• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lets talk "airbags"

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So I deal with them here and there at work but nothing consistent. From what I can tell firestone bags are really good and we have had zero failures on them.

So whats good and whats a good price out there for the kits?

I was looking at the PacBrake stuff cause I want to do an exhaust brake all at one time. Evenything would run off the same compressor and air tank. I have also heard that Firestone makes great bags. I would think that a firestone system would work with a pacbrake exhaust brake, I was just going to order them from the same place at one time just to make it easy.

I have not made a purchase yet, just was looking.

I have now installed both kinds one on a dodge the other on a Ford real easy to install and neither have had any issues so far

I've had a couple sets. both firestone, ont set brand new (awesome), and a few sets used (awesome). I haul @4000 lb camper, and on occasion tow as well...cant imagine life with out bags. I use the two path system in my d-max so i can use them as a level-ing agent as well for my camper.

Love dem bags!!!:awesomework:

I had them on my old Crew Cab, :cool:...
It was not set up with onboard air but it was not a problem (but would have been nice).

I've had "airlift" brand bags on my last 3 tow rigs. Not one failure. I get a pretty good deal through my shops account at competition specialties.

I run Air lift on my chev for 12 years hauling my zuk on top of them and can't complane. The Kit for the front was for the vehicle and the set on the tag axle was for a 4x4 chev with a little modification.

Deal with both sets at work. Keep air lift on the shelf. Customers ask me all the time what the difference is. I say price because both kits are very reliable. The basic compressor that you can get seems to be the only fail point.

Airlift has thicker and bigger bags vs firestone from what I can tell , I've had air lift on my dodge for about five yrs never had an issue

I've had "airlift" brand bags on my last 3 tow rigs. Not one failure. I get a pretty good deal through my shops account at competition specialties.

same here. Have them on my current service van (E-350 16' box van) I come of the scales at the dump at 13,000 and have never had a problem with them. had them on the last MH as well with no issues.

I've installed all 3 brands listed. I do believe the Pac Brake bags are a bit nicer, but I've never had a bag failure with any of them.

We've built lots of custom air systems to meet specific needs. The weak points of the systems are usually the push lock fittings, but if cut at a perfect 90 they last a long time.

I would never tie both bags to the same fill without a valve in line. if you keep them separate they help fight sway, if you T them together the air will transfer side to side and make it worse.

Lastly as far as brakets are concerned, i try to install the bags that go under the frame just for protection and minimized leverage against the brackets and bolts.

I install both the Air Lift and Firestone kits on a regular basis. Either kit is a great kit, and I have never had an issue with either brand. When making my decision on the brands, its normally based on price and availability. You cant go wrong with either brand!

I sell mainly firestone kits, only time I've dealt with a bag failure was due to a tire blowing out. The big thing is routing the airlines. I usually route them and install 1/4" wire loom down the entire lengthy of the air line.

I install both the Air Lift and Firestone kits on a regular basis. Either kit is a great kit, and I have never had an issue with either brand. When making my decision on the brands, its normally based on price and availability. You cant go wrong with either brand!

This. Typically Comp. stocks more Firestone, but whichever is closest is generally what I sell. My old dodge is easily on 10 years with the Firestone kit I installed, my buddy still has it, my GMC is on Firestone's as well.

I went with firestones at the time because too many people were having leaking issues with the air lift setup. Don't have any first hand experience with that issue though, and I'm sure it's no longer a problem. My bags got a workout when I actually drove the truck :rolleyes: and never had any problems with them. Looks like they've gone up a bit.

I've had Firestones on my rig for over 10 yrs now...no failure as of yet. Only thing i would watch for, and is currently going on with mine is the top of the bag where it is molded to the ring/plate is cracking, but I just got back from a trip over the hump without issue...
My understanding is they come with a limited lifetime warranty (on the bags)-I talked with a Firestone dealer about this and it seems true...just need to pursue it a bit more now that most of my heavy hauling for the yr is done...will keep you posted on my results of this warranty thing.:awesomework: