• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

sexy buggy build!!

PHILLBILLY1

I am modeling this one after a buggy I watched at KOH. It's not the same, but it will have alot of the same styling with some tweaks here and there to make it my own. Kinda hard to get the full effect, beings how it is a 1-dimensional drawing. Here is a picture of the real thing to give you an idea.....

buggybuild2.jpg

buggybuild1.jpg

....and my version:

buggybuild.jpg

This oughta be a challenging build:D

I'm shooting for about 12" to 12-1/2" Wheelbase. It's going to have AX10 axles, although I think nightcrawlers would suit it better. More than likely it will be running an AX10 trans as well, but I might change it up and throw a Divorced T-case in it. I'm gonna throw a set of 2.2 VP SLW's on it with a set of 2.2 Proline TSL's.

Made a little progress tonight.......

Main frame rails bent up:
buggybuild3.jpg

Got the two sides joined together and squared up:
buggybuild5.jpg

side view:
buggybuild4.jpg

As you can see on the front of the frame, I already made a change to the chassis from the original design.....:haha: I got a thing for that bend-up in the front.:redneck:

Last edited:
Okay, now I am out of material....:booo: This is as far as I can go tonight, till I get some more steel tomorrow......

Got the side rails built and installed:

buggybuild6.jpg

Coming together!!!:cheer:

Poke fun all you want....... Your Wraith won't know what hit it......:fawkdancesmiley:

And by the way, those blue mountains are definately sexy.

Not much of an update, but I made some shock mouts for the front axle. The factory mounts don't allow them to lean in very much at all, so I made these to give me as much play as I could need I can also flip them upside down to drop it a little if I need to.

buggybuild7.jpg

very cool build phil. please tell me you are using brakeline and not solid stock. haha heavy. if you are using solid, it is really cheap at olympia supply downtown right below the capital. like 6bucks for 20ft. you have to buy 20ft though. they will cut it shorter for free. I needed 2ft, and ended up with 20ft cut up. I gave a bunch away. i like the shock mounts :awesomework:

very cool build phil. please tell me you are using brakeline and not solid stock. haha heavy. if you are using solid, it is really cheap at olympia supply downtown right below the capital. like 6bucks for 20ft. you have to buy 20ft though. they will cut it shorter for free. I needed 2ft, and ended up with 20ft cut up. I gave a bunch away. i like the shock mounts :awesomework:

HAHAHA!!! It's solid stock alright!:awesomework: Yeah, it's going to be heavy, but it will be planted to the rocks pretty well.:redneck: Thanks for that line on the steel. I will have to go get me 20 ft. of it. I have other buggies and misc stuff people want me to build, so I will burn it up in no time.

Those stock shock mounts always get me when I am building a custom rig. They almost limit what you can do, as far as shock location. There is only so far you can lean them back before they interfere with the tire while turning and flexing. At least this way I can still lean them back a little if needed, but more often I find myself wanting to lean them inward.

I was a little worried trying to make the curve both the fenders identical, so I came up with a bending die. Found an old Toyota pulley I had laying around, and the crotch of the pulley is perfect for bending 3/16 and the diameter was near perfect for the curve I was trying to achieve.
Here is my new tool
buggybuild8.jpg

In this picture you can see at the top of the pulley, where I drilled a through hole and welded a pin in it to act as leverage for when I am bending. Worked flawlessly!!
buggybuild9.jpg

Here is my final product.
buggybuild02.jpg

From the front:
buggybuild01.jpg

I must have really caught the bug today......

Got the lower windshield bar/A-pillar done:awesomework:
buggybuild07.jpg

Top view:
buggybuild06.jpg

Time for that little piece that connects the fender to the A-pillar:
buggybuild05.jpg

I got anxious and wanted to do the roof line, so that was my next step:redneck:
buggybuild04.jpg

From the front:
buggybuild03.jpg

Scootin right along!! I am assuming it will be sitting on it's own weight by the weekend......

That looks pretty bad ass. I have never built one of these before, but I have an old tmaxx laying around and I want to build a set of maxxles and a tube chassis. Are you mig welding the joints?

That looks pretty bad ass. I have never built one of these before, but I have an old tmaxx laying around and I want to build a set of maxxles and a tube chassis. Are you mig welding the joints?

Thanks! I am welding all the joints:awesomework: I have a Lincoln 140HD and I am running .030 flux.:awesomework:

That tmaxx would be pretty sick like that:redneck: Do it:awesomework: