• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Earth is crazy

patooyee

The Derweze Door to Hell:

In 1971 they were drilling for natural gas when they hit a pocket in Turkmenistan. The drilling rig fell in and a crater opened up that is about 50-100m wide. Since methane is a greenhouse gas the best thing they could think to do to stop it was to burn it. They figured the flames would go out after a few days but its been burning ever since:

11372581.jpg

4671890969_6a168485e1.jpg

Flaming Gas Crater (Night) / Turkmenistan, Darvaza

J. J.

Lake Peigneur Mining Disaster

A drilling rig in this Louisiana lake accidentally drilled into a massive salt mine creating a huge whirlpool that sucked in boats, 11 barges, and trees and reversed the flow of a canal that normally flowed out of the lake and into the Gulf of Mexico. It took 3 days to drain the lake and when it was over 9 of the 11 barges popped back up like corks. As the canal reversed flow it sucked in saltwater fish from the Gulf that had never been there before that now thrive in the lake and can't get out. The drill bit that started it all was 14" dia.

Lake Peigneur Mining Disaster

J. J.

Wow. I don't have time to investigate :flipoff1: as I'm a skeptic, but coming from you its generally legit. The Guatemala one is trippy as hell. :eek: Wonder how deep it is. It looks like its in rock, so it's not like its a "sink hole" in in softer soils, its a perfect hole in rock. I've seen AVP, I know where that **** comes from laughing1 :flipoff1:

blacksheep10 said:
Wow. I don't have time to investigate :flipoff1: as I'm a skeptic, but coming from you its generally legit. The Guatemala one is trippy as hell. :eek: Wonder how deep it is. It looks like its in rock, so it's not like its a "sink hole" in in softer soils, its a perfect hole in rock. I've seen AVP, I know where that **** comes from laughing1 :flipoff1:

I remember seeing it all over the news when it happened and thinking the same thing. I think they determined that the hole was formed originally by prehistoric lava chute and then over time the hardened lava wore away and left the hole. It was just a matter of time until the soil on top gave way at that point.

J. J.