• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project "Willy Cheap Willys" Build thread

DHR Darren

Well I figured it is time I started a build thread on my 53 Willys I picked up from a member here in Sedro Wooley.

My plans for this are for it to be fun first and foremost. The build,parts sourcing,shop time and finished product all need to be fun. My drag race cars are so high maintenance and high end that I needed an "Escape" and this was it. I had a 56 Willys pickup on 60's back in the early 90's but it was stolen as it sat on the trailer in Kapowsin and I have wanted another ever since and finally made time for one.

My goal is a solid trail runner,good snow wheeler and fun woods cruiser.
It is to be powered by a mild 400 small block,TH400,Divorced 205,Big hub 44 with high steer and 5.13's and a locked 14 bolt in the rear. It is spring over with 2.5" BDS YJ springs and many fab parts sourced from site sponsor Barnes 4WD.

I have built a simple flatbed for it as it had no bed on it before. I bobbed the rear rails when I did that also.

Don't beat me up too bad as I have to tie the bed into the cage in-cab when I build it and the sliders,ect.

I stretched the front rails 8" when I did the spring and axle swap as I figured it would give me more room for the steering box,winch and I like the look better with the axle set forward.

^^This shot doesn't show the finished front end as I gusseted the hangers,capped the frame ends and am building a tube crossmember also.

Here is another angle.

Well I hope you like it, critique it, follow it and contribute to it as it has been a LONG time since I have built a wheeling/play rig and it's main goal is to be FUN!!:beer:

Last edited:
I like. You are moving right along. You are going to be out wheeling it before I get my engine and trans bought. :redneck:

Thanks boss!:beer:
How is yours coming...???

Welding is done for the frame boxing, just need to paint it so I can put the cab back on. Then I will need to get an engine and trans so I can start fitting them into place. When I have time, I don't have money, when I have money I dont have time. I did pickup a set of Dana 44s and a cj7 steering box though.

Welding is done for the frame boxing, just need to paint it so I can put the cab back on. Then I will need to get an engine and trans so I can start fitting them into place. When I have time, I don't have money, when I have money I dont have time. I did pickup a set of Dana 44s and a cj7 steering box though.

I know how that goes!!
What are the 44's out of?
What M/T are you going to go with...??

BTW, You notice the missing wing window...??? :redneck:

I know how that goes!!
What are the 44's out of?
What M/T are you going to go with...??

BTW, You notice the missing wing window...??? :redneck:

Scout 44s. I want a Chevy 5.3 or 6.0. Finding those isn't an issue. Its the Chevy nv 4500 that is a little rare.

And it is finally a roller....

Motor & Trans is in, waiting on a transfer case then I can build drivelines and shifters.

I need to get shocks and build mounts for the rear still.

I have to wire it as there is zero wiring in it. What do you guys suggest for wiring? All I will have are headlights,taillights,heater,engine wiring and stereo.

Oops!! A lil too tall. Looks like it will be going in the 16' bay when finished.