• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Harbor Freight Welders

patooyee

I have tiny little stainless welding jobs at all of my restaurants that I always have to do. Most mobile welding places will charge a $150 fee just to come out and then an hourly rate on top of that. Its never mroe than a 1-minute job but they all charge an automatic hour for the first hour and then split in half hours from there. Their hourly rates are in the $85/hr range, which means it would cost $235 for a 1-minute welding job that I can easily do.

So I've been lugging my 220 Lincoln around with the tank and plumbing and its just annoying as hell dealing with all that for a tiny little 1-minute job all the time. So I'm thinking of getting a small cheap little 110 unit that is pure flux core that is easier to haul around when I need it.

Was looking at this model:

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887-8494.html

Anyone have any experience with it? It doesn't need to be a power house. We're talking thin gauge material, 1/8" at the max.

I know it would be a lot more but have you looked into the miller suitcase welders?Really small and would be handy as crap.

I haven't really looked at anything but HF simply because if I have to spend much more than $200 its not really worth it. I'l just keep lugging my heavy 220 machine around in that case.

A Miller would be nice though.

mdo817 said:
Didn't think you could weld Stainless with flux-core ???

Actually, I'm looking for flux core stainless wire and not finding any. Why is that? I can always use regular wire but stainless would be better ...

patooyee said:
Actually, I'm looking for flux core stainless wire and not finding any. Why is that? I can always use regular wire but stainless would be better ...
I have never seen any, but I am a machinist, not a welder, hopefully some of those guru's will chime in.

A tiny straight DC tig welder and a tiny bottle will do that job all day. If the welder has a simple design with few buttons or knobs, there is a good chance it would be reliable.

I don't know how to TIG, am not going to learn for this, and most of the time the welds are in odd, less than ideal positions. MIG is going to be my personal greatest chance at success.

I do want a GOOD TIG machine to do aluminum with, but that's another topic.

I use to use stainless flux core wire all the time when I worked as a welder for the railroad. We also dual shielded with 100% co2

Yeah, every flux core wire I find says "gas shielded." Why use flux core if you still have to use gas?

Re: Re: Re: Harbor Freight Welders

yankster said:
For what you are doing I'd get a 110v stick welder and some small diameter rods. the cheapies from HF or Northern Tool weld better than you might think.
These rods make a novice look like a pro. Very smooth and almost no spatter.

308 for stainless to stainless
http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products_catalog.cfm?Product_ID=37

and 309 for stainless to mild steel.
http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products_catalog.cfm?Product_ID=42

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

I would suggest the stick welder option also. No need for wire and then if or when you did learn to TIG you could scratch start a stick welder and tig up a joint that you could get to easily.

stainless rods can be very difficult to weld unless in flat postion you have to weld vertical up. the slag will run in front of you and the weld will just ball up not stick. with some practice rods would be the quickiest if you are just doing small amount of welding plus less stuff to go wrong with machine but if you have good amount of welding mig is the way to go

JJ, I have that exact welder that you enquired about but have yet to use it. If you were any closer to Birmingham I would let you have it to use as long as you wanted to see if fits you. Let me know if you are coming towards Birmingham any time soon and I'll hook you up with it. G thumb.gif