• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

F.A.G. driveshaft build.

H

Handover Fist

Figured it was about time to post a little build thread. Went down to the shop this a.m. and whipped up a new front prop shaft for my Toyota.

I picked this shaft up at the swap meet the Guy said it was heavy duty .120 wall dom. I figured he was full of **** but I couldn't pass up the deal.
First order of business was to throw it in my trusty do-all ban saw.
driveshaft5.jpg

I found out real quick that I was dealing with run of the mill .060 hrew so I grabbed a piece of 3x.250 wall dom. Figured that would be more than stout enough to slam and grind on rocks all day.
driveshaft8.jpg

Next stop, the lathe :awesomework: I had to turn down the OD of the original shoulder to 2.50 luckily there was extra material to work with.
driveshaft7.jpg

Cut the tubing at 13.125 inches then took about .065 off each end to square it up then added a weld chamfer.
driveshaft3.jpg

On the joint end I didn't have extra meat to work with so I left a little bit of the original tube to bridge the gap.
driveshaft6.jpg

A few tacks once I had it in phase then it was over to weld shop where I fired up the 250 synchrowave tig. This also about the time my battery took a ****.
driveshaft9.jpg

Charged the battery then took this pic before install.
driveshaft2.jpg

In the truck and ready to rock.:fawkdancesmiley:
driveshaft4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! :awesomework: Are you going to get it balanced or just run it as is?
I'd heard that the steelworkers were all gay now, but I didn't believe it unitl just now! :rb::fawkdancesmiley:

Thanks.
I'm going to run it as is, everything was squared up on the lathe so I was confident everything was true.

Took it for a test drive and no vibes:awesomework:

The F.A.G. is a joke going around work, every time I make parts for a rig the guys call it Fisk Automotive Goodies :haha:

Nice, but a dial indicator will get you on the money. .015" is a good minimum run out.
Once the tube is tacked to the yokes, spot heating the tube near the yoke and quenching it with water will help pull the run out into spec.
Looks stout though.
What are your yokes, the long ones to be precise?

Thanks for the tip on the runout 44. I wasn't too concerned because its a trail and rocks only rig. I believe the long slips are trailqueer pieces I bought the shaft used.