• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

is an exo cage street legal?

Dont know for sure but there are rules (laws) about having anything projecting from the vehicle that may cause harm to others. Cops are really good at using such rules to nail you for anything.

Mud Flaps. Get them and you'll be fine. :awesomework:
My dad drives this to, and sometimes back from elbe and evans with a HUGE set of mudflaps (cut from rubber bed mat :redneck: )
100_0070.jpg

I have a full exo Toyota and tube bed, lifted, tires, etc. My brother drove it to high school last year and got a note from the puyallup police chief saying if he ever saw the truck on the road again, he'd impound it. I had mud flaps, lights and both licence plates. Technically it would have violated bumper height, and "tires under wheel wells", and in violation of making the police chief jealous.....
Don't know the technicality of the law and an exo cage, but that's my experience.

Been seeing this 90's maroon yota truck with well built cage and a spare mounted to the back with CAT mud flaps driving around alot lately last place I saw was off 72 Portland ave . As long as your lic/tabbed/lights/mudflaps all the way around and not too jacked up they shouldn't fuwk with you they have no right too.Right after i seen the yota saw a ridiculous caprice with huge tires and lift and the cops right behind them:haha:

Call your local LEO or State patrol. Dont rely on the opinions and hearsay of forum members. Do some WAC and RCW research. whatever covers vehicles.

This is kinda like asking your facebook friends if you should see a doctor about a rash you have.

Last edited:
Call your local LEO or State patrol. Dont rely on the opinions and hearsay of forum members.

This is kinda like asking your facebook friends if you should see a doctor about a rash you have.

But I have 2 doctors as facebook friends :redneck:

Call your local LEO or State patrol. Dont rely on the opinions and hearsay of forum members. Do some WAC and RCW research. whatever covers vehicles.

You have a rash? :eeek:

Street legality is a moot point if it doesn't protect the occupants is anything harder than a flop. There is a reason real cages are built differently than the typical exo and they stand up. There is NEVER any crossbacing between the a pillars and rarely much between the b pillars.

There is an RCW about "extrusions" from the body, IIRC the extrusion cannot be an further than 3" off the original body components...Nothing about an exo itself...research WAC's and RCW's...

What would be the differance between a exo cage... Or some huge home built bumpers? Ive seen some dangerusly over sized bumpers that i would concider ' a danger to others''

i just read the rcw and the wac. the rcw talks about outsiee width limit and the wac talks about measurement exclusive devices. i cant make any sense of it. it says safety devices are acceptable up to 3" but i dont think they recognise a cage as a safety device. they did talk about special equipment exemptions. its to bad we cant get our rigs recognised as special equipment. anyway im just as confused as when i started. kinda sounds like if they want to ticket me they can. this is a pretty beat toyota im trying make road legal and i dont think its gonna go over well. i can make everything legal exept bumper hight and the cage :booo:

Just look at the Asplund trucks, they have a huge halfa truck nose exo on them. Sitting in raineer is one I pass all the time, its a f450 with the whole nose covered in tube and it ties into the overhead rack.

Sounds like an EXO to me.

My buddie has a bucket truck with a huge front bumper that goes up and ties into a big platform on the roof just like an EXO cage.

All kinds of tradesmen drive trucks with ladder racks that are outboarded to clear a canopy just like an exocage.

Then theres the railroad trucks that have **** sticking off of them all over, way worse than an exocage.

The difference is most of these trucks have mud flaps and insurance and legit drivers. Most of them dont have any beer, firearms, drugs, etc in them.
Not really a target for LEOs.

Most toyotas with an exo have a open beer can, bag of weed, no mudflaps, suspended LIC, some sort of gun and generally look like an unsafe POS.

Even tho its legal you will still be a target so ya better roll clean.

chop shop, i hear what yer saying. of all the items you mentioned the only one that will be in my possession is a gun and i have a permit. the truck will be completely gone over for safety aswell as completely legal (other than bumper hight and possibly the cage) including mud flaps. but it will always look like a smashed up pos cop magnet. nothing can be done about that. i can even handle getting a ticket as long as im in the right, can beat it in court and keep the truck on the road. i just need to drive to the trail and back

Yah I look at my Jeep and compare it to Sam's rig, or Andy's.. and even throwing some tube up top will not make it look 'ghetto'.

as one of my neighbor LEOs said: "trash on the outside usually means trash on the inside"...

Which basically translates to: Exo cage or not, if your rig looks like a lifted pile of **** that they think is being driven by a drunk, don't drive at night -- you WILL get stopped if they see you.

Just make some simple bumpers that slide in/pin on like a receiver hitch on each side. Go to the trail with it hanging down, get to the trail and flip it up for ground clearance.

Jason has something like this on the Subota.

An exo cage does give a police officer something to give you a hard time over... but I think it comes down to if you are not driving like an a-hole I doubt you will get pulled over for just having an exo.

Latest posts