• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

KMC Wheels Suck!

And who the fawk used a 3/8-18 NPT for their threads on their locks? Walker Evans, WTF? I have to go buy a tap that I dont already have. And the sumbitch is like $24 from Fastenal, the only place I could find local to pick one up at. come on was 3/8-16 too standard? 3/8-24 same?

Redamndiculous!

blacksheep10 said:
so you would have been good just tapping and putting a brass pipe plug in it?

Yeah that is what they say, but I still think that is bunch of **** when you pay $250/wheel. You shouldn't have to fawk with anything, it should be a remove from box and mount situation. But again one wheel is fawked because the threads pulled through the shoulder of the wheel because their tolerences were off. Regardless those fawkers are sending me 4 new wheels on their dime, that are capped from the factory ;D

InDaShop said:
And who the fawk used a 3/8-18 NPT for their threads on their locks? Walker Evans, WTF? I have to go buy a tap that I dont already have. And the sumbitch is like $24 from Fastenal, the only place I could find local to pick one up at. come on was 3/8-16 too standard? 3/8-24 same?

Redamndiculous!

It is a tapered tap, as it is PT (Pipe Thread). I have one, want to send it back and forth US Mail?

John Galbreath Jr. said:
It is a tapered tap, as it is PT (Pipe Thread). I have one, want to send it back and forth US Mail?
yep, but its cool, I know I'll need one in the future if I'm running these wheels. So might as well throw down the $24 now.

6uldv8 said:
Wyatt....I'm sure I'm missing something but what on your wheels besides a plug or valve stem would be pipe tapped? Sounds very odd. ???
The lip that the lock ring attaches to. They are tapped with a 3/8-18 NPT (National Pipe Thread) that recieve a threaded insert. The insert screws into the aluminim on the wheel, it is what you actually screw the lockring bolts into. That way you have some security on the wheel for thread damage and what not.

I did say they looked good
Gardendale1-19-08016.jpg

Gardendale1-19-08017.jpg

New update on tap issue. Fastenal ordered the wrong one. Turns out at your normal autoparts store (Orielly, Vatozone, Pepboys) they carry Helicoil kits. that kit actually has the tap I needed in it. Ended up being a 5/16-18 not a 3/8-18. So I was a 16th off.

I got 3 of the 4 replacements today and it was same story, different day. These were actually worse than the first set in that they manually capped the valve stem hole by hand with a hex hed plug and put thread sealer all over it. Guess they did not notice the holes in the side of the holes were the threads had busted through. All I can say is wow, KMC makes the worst product I have ever seen, much less bought, and I have bought a lot of ****. So now I am without wheels, WOW is a week away. If I can't borrow Bailey's wheels/tires then I am out for the WOW and probably out for the ride the following week. Oh well, live and learn.

That is frustrating. Sorry to hear. I'll buy you a beer next time I see ya for guinee piggin' for us.