• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

More Diesel ?'s

The 6.ohshititblewupagain is a turd period. Soot buildup? hardly I'd bet cash money that wasn't why a good friend went through 4 engines, 3 in one truck and on in another. It was always something different that failed too. Complete and utter scrap metal.

Friends everywhere know best. If you don't think soot caused problems in those trucks, you haven't done much research on the motor. Soot caused issues on cummins and their turbo too when they adopted the EGR BS. Earlier 6.0's had their problems big time, and I'm sure that's what your buddy had. But get one of the later years with a couple little mods and they can walk all over a 12 valve with that "tinkering in the back yard."

Oh well, no changing some peoples minds anyways. I learned to think otherwise about the trucks/engines.

The 6.ohshititblewupagain is a turd period. Soot buildup? hardly I'd bet cash money that wasn't why a good friend went through 4 engines, 3 in one truck and on in another. It was always something different that failed too. Complete and utter scrap metal.

Find smarter friends :redneck:

Friends everywhere know best. If you don't think soot caused problems in those trucks, you haven't done much research on the motor. Soot caused issues on cummins and their turbo too when they adopted the EGR BS. Earlier 6.0's had their problems big time, and I'm sure that's what your buddy had. But get one of the later years with a couple little mods and they can walk all over a 12 valve with that "tinkering in the back yard."

Oh well, no changing some peoples minds anyways. I learned to think otherwise about the trucks/engines.

My comment isabout the soot issue being due to driving like grandma and not towing. His truck had a 12' camper and either an enclosed snowmobile trailer or his wheeler behind it.

I'll take the longevity of a 12 valve with a few mods for lower egt's and improved mileage over a uber tweaked penis extension that won't see 150k. I know I have a small pecker, no need to try covering it up with a little truck pretending to be a big truck. :flipoff:

Crash I think he sorta did get smarter. He ordered a new ferd with a 6.7 scorpion. We'll see how long it lasts. :redneck:

Well obviously I'm a fan of the 12 valve. But I don't feel the need to call the others crap. I've been in some pretty impressive trucks that have been used and abused and keep coming back with all engines mentioned.

And to the OP, if you want a 6.0. 05-06! Suspension is soo much nicer. Leafs suck.

First, the 6.0L doesn't use an injection pump....They use a high pressure oil pump, so you're argument that they suck sucks! :fawkdancesmiley:Second, why'd it get replaced??? They typically don't just flat out fail... I've seen high pressure oil pump failure (leakage) at 40K, on the 7.3L and 6.0L....
ALL makes/eras have their issues...and these can be made into a reliable powerplant with a few mods one would do anyway when hopping them up....Not to mention, that if buying used it's possible all the expensive upgrade stuff's been done!

Excuse me it was the frame mounted fuel pump. Truck had a miss And was only putting out 30-35psi. Point being you can polish a 6.0 all you want. End of the day it's just garbage. I still want to know why he needs a diesel?

If you're in a position to buy one now---then by all means!:D I agree also, that if you're gonna go with a 6.0L go with the 05-06 models for the reasons mentioned above; who knows, maybe the 'mods' will have already been done!...

by a 97 f-350 crew cab with a 12 valve an allison, and a kinpin 60 run for days and 200000 miles on a stock injection pump is fine in a 12 valver

I'm still trying to figure out why everyone still thinks the Allison is the end all be all.. They still fail over 400 hp.. Hell the Ford tranny has been able to out due the Allison since the 6 leaker went in. As long as you have the proper programming, that is...

NEVER BUY EDGE!!!
Or Banks
Or Bullydog
Or BD...
Or....

Bet those are a dime a dozen:rolleyes:

Real tow rigs are built not bought. :flipoff:

A much smarter than the previously mentioned good friend bought an 85 crew cab long box ferd. Swapped out the ttb for a ball joint 60, rebuilt the 460, put a shift kit in the auto decided the auto sucked so he put in a 5 speed. Still sucked so he bought a 95 C&C with a 12 valve and did a complete rebuild on it and it's NV4500. HX40, common rail manifold #8 plate 6.ohfawkitblewupagain intercooler etc. In the end he's got about 10G's into the ultimate tow rig that's all fresh and no payment. :D So not exactly a dime a dozen but they are out there.

I love the NV4500 for how it drives. But over 500 hp, SCREW IT! I'll take the ZF 6 speed in my truck out of a Ford or Chevy. Quicker shifts, and can actually handle some power.. I won't even be able to do 3rd gear burnouts in my truck. What's the point anymore? :haha:

The zf5 in my ferd works fine but I'd love to stick a 12 valve in front of an 18 speed double over. Never leave the powerband and walk away from hotter trucks on the hills. Let the gearing run. :redneck:

Ive heard mostly bad about the 6.0, however my buddy has one and said the "egr delete mod" gave him a few mpgs and some power. Not emissions legal though if you reside in a city. Still doesnt help the reliability issues i've heard about.

I bought a 99 7.3 about 8 months ago and i just love the hell out of it. Decided to chip it because it was a little sluggish but other than that it gets an A+.

The 7.3 fords are the last "good ol' truck" in my opinion. Manual tcase, fully manual hubs, manual trans and low gearing... perfect.

Not saying i wouldnt love a cummins but for $8k you just cant loose you know

I agree if you are a die hard FERD guy, get a '03.5 or older. There are things that you can do to a 6L to live but who want's to throw a ton into a truck you just bought?

Eddy, don't throw stones about front ends, we average 60k mi on ball joints in our poopydoodies. Not great in my book.

I see more bad ball joints on Fords than I do Dodges, and thats the honest truth. My Dodge has 140k on the OEM ball joints. One has a little play in it but not enough to cause uneven tread wear or affect the alignment. So it's staying put until it gets worse. BUT>>> The unit bearings suck. Already replaced one of those at 80k.

I see more bad ball joints on Fords than I do Dodges, and thats the honest truth. My Dodge has 140k on the OEM ball joints. One has a little play in it but not enough to cause uneven tread wear or affect the alignment. So it's staying put until it gets worse. BUT>>> The unit bearings suck. Already replaced one of those at 80k.

One side on my Ford has the original ball joints at 230,000......

My ferd has 130k on the stock king pins. The truck will wear out before they do. :flipoff:

Ball joints are where queers hang out. :haha:

I'm still trying to figure out why everyone still thinks the Allison is the end all be all.. They still fail over 400 hp.. Hell the Ford tranny has been able to out due the Allison since the 6 leaker went in. As long as you have the proper programming, that is...

NEVER BUY EDGE!!!
Or Banks
Or Bullydog
Or BD...
Or....

I still don't understand why anyone would go much over stock, stock lasts longer, and all the big three make plenty of power, I guess I got too used to my 6.2 that I had in my '83 Chevy, 0-60 in 4.3 minutes :haha:

I still don't understand why anyone would go much over stock, stock lasts longer, and all the big three make plenty of power, I guess I got too used to my 6.2 that I had in my '83 Chevy, 0-60 in 4.3 minutes :haha:

The basic mods, or on the newer trucks, a simple GOOD programmer will make the truck much happier. Run better, cooler, slightly more power and better mileage. It's when you do stupid stuff like me and want more and more that it becomes a problem. My Dad's 05 with just a Smarty kept on level 3 has been an awesome tow rig. He couldn't be happier with that truck. The brand new trucks though have just about the right amount of power bone stock. If I could buy a brand new GMC Denali dually tomorrow. I wouldn't touch a damn thing on it. I'd just drive it and enjoy it.