• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Running trails

Jobless said:
It's the rules that people need to be educated with.

How many of you have gone to Walker Valley and run the Express Way?

Did you go around the rock to the side avoiding it all together...well that is the illegal go-around.

Why is it illegal?

Because it is not part of the trail. Seems pretty straight forward & simple doesn't it.
By rules I meant what peeps were saying about having minimum specs for a specific trail. That's bullshit, the rig is only part of the equation. A bad driver with a capable rig can do much worse damage than an experienced driver in a stock rig.

Illegal bypasses are not cool by any means.

I think a single track on a trail should be established with no bypasses and that if an obstacle is to hard a winch point should be established. I think, anyone that does not have a way to winch themselves out is being an irresponsible wheeler, there are ways to winch yourself out without having to buy a high dollar winch, get a high lift and some chain or cables.

I understand challenging yourself/rig and I feel winching is part of wheeling and part of the education that is needed “Take the proper equipment†“Wheel with-in you and your rigs abilitiesâ€

FiFo said:
So what do you classify as "Prepared"? Are we saying that if you don't have at least 36" IROKs, Lockers front and rear, Warn 8274-50, and an Atlas then you shouldn't be on the trail because you're not "Prepared"? Should trails only be available to those who can afford a big $ Rig, and everyone else should just go to Tahuya? Or should we make every trail Tahuya easy so that the little boys can play too? By-passes open the trail system up to a wider range of users, with out making each trail end up like Tahuya.

Hypothetically speaking say your friend comes up to you and says "hey I just bought a 98 TJ with 31" tires and I want to get into wheeling. Can you take me out to some trails?" Are you going to say:

A) Sure, though you need to spend another $10K before hand.
B) Ok, but we can only go to Tahuya, or maybe 30 minutes worth of trails at Reiter
C) Sorry, you can't run the trails me and my friends run so you're SOL
D) Sure, I can show you some great trails and introduce you to some great people, and if it gets too hard for you, just take the by-pass around the harder obstacles.

Personally I'm going to take them out, and encourage them to take the legal by-passes if the obstacles are too hard for them. Maybe by taking them out we can show them how to wheel responsibly so that they don't turn into the type of Hill-Billy Rednecks that give the rest of us a bad name.

I'm no expert, but we tell them they can't come out w/o front/rear recovery points. The rest of us have winches, etc and can easily recover them or pull them up an obstacle . As they wheel, they get a better and better idea of what sort of gear to bring along. Then again, we wouldn't bring brand new folks on a really hard trail either. Not Tahuya easy, but we'd start people out on moderate trails until they are more comfortable with their truck and off-roading in general.

Last edited:
i have been on a couple of trails around washington and there isn;t alot of bypass if really any at all. i have been through sac up a couple of times and i don't even now what the original trail is. i think that it is wrong to teach new people that they can make there own way/bypass when on trail in different areas like evans or elbe there is only one way through the trail. i had to pull cable almost everytime i went out to elbe on the original big loop if it was called busywild or if busywild is the new trail.