• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Matt's Cheerleader Jeep buildup thread...

i thought i was going to have to move the box also, but after i mocked it up, it lined up good
sorry for the many posts, trying to work and play at the same time

yjkrawlin said:
well, ive got 7 leaf waggies on front with xjs on the back, but the offset, isnt to much differant, with the high steer
Are you running the older (pre-'76) "dimpled" waggies? Those are centered. And shorter than YJ's...

Bah, I forgot to take pictures. You fawkers will have to wait 'til this weekend since I took the steering stuff to the shop and put it on the rig.

you poser :flipoff: cant wait man, can i get a budget on the steering? im buildin the xj's 30 on an extreme budget cause i aint pussyfootin around, skipping strait to a 60. i wish i had a yj, frames rock :redneck:

Hmm let's see...

Pass. knuckle... free
Driver. knuckle... $50
TRE's were about $40-50 apiece x 4
Tube was $70 for an 8 foot piece of 1.5 x .250 wall
tube adapters cost me $20 apiece x 4
Machining the pass. knuckle... $60
Studs + hardware for pass. knuckle was $25
Reamer was about $60
Machining for tube adapters + welding... $FREE (but would've cost about 80 bucks)

Sooo... $485. The major cost was going with TRE's over heims, but I want this to last and I want to drive the hell out of it on the road, so I didn't want noisy/loose heims in 4 months. :mad: :D

Ok... an update, things are getting closer and closer to being driveable, but not quite yet.

I set the gears up today in the front housing, and threw a coat of paint on and put it back under the rig and assembled the front axle. Everything's done up front except the brakelines... my stock hard lines are rusted and the corners just rounded off on the fittings, so I'm probably going to just re-do all the brakelines. Also, I'm going to have to run spacers up front or get wheels with less backspacing because there won't be room for the drag link end on the pass side. Oh well. Also, it's too tall. I think I'm going to ditch the goofy long shackles the rig came with... anybody got a set of stockers they want to trade for?

So, the things left to do to get it on the road are to swap out the transmission and install the fixed yoke it, have the new rear driveline shortened to fit, final weld the spring perches on the rear and mount up the u-bolts and some rear shocks, new brakelines or at least new flares and fittings for the front, and get the steering installed and adjusted/tweaked. Hooray. :cheer:

Pics below, cheers.

Last edited:
sweet matt, looking awesome, and thanks for the steering add up. so, when ya cuttin tha fenders? i got another 2 door cherokee BTW :flipoff:

If you decide to move your gas tank, it's really easy I can help you out.
449619_262_full.jpg

449619_265_full.jpg

For the comp cut I used 1" square tube and diamond plate.
449619_279_full.jpg

Dembones said:
If you decide to move your gas tank, it's really easy I can help you out.

Killer, I was laying under it last night pondering what to do. I'm going to want to move the tank down the road, mainly so I can move my muffler back underneath where the tank is and behind the axle, so as to make room for an anti-wrap bar where the muffler currently sits. Of course, the other benefit will be that the gas tank can't get dented/punctured too. :)

Well, front is going to be about 1.5" wider on each side than in the pic. That's going to be the minimum spacer size I can run, just barely fits the drag link end on the high steer arm with my 1.5" spacers on the front. Guess I'll order two more 1.5" spacers for the back to make it match up, and call it good. Glad I'm not full width already, that would've made things REALLY wide. :redneck: