• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Oh mighty ferd 8.8

Oil can

ok this is a cry for assistance from all those ford 8.8 gods out there...:worship:

im looking for a location to get these answers or the answers them selves.:eeek:

what years on explore and ranger did the start using a posi rear end?

what year on explore and ranger did they go to disc brakes?

it seem there are 29 and 31 spine opions for axles.... was that based off of motor size or year?

thank you for your time.

that will be all.........:mad:

No explorer posi, im pretty sure.

96 and new for discs and 31 spline.....

If im wrong, please anyone correct me

Yes, some came with limited slip diff...my old 96 had L.S. diff...
yes 96 and newer came with discs...
the ealier drum brake 8.8's had either 28 or 29 spl axles, and the 31 spl axles were from 96 and later...

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371713

www.pirate4x4.com and search

www.google.com and search

*key word/words "ford 8.8"

dont know about explorer 8.8's being posi but they did offer LSD... mine is late 90's and has factory discs.

No explorer posi, im pretty sure.

96 and new for discs and 31 spline.....

If im wrong, please anyone correct me

Yes, some came with limited slip diff...my old 96 had L.S. diff...
yes 96 and newer came with discs...
the ealier drum brake 8.8's had either 28 or 29 spl axles, and the 31 spl axles were from 96 and later...
No.

All explorer 8.8's are 31 spline. All ranger 8.8's are 28 spline, except FX4 Level II trucks.

Limited slip was available all years, all axles, except D35 TTB/IFS.

1995 was the first year for rear disks in explorers. I believe '10 was the first year for ranger rear disks.

The two 1994 explorers I have parted out in the past had 28spl drum brake 8.8's...
pulled from JU thread....
To get rear disc brakes and 31-spline axle, you need to look for a 1995 to 2001 Explorer or Mountaineer. Earlier years use drum brakes and may be 28-spline. Different vehicles may have the wrong bolt pattern, width, spline count, or brakes. A 2-door Sport Explorer may be a donor past the 2001 cut off. Also, Explorer SportTracs with production dates of August 19, 2002 through June 29, 2005 are equipped with 31-spline axles and rear disc brakes and are exactly what was in the previously listed 95-2001 Explorer. Before Aug 19, 2002, the Sport Tracs were equipped with the smaller 28-spline 8.8 axle shafts and used drum brakes.

Did you count the splines? Every first gen sploder 8.8 I've had apart was 31 spline. Just cause they are drum brake doesn't mean they are 28 spline.