• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I had an accident...

JOOP

I WON a COOKIE
I was helping a friend out by towing his vehicle across town. Well the accident occurred during load up. My truck was parked facing down hill. (I should of known better). I had my parking brake set hard and the truck in park. Well loading up his truck a C10, My truck pops out of park and starts rolling down hill for about 30 feet. Right into a parked Ford Ranger, pushes the truck sideways and up on the sidewalk. Then for some reason my truck stopped about 15 feet prior to plowing into a yaris.

My bumper is ****ed up. Going to go get estimates tomorrow. The other truck you couldn't tell because it was already a beater. So as far as we could tell (the owner and I) it was fine.

So now I'm worried about my tranny. Should I be?

So you took a DODGE with a CHEVY hooked to it and rammed a FORD and then almost hit a TOYOTA? :scratchhead:

You almost ****ed up one of every worthwhile brand out there. :wtf:

Go **** up a jeep next time and leave the good **** alone.:haha:

So you took a DODGE with a CHEVY hooked to it and rammed a FORD and then almost hit a TOYOTA? :scratchhead:

You almost ****ed up one of every worthwhile brand out there. :wtf:

Go **** up a jeep next time and leave the good **** alone.:haha:

Damn Dodge :haha:

That allmost happend to me and my dad while we were loading a old shitty chevy pointing down hill. it was really close to a parked car the owner seen it and moved it.. 10 sec later the back end lifted up from the trailer and 15 feet down the hill it went... I allways have someone holding the breaks on the inside now...

Are you sure it popped out of gear or even let go at all or did it just take enough weight of the rear wheels to let it roll (one wheel peel) or slide (posi)?

Are you sure it popped out of gear or even let go at all or did it just take enough weight of the rear wheels to let it roll (one wheel peel) or slide (posi)?

It could of. I don't know. All I know is my little ass was trying to push on the trailer fender to make it stop. Which even while it was happening. I was thinking "WTF is my little ass going to do here" :haha: It happened when he was coming forward and was about 3 feet on the trailer then hit the brakes. Then I heard a bang and it started rolling, then another bang when I hit the Ford.

I guess the weight of the truck could of lifted the trailer hit making the back tires light and the sucker started rolling on the fronts. Maybe?? I don't know. All I know is I don't want that to happen again.

It could of. I don't know. All I know is my little ass was trying to push on the trailer fender to make it stop. Which even while it was happening. I was thinking "WTF is my little ass going to do here" :haha: It happened when he was coming forward and was about 3 feet on the trailer then hit the brakes. Then I heard a bang and it started rolling, then another bang when I hit the Ford.

I guess the weight of the truck could of lifted the trailer hit making the back tires light and the sucker started rolling on the fronts. Maybe?? I don't know. All I know is I don't want that to happen again.

more than likely this is what happened. A chev truck is heavy and you have a normal car trailer (not allot of tongue weight) that is a perfect for shoving it down the road.

I did this once and had to step on the gas on the rig being loaded and get on the trailer fast so it would put enough weight on the tow rigs rear axle to stop again.

If it was facing downhill you should have been in the truck on the brakes as a precaution, live and learn i guess

If it was facing downhill you should have been in the truck on the brakes as a precaution, live and learn i guess

Yep I know. But I was guiding the truck on the trailer. So I was stuck. Live and learn. Now I need a new bumper.. I might go fancy after market.

As soon as the tires hit the ground the truck should have skidded to a halt..

Yep I know. But I was guiding the truck on the trailer. So I was stuck. Live and learn. Now I need a new bumper.. I might go fancy after market.

Big fancy one just in case it happens again:fawkdancesmiley:

This is why I chock my tow rig tires before I climb my buggy on/off the back. :eeek:

Ahhhh but see this just makes too much sense now doesnt it:cool:

This is why I chock my tow rig tires before I climb my buggy on/off the back. :eeek:

nope... you should chock the trailer tires, when i was in high school i worked at equipment rental stores and delivered equipment and had a scare or two and then started chocking the trailer. never moved after that.

it's good idea to chock the trailer any time you park on a hill. the weight of the loaded trailer ia alot to expect a little stamped steal lever on a little thin gear cog to undure.

thats what i was thinking happened too.

to avoid this, throw a jackstand under the rear of the trailer.

On a somewhat related note......About 5 yeras ago I was on a job site in downtown Seattle when I heard a comotion comming from out on the street. 9th avenue with a good slope.....Semi driver dropped a load of precast concrete panels like probably close to 100,000lbs worth. That morning they started unloading the panels with a crane and unloaded the front of the trailer first which was uphill. When the weight was removed from over the trailer jacks it started rolling down hill.:eek::eek:
Luckily it only went a few yards and then stopped.
If they had chocked the wheels this would have never happened.:rolleyes: