Reiter Final SEPA

Money Mark

Notice of Final Determination
http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/amp_sepa_other_reiter_nfd.pdf
Attachment A
http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/amp_sepa_other_reiter_attacha.pdf
Attachment B
http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/amp_sepa_other_reiter_attachb.pdf

....and there are 5 other PDF's. Read them all here: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/ResearchScience/Topics/SEPAOthers/Pages/amp_sepa_other_reitertrail_feb.aspx

What does it all mean? It means Reiter might open a year (or years) from now.......maybe......hopefully. There will never be a definitive "yes" or "no".....just steps to take and hoops to jump through. And you must win every battle along the way.

I now pass on the baton.......who will be the next "guy"?

Last edited:
Wow, 5 hours later and not a single comment......Well here's a couple things from the SEPA comments review that stand out to me.
Comment
1. The Goshawk is using at least a portion of this area for roosting and foraging and may even be
nesting in the areas proposed for ORV operation. To proceed with the SEPA DNR without
Goshawk next study results and potential project impacts is poor management. Construction will
be prohibited within .55 miles of a Goshawk nest

Looks like they're commiting themselves to a full time land manager.......
DNR is committed to blocking and visually screening access to the old roads listed in Comment #1.
In addition to blocking access, DNR will have an active management presence on the landscape,
enforcing penalties for off-trail travel.

Wow, 5 hours later and not a single comment......Well here's a couple things from the SEPA comments review that stand out to me.

This could bring things to a complete stop.:rolleyes:

Just means I need to take the silencer off my bike and ride some trails. :awesomework: I can scare that mothafawkin bird outta Reiter. :cool:

I haven't had a chance to sit down and read it. But all of us can agree there is always going to be BS like this and I for one am happy we are still heading in the right direction.

As for the
DNR will have an active management presence on the landscape,
I am sure that will be by grant after the fact and won't come from the general fund for the project like any current DNR person we deal with out there(like david Way).

Forward progress..

I am sure that will be by grant after the fact and won't come from the general fund for the project like any current DNR person we deal with out there(like david Way).

Forward progress..

That may be true but it wasn't my point. By the DNR putting this in writing on a SEPA document they're committed to having a full time person at Reiter (on site) basically forever during open hours. If something were to happen whre they didn't have that person they will probably have to close the gates.

That may be true but it wasn't my point. By the DNR putting this in writing on a SEPA document they're committed to having a full time person at Reiter (on site) basically forever during open hours. If something were to happen whre they didn't have that person they will probably have to close the gates.

Yes/no. Do we really know? Yes/no.

This actually is an easy question though rick. Take and just move somebody. david for instance is out there all the time--move him into that position or give him the title/something to that fact.

Yes/no. Do we really know? Yes/no.

This actually is an easy question though rick. Take and just move somebody. david for instance is out there all the time--move him into that position or give him the title/something to that fact.

There's been much discussion on this at the focus group meetings. The issue has been who's going to lock and unlock the gates being there's not going to be a presence there always. The parks open an hour after sunlight to an hour before sunset. In the summer that's about 16 hours or so. Now they need 2 people specifically for Reiter......It's not a matter of titles and such it's a matter of a person physically being there when it's open.
All in all I just see it as one more thing that could likely be a big problem down the road.:booo:

Last edited:

This could bring things to a complete stop.:rolleyes:

Welcome to life!

As a falconer this slightly interests me, but honestly, a goshawk will move. .55miles is NOT far enough away to not disturb them.

That being said, is foot traffic still allowed in that area.. i might do some hiking... i wouldnt mind a new goshawk... :fawkdancesmiley:

(this post above reflects my state and federal government licensing to be allowed to obtain and use for falconry, birds of prey, either captive bred or wild take)

There's been much discussion on this at the focus group meetings. The issue has been who's going to lock and unlock the gates being there's not going to be a presence there always. The parks open an hour after sunlight to an hour before sunset. In the summer that's about 16 hours or so. Now they need 2 people specifically for Reiter......It's not a matter of titles and such it's a matter of a person physically being there when it's open.
All in all I just see it as one more thing that could likely be a big problem down the road.:booo:

Till it happens I will keep :awesomework:

Most definitely something we should keep our eyes peeled on incase there is something we as users can help with...

Welcome to life!

As a falconer this slightly interests me, but honestly, a goshawk will move. .55miles is NOT far enough away to not disturb them.

That being said, is foot traffic still allowed in that area.. i might do some hiking... i wouldnt mind a new goshawk... :fawkdancesmiley:

(this post above reflects my state and federal government licensing to be allowed to obtain and use for falconry, birds of prey, either captive bred or wild take)

Yes it's open to foot traffic and ironically it's open to shooting but no hunting out of season.:;

Yes it's open to foot traffic and ironically it's open to shooting but no hunting out of season.:;

Not hunting... Just gonna locate their said goshawk (oh and take coordinates and send them to the DNR of the location), crawl up a tree to their nest... Take a baby bird... fill out my paper work (this goes back to the, i can do this and you cant since i have a permit :flipoff:) and shazam... i have an Eyass (baby) goshawk to fly next season! :awesomework:

Kind of cute when they are young...
focus%206%2010%2006%20cutie.jpg

Comment
1. The Goshawk is using at least a portion of this area for roosting and foraging and may even be nesting in the areas proposed for ORV operation. To proceed with the SEPA DNR without Goshawk next study results and potential project impacts is poor management. Construction will be prohibited within .55 miles of a Goshawk nest

Mating and breeding season is about... late march to say... late july. Thats a big area of time to closed an area for wheeling... during the best times of the year to be wheeling...