early broncs, fullsize, etc.? Or do ya like switching things up occasionally? Personally, I've loved the rovers I've been able to wheel. I'll continue to hate my jeep until I can wheel it :redneck: And who knows what I'll build down the road... I'd like to do a series II or III rover cause I love their lines, but who knows...

Anyways, that's just my $.02 from my own experience :beer:

Second hand info, but there is a place in Salt Lake City that has rover parts, and they're not easy to work on at all, ask Sam :;

Nuzzy said:
Rovers don't produce as much smog as they produce SMUG! Their drivers/ owners are stuffy eletists far worse than any buggy guy or gal could ever hope to be!! **** doesn't stink in GB which is why rover's breed owners the way they do. Here in the laid back and enlightened USA, we keep on the tradition of the first real 4x4 engineered to be better in every way than every other worldly attempt at recreating such a vehicle!

better? :redneck: :haha: :corn:
Intelligence used for evil. I like it :haha: :corn:

Kelly said:
Second hand info, but there is a place in Salt Lake City that has rover parts, and they're not easy to work on at all, ask Sam :;

The body work you did on mine was pretty easy to do though, wasn't it?? :kiss:

Nuzzy said:
Land Rover...

The Best 4X4XFar :D

when I was globetrotting, saw lots of L/Cs but no L/Rs...
if it makes you feel better, didn't see no CJs at all.
ohhh, also saw lots of Mogs, couple of Pinsgauers, and a few Nissans
T

TreeClimber said:
when I was globetrotting, saw lots of L/Cs but no L/Rs...
if it makes you feel better, didn't see no CJs at all.
ohhh, also saw lots of Mogs, couple of Pinsgauers, and a few Nissans
T

L/Cs are absolutley very prevelent around the world... I love the FJ40s :super:

And I truely mean this... My life won't be complete until I've owned a Mog. Purely Awesome:tank:

CrustyJeep said:
Because they are SO elite, that showing up on the trail would just be a redundant excersize in proving the obvious. Why scratch up your superior British paint job for no good reason? :haha:

ROFL.

Actually, scratching up the paint doesn't really matter. The aluminum body panels underneath don't rust :D ... they dent like a mother though.

In general, I'd have to agree that most people that buy newer Land Rovers don't buy them to be a trail rig. They buy them to be a status symbol. I'm not real familiar with JEEPS but I believe you see a similar thing happening with the typical consumer who buys a Grand Cherokee. Like the Grand Cherokee, Land Rover is getting further and further from its roots as a 4x4 work truck company.

The Land Rovers that are good for off-roading are the older ones. Series, Defender, RRC, and Disco I. You don't see them on the trail for the most part because there just weren't that many of them sold in the US. In Africa, Europe, etc you'll see more of them (and Toyotas) off-road than you'll see Jeeps.

The Discovery Series II (1999-2004) is still capable off-road, but was the beginning of the end for Land Rover. They restylized it, and it was a hit. Sales went through the roof in the luxury soccer mom SUV market. Since then its been more and more and more gadgets and electronic doo-hickies. The AWD system is mostly targeted at skiers rather than off-roaders.

Most Land Rover off-roaders will tell you that they won't buy a new Land Rover when they replace their vehicle. Jeep and Toyota are both doing a better job of going after the off-road market than Land Rover these days.

The old Land Rovers do great off-road, but there weren't too many of them sold.

--Craig

KarlVP said:
One quick question.

If the rovers are so badass, why don't you see more of them on the trail?

I rest my case.

I don't know about the Disco's and the other Rovers, but in 1990 the year I have only a few over 5000 RRC's were ever exported to this country.

The parts can be very expensive if you do not no were to look, my alternator alone is in the $250 range, rear tail light lenses are I heard in the $200 range and so forth.

If you are not afraid to jump into something like a Rover parts on the RRC imperticular can be found relatively inexpensive.

does a Jeep come with a full floater rear end? 3:1, a very low stock COG?? self leveling rear suspension? Way better birds than a Toyota ever had?
A ride that can not be matched? Aluminum V8 ,3.9ltr. with less horse power than a 4.0 but more torque at a mid range RPM?? Rear factory disc brakes?
all in 1990. :;

the list goes on Karl, I don't want to say this but I am done with Jeeps for a reason. :;

The 90' RRC I have is just a better rig to start out with than a Jeep of even today. and all for a very low cost, which we all love. :kiss:

When I am done I will have an all geared transfer case at 3:1 low range with a low lock, a full floating rear axle with 30 spline alloy shafts and a Detroit locker. A lift chaper than buying the long arms alone for a TJ/LJ. and with a metric 33 I hear of a 10" diff clearence can be had.

why wouldn't I want to build this thing?? :corn:

and it's paid for, total investment will be under $5000 when done. :D

Most Land Rover off-roaders will tell you that they won't buy a new Land Rover when they replace their vehicle. Jeep and Toyota are both doing a better job of going after the off-road market than Land Rover these days.

yep - i'm proof of that.

Dude said:
why wouldn't I want to build this thing?? :corn:

and it's paid for, total investment will be under $5000 when done. :D

We are attacking the 'Con in Oct. I hope to see you there. I'll be in my stock jeep on 28's. Bring your rover stock.

KarlVP said:
We are attacking the 'Con in Oct. I hope to see you there. I'll be in my stock jeep on 28's. Bring your rover stock.

why? it's not like it's a hard trail. :haha: :flipoff: is your Jeep stock? no lockers?

so when do you really want a show down? I will run just a rear locker, or can I also use a tiny little 2" lift also. :D

you would be toast, and you know it. :flipoff: :haha: