• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Early toyota fuel injection

zig80toy

When did toyota start offering fuel injection in their Celicas? 1983? 1984? Are the heads on these motors compatible with the 20R block? Will the EFI setup on these heads bolt up to a 20R head? The reason i ask: I saw a picture of a 22RE out of a 1984 Celica and even though there was a big 22 sticker on the valve cover the head sure looked like a 20R head. Whats the deal?

zig80toy said:
When did toyota start offering fuel injection in their Celicas? 1983? 1984? Are the heads on these motors compatible with the 20R block? Will the EFI setup on these heads bolt up to a 20R head? The reason i ask: I saw a picture of a 22RE out of a 1984 Celica and even though there was a big 22 sticker on the valve cover the head sure looked like a 20R head. Whats the deal?

84 is the best I can remember and in 84 they used open chambered heads so--you could use your block with that year...

no factory EFI will work on a 20R head, bolt patterns and ports are different. '83 was the first year of available EFI on celicas, they used an analog, fuel only fuel injection system. easy to identify, it has the older rounded valve cover and a vacuum advance distributor like a carbed 22R.

you could put an '83-84('81-82 22R engines didn't have the correct bosses for the EFI manifold) head on a 20R block and sort of make a bastard 20RE, but don't expect any high performance out of it, the chambers are actually a couple CCs bigger than the 20R head so it might lower that 20R 8.4:1 compression a bit more.

Thanks, this is exactly what i was looking for. I'm still trying to figure out a way to get fuel injection on my 20R. I have a 22R/20R motor with a weber on top. It runs great and has tons of power but doesn't do so well when the truck hits those steep angles. thanks for the input.

easy. Make an adapter to go from the carb manifold to a gm tbi setup and put a few sensors on, wire it in, and you are done.

GaryTJ said:
easy. Make an adapter to go from the carb manifold to a gm tbi setup and put a few sensors on, wire it in, and you are done.

Yes, but wouldn't the GM tbi be too much for a little 4 banger?? whouldn't I need a smaller throttle body?? I really dont know...