• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

revisiting old threads

jeffs_62

So it all started on friday when I went to order some tube.
I had wheeled my Scout for ten+ years, with nothing more than a single bar behind my head, with no down tube or triangulation.
Some of the things I've seen on this forum have brought to my attention the sheer stupidity of my decision to take this death trap offroad, and how very lucky I am to be here today. I've never flopped or rolled, but again, sheer luck.

So my question to you all is, if you had the money, the skill, the time, and the tools, what would you use to build a full blown cage?
The Scout is torn down right now so I intend on doing it right.

it's not so much the material.. ex dom, hrew,crew, sch__, the design of the cage is what is most important

my exo/inter cage is all .120 and .134 wall DOM

okay, so I get the "perfect" design. There has to be one superior product.

That's what I'm asking. What is the best stuff to use. And why.

DOM for sure, it's better then crew and hrew i am no expert of metals so hopefully some one that has more knowledge then i will chime in and give you a much better answer... i no for sure dom is much more dent resistant because it is not eneiled.. i think they "cr,hr,dom" are made of the same metal it's the process in which they are rolled/welded that changes the charicteristics of each one

and poop pipe is measure by the i.d so it is not the same thickness through out not sure what it is made of...

hope this helps

DOM for sure, it's better then crew and hrew i am no expert of metals so hopefully some one that has more knowledge then i will chime in and give you a much better answer... i no for sure dom is much more dent resistant because it is not eneiled.. i think they "cr,hr,dom" are made of the same metal it's the process in which they are rolled/welded that changes the charicteristics of each one

and poop pipe is measure by the i.d so it is not the same thickness through out not sure what it is made of...

hope this helps

Dom starts life as a welded tube and goes thru mandrels to condense the material and make it a consistent diameter. Chromo is the best cage material but its damn expensive and only marginally stronger than dom..Unless its heat treated(Insane to treat a cage but its done in cali, Very expensive)

Now JasonC will come in here and school doved and I.

As bunk stated--chromo is the top, but requires alot to take full benefit of the material..

Here is how I do them. Interior, Hrew or Dom. Anything exterior I prefer to use dom, its stong and more dent resistant due to the nature of the material. If your concerned with wieght you can run all interial tubing hrew(non bash zones).

Both hrew and dom are stong materials and for some its personal prefernce..

Dom starts life as a welded tube and goes thru mandrels to condense the material and make it a consistent diameter. Chromo is the best cage material but its damn expensive and only marginally stronger than dom..Unless its heat treated(Insane to treat a cage but its done in cali, Very expensive)

Now JasonC will come in here and school doved and I.

i should have mentioned cromo but i figured it was to expensive and over kill for most...