• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My "fullwidth buggy" build

PHILLBILLY1

Well, my LMC buggy didnt have a very long life. It worked well for me, but I wanted something different again. I got a wild hare and decided to stuff some axial axles under my mini-tuber. I got a killer deal on these things too! A guy traded me straight across for my MRC axles.:awesomework: I am thinkin it is like throwing Toyota axles under a Sami or fullsize axles under a Toyota right?? Works well for them.....:redneck:

Before:
crawler2.jpg

Stripped it down:
july2010055.jpg

First thing is first. The stock tie-rod is garbage.......
july2010052.jpg

Mounted the tires:
july2010054.jpg

The rear axle:
july2010053.jpg

So far...... More pictures to come as I build more

Last edited:
I only had one junk servo plate, so I went ahead and made new ones. They are servo mount/4link plates. Nothin fancy, but hey, they were free:redneck:
rccrawler001.jpg

Mounted up on the axles. They fit like a glove
rccrawler002.jpg

The wife has some kind of Jewelry party today, so that should give me plenty of build time:awesomework:

K...so I got the front end all linked and sprung. I went with triangulated lowers and parallel uppers. The shocks are temporary-ish and the tires may be temporary as well. I may be stuffing some flat irons back under it for some ground clearance under the axle.
Side view:
rccrawler003.jpg

Front view. This thing is wide!
rccrawler004.jpg

Here is a closer shot of my suspension setup. I am mainly using traxxas ends. So far the front has enough flex to sit on top of a 1.9 flatiron before using the rear suspension.
rccrawler005.jpg

The steering needs some help. I am going to do the zero-ackerman to the knuckles and see what that gets me.
rccrawler007.jpg

rccrawler006.jpg

Here is my projected wheelbase and width. 10" wheelbase and 7-3/4" center to center for my track width. (rear is only mocked behind it, not attached to anything) I plan on doing the same suspension for the rear though.:awesomework:
rccrawler008.jpg

Last edited:
Try to shoot for a 12.5" wheelbase max and that will put you up to a 2.2 comp rig.

Oh really? So is it no less than 12.5" or no more than 12.5"???
If I shot up to that W.B., I may have to run 2.2 tires on it, just so I can make it over anything. If I do that, I am affraid I may put too much strain on the LOSI parts.

looks like ****. but at least your dealing with something you can handle :flipoff:

Max is 12.5" You really want to take full advantage of it--make it 12.5"

I might bump it up to 12.5" as soon as I get bigger tires to accomodate that length. I am to the point now, where I wouldn't mind running in a comp.:awesomework:
looks like ****. but at least your dealing with something you can handle :flipoff:

Thanks!:awesomework:
That's the look I was going for:flipoff:

Ya you whould try a comp. Its a great group of helpfull folks and a good way to have a good time. I love them myself.

Got the rear of it all linked up......I just need to get some better shocks. I made a bunch of offers on some shocks, just waiting for responses:awesomework:

I'll post pictures of the rear setup tomorrow. It desperately needs shocks though. I have around 90 degrees of flex front and rear now........:eek:

So I built a little incline tonight, just to see how steep it could climb. This thing can damn near climb a vertical wall!:eek:

The incline was at least a 70-75* angle. It stuck to it like glue and didnt even lift the right front tire. Video soon to come......

WOOHOO!!! Got my shocks mounted finally and swapped out the Rovers for my Flatirons. Those rovers are a bit too small for my setup, I drag the diff everywhere. This thing has an enormous amount of droop. The flex is perfect, at just a shade taller than one of my tires.:awesomework:

Here is it sitting at ride heighth(basically 1-1/2" of belly clearance)
rccrawler011.jpg

Full droop(3-1/4" of belly clearance)
rccrawler012.jpg

poser shot(right at 5" is max)
rccrawler013.jpg

Front view, this thing is LOW.....
rccrawler014.jpg

I want a set of proline's new TSL SX's:cool: Those are a shade taller than the flatirons:awesomework:

Last edited:
I have all my stock losi shocks layin around, with nothing to do with them. So, I decided to throw a steering stabilizer on it!:haha:

It really serves no purpose, other than to look more "realistic", and to make people wonder what it does.:redneck:
rccrawler016.jpg

rccrawler015.jpg

rccrawler017.jpg

And it doesn't hit anywhere. Dang close, but it clears!

He is selling them, I got them but then I bought an ax10 and had no use for them. He got them back the other day. I think he wants $30 for them.:awesomework: