• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Look At My Custom Holley Blue Fuel Pump!

84Toyota4x4

...Its the custom BBQ version apparently :rolleyes:

I was having trouble with the pump not holding pressure correctly last summer when I installed it in my street car (Mazda RX-7), but never really looked into it because I needed new jets to tune the Holley carb anyway. Over the winter I started the car up occasionally until one day, the pump just didn't run.

With spring approaching I decided to pull the pump out and figure out if maybe some gas had just gummed up the pump head. Got that apart and it was nice and clean looking, no signs of damage. Pulled the other end apart and it was a whole different story. Keep in mind this pump was brand new installed in July last summer, and only about 1500 miles on it at the very most...

IMG00231-20110413-1931-1.jpg

IMG00228-20110413-1930-1.jpg

IMG00225-20110413-1927-1.jpg

IMG00232-20110413-1931-1.jpg

My only speculation is that the pump is insufficiently sealed for weather, which allowed moisture to get into the pump (as evident by the dampness/water inside it), caused corrosion, which caused an excess current draw and overheated the pump. Oddly enough, it never blew the fuse through all of this.

Anyone else have issues like this with Holley pumps? Looks like I will be going back to a Carter fuel pump again. The one in my Toyota has been going strong for nearly 5 years through plenty of mud and water submersions :stirpot:

~T.J.

I plan on it. I spent a decent amount of money on the pump/reg combo and it never worked right from day one. Granted its completely out of warranty, but who knows. Im honestly having a hard time even believing the inside of that pump looks like that after such a short lived life on the car. Its mind boggling to me actually.

~T.J.

Sorry for putting it in the wrong section. I went back and forth as to where to post it, but since it wasnt a tech question per say and I was just "sharing" my misfortune, I thought the chatterbox was ok. Although, I guess I did ask if anyone else had a problem like this, haha.

~T.J.

--it could have gone both ways....

Like a bi-sexual.

Thats kind of scary though, wouldn't be fun to have that thing burn up while you were driving.

On that note, my roomate and I just installed that pump on his 4runner :haha:

Last edited:
scrap that thing..and get a gerotor style pump....waaaaay nicer...i have a holley red pump if you need one...i run mallory pumps on my stuff very smooth snd quiet..

I have used Carter pumps in the past, and I think I will continue to do so. I like that there is no shaft seal on them from the motor to the pump, and the motor housing is one big "bowl" type shape not layered like this one is. I will probably order another Carter with the next check so I can get this thing on the road again this spring/summer.

~T.J.

Last edited: