• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

naches/manastash memorial day???

This is not a closure. this is a extension of a closure that is already in place and it is there to protect our trails from some unhappy hiker/ecologist trying to shut them down. Along with providing safety to recreational users from down or unsafe trees. Look at it how you will but it is what is needed.

I disagree...

I disagree...

You always have the rule and the exception.

The Exception:
Bypasses being created around downed trees that ill equipped wheelers don't have the tools to cut down.

The Rule:
You and others like you having the proper knowledge and equipment to handle this situation. (which in this case is the majority of wheelers)

The problem is the MINORITY has a far worse effect than can be accepted and it is a current risk we can not afford to take.

It is all about Operational risk management. Does the risk (one 3 day weekend of wheeling) outweigh the cost (CLOSURE DUE TO LACK OF EDUCATION) IMHO I would say no it does not.

The excerpt where it appears users used this system.

The reason we are implementing this closure is twofold

Take yer horse, hiking boots and/or bicycle to the Naches cause that's the only trails open until June 15th.

However if conditions allow, trails can be opened as they are approved before then.

With current conditions expect to see trails opened on 6/15/11 and probably not before.

This is a temp closure as Naches was open until this came down....I do agree with it though.

May be that this person has confused the Naches Wagon Trail with this current new closure.

The Naches Trail (westside) will remain closed until July 15th as it has in years past. The eastside of the Naches Trail is affected by the new closure.

That's the thing, we need to all be under same the understanding that, a muddy area is NOT damaged... It is part of the trail... Being part of the trail, it will change as the weather changes...

Yes, this is correct. Going off trail is unacceptable but I believe this closure would still have happened if nobody was off trail. The FS didn't like the condition of the trails in the spring. The FS decided a long time ago what they wanted independent of the public. My wife worked for Dept Fish/Wildlife and they'd do the same thing. Make their decision and then get public input but the decision never changed. They would also do this in cooperation with FS and DNR. The trails are closing, enviroweenie hikers we're heading your way, hope you like company.

Yes, this is correct. Going off trail is unacceptable but I believe this closure would still have happened if nobody was off trail. The FS didn't like the condition of the trails in the spring. The FS decided a long time ago what they wanted independent of the public. My wife worked for Dept Fish/Wildlife and they'd do the same thing. Make their decision and then get public input but the decision never changed. They would also do this in cooperation with FS and DNR. The trails are closing, enviroweenie hikers we're heading your way, hope you like company.

I'm not ignorant to the way things are going down... I keep pretty informed...

When I was a kid, the Naches Trail was known for how muddy and fun it was when wet... That was back in the '70s... Now you wont be able to wheel the Naches area until it's bone dry...

I do what I can to help maintain our trail systems and keep them open...

Trails get wet and get messy... Then dry out and get easy... Volunteers work on them... Then it gets wet and messy again... As long as we stay on the trail, I don't see a problem...

When I was a kid, the Naches Trail was known for how muddy and fun it was when wet... That was back in the '70s... Now you wont be able to wheel the Naches area until it's bone dry...

Trails get wet and get messy... Then dry out and get easy... Volunteers work on them... Then it gets wet and messy again... As long as we stay on the trail, I don't see a problem...

And in your post is the whole problem. People dont stay on the trail. Once it gets rutted so deep that the "average" user cant get through then user made bypasses happen. New trails get built and existing ones get widened out. These are things that are just unacceptable to the FS. Unfortunatly this is their only way do deal with it. (make sure it dosent happen)

Read post 183 one more time. :awesomework:

Our organized
motorized clubs/associations who help clear trail each season have requested
that we consider a seasonal closure to prevent folks from busting through the
snow and going around downed trees on the trail.

This is the problem as I see it. Clubs/associations closing our trails. Who needs the greenies.

I have...

Please report to above post...

Reported. Know I agree with your above post about mud and ruts. Trails should never be closed due to mud and ruts. Downed trees are something else though.

Mud is part of washington hence why I have never really focused on this part of the closure. downed trees are a pretty big deal. My father drove over there two years ago when all the big damage happened and brought back pictures I have never seen that many trees down in one spot it was insane.

I also agree that users shouldn't ask for closures but find a way to assist in patrolling troubled areas to keep from damaging them.

Reported. Know I agree with your above post about mud and ruts. Trails should never be closed due to mud and ruts. Downed trees are something else though.

Mud is part of washington hence why I have never really focused on this part of the closure. downed trees are a pretty big deal. My father drove over there two years ago when all the big damage happened and brought back pictures I have never seen that many trees down in one spot it was insane.

I also agree that users shouldn't ask for closures but find a way to assist in patrolling troubled areas to keep from damaging them.

I understand the concern with downed trees, but there are a lot of people that head over early and clear a lot of them... Memorial Day at Naches is a tradition for a lot of families...

Myself, I feel that our trials change with the seasons, as long as we stay on the trail there shouldn't be a problem...

The same trail that gave you a challenge and you had to winch because of mud and ruts, will be a 2wd trail in the dry part of the summer...

That goes for any of our trail systems...

Pretty soon we wont be able to wheel at all during the wet season...

I believe we all need to be on the same page and understand that, trail use is not damage... It's a cycle that the trail goes threw with the seasons... Just because it's tough to get threw, doesn't mean it needs to be fixed... Building solid by-passes to get around the hard parts and leaving the hard lines as a challenge is my line of thought...

Going off the trail is damage... That's something we really don't need to debate... I think we all agree on that...

I believe we all need to be on the same page and understand that, trail use is not damage... It's a cycle that the trail goes threw with the seasons... Just because it's tough to get threw, doesn't mean it needs to be fixed....

The problem with this logic is that there are many people who don't agree. Greenies will argue (and win) that ruts funnel water down a trail and cause erosion which effects more than just the trail. They take pictures of this and threaten to file law suits if it's not repaired forcing the land managers to take action....

I understand the concern with downed trees, but there are a lot of people that head over early and clear a lot of them... Memorial Day at Naches is a tradition for a lot of families...

Myself, I feel that our trials change with the seasons, as long as we stay on the trail there shouldn't be a problem...

The same trail that gave you a challenge and you had to winch because of mud and ruts, will be a 2wd trail in the dry part of the summer...

That goes for any of our trail systems...

Pretty soon we wont be able to wheel at all during the wet season...

I believe we all need to be on the same page and understand that, trail use is not damage... It's a cycle that the trail goes threw with the seasons... Just because it's tough to get threw, doesn't mean it needs to be fixed... Building solid by-passes to get around the hard parts and leaving the hard lines as a challenge is my line of thought...

Going off the trail is damage... That's something we really don't need to debate... I think we all agree on that...

:awesomework:

The problem with this logic is that there are many people who don't agree. Greenies will argue (and win) that ruts funnel water down a trail and cause erosion which effects more than just the trail. They take pictures of this and threaten to file law suits if it's not repaired forcing the land managers to take action....

That's why we build water bars and silt ponds...

If we could get a 1/4 of the people that use the systems to help at work parties, most of this wouldn't be an issue... If we(wheelers), would take a preventive approach toward our trails, we would resolve a lot of the issues that create these so called "problems"...

Going in and building solid by-passes along with run off capture is something we should be doing before there is a thread of closure...

That's just my opinion...

If we could get a 1/4 of the people that use the systems to help at work parties, most of this wouldn't be an issue... If we(wheelers), would take a preventive approach toward our trails, we would resolve a lot of the issues that create these so called "problems"...

Going in and building solid by-passes along with run off capture is something we should be doing before there is a thread of closure...

I agree!......Most of the trails we have aren't designed and built to pass modern day standards so it's an ongoing battle.

I want to say, that I'm not here trying to stir the pot...

I honestly believe that we need to start approaching our trails systems this way... It's the only way in my opinion that we will keep them open...

I for one, have no desire to work toward keeping a trail open if there are going to be no challenging lines... We can build easy lines and keep the hard lines within the trail corridore...

I'm just sharing my views in hope that others will see things in a different light...

Something many of us educated users have been saying for years.....