• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project: Bumble Bee 5.3L V8 Swap!

CharlieInTheTrees

Well, so far I have order a Chevy 5.3L engine with a 4L60E 4wd Tranny. Today, Just stripped my Jeep down so i can pull out the motor. :D This might take awhile since finals are coming up but I will try my best to keep ya'll inform..:D

Parts List on Order!

2005 5.3L Vortec Engine with Wiring Harness
2005 4L60E 4WD Tranny
2002 ECU
Advance Adapter Gen III Motor Mount Kit with A/C
Speedway Block Hugger Headers
Speedway LS1 Water Temperature Sender Adapter
Speedway LS1 Oil Pressure Sender Adapter
JB Conversions SS SYE Kit for NV231HD
Chevy NV231HD from Kelly (Thanks A BUNCH!)
AutoMeter Gauges Part #'s 7113, 7127, 7192, 7137, 7297, and 7288.

Parts List Need to get order....

Fuel Pump ??? Walbro 255lph
Wiring Harness and ECU Tune
Radiator ??? Ron Davis or Novak? Almost the same price

Pics of Progress....:D Sorry for the crappy phone pics...

IMG00080.jpg

IMG00081.jpg

What oil pan are you going with? I am thinking about using a rear sump moroso drag pan and pump.

I used the factory truck pan...It does hang plenty low, but it works on my rig fine. most jeeps I have seen them on have used the factory pan.

kid rok said:
What oil pan are you going with? I am thinking about using a rear sump moroso drag pan and pump.

So far, I am planning on using a F-body Pan from an LS1 with Pick-up Tube.

You will need to go with a different power steering pump if you plan on running hydro assist. I burnt 2 of the stock pumps up this weekend at the Hannibal WEROCK event.

WranglerSS said:
You will need to go with a different power steering pump if you plan on running hydro assist. I burnt 2 of the stock pumps up this weekend at the Hannibal WEROCK event.

OoH no :'(...At this moment my Ram hasn't been installed but will be when I get a D60 or 609...What pump should I get?

I am running assist with my stock 6.0 pump, and hydroboost. Works fine. I think these pumps are just as good as some out there.

You will need to go with a different power steering pump if you plan on running hydro assist. I burnt 2 of the stock pumps up this weekend at the Hannibal WEROCK event
Talked to Bill today about this, it has something to do with running the assist and resevoir. If I understood him correctly when he was on an incline and turned a certain direction the pump would starve for fluid. This eventually made it fail. If your running full hydro I don't think it effects it.

blacksheep10 said:
yes, I swapped the stocker out on my first 6 liter swap for a "high performance" 'spensive pump and it sucked balls. the stock one is just as good or better. laughing1

I have read of alot of HP pump failures on pirate, so when I am ready for full hydro, I am going to buy the can with all the fittings from PSC, and use my stock chevy pump with it.

What happens is with the reservoir being mounted on the back of the pump instead on top like some pumps it starves for fluid when the ram assist is fully extended and on an incline. What little fluid that is left in the tank after filling the ram is in the back of the tank and can't get to the pump. The pumps are fine if you mount a remote reservoir in front of the pump by the radiator.

Yea, I was afraid of this problem when adding my asssit, because single ended rams are not balanced, so I rednecked it with a long piece of radiator hose over the stock reservoir neck, until I get a PSC one, ghetto but keeps the pump from starving.