• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SAS.....clunk...bang....

BigBluePile

Hello fellas, got a question on my '86 4Runner:

I recently did a SAS on my junk a couple of months ago and it turned out pretty swell. The issue I'm having is that I have this obnoxious clunk-clunk noise from the front as the weight of the vehicle shifts side to side while driving usually as I'm turning either way. I've retorqued the TRE's and cranked down the ubolts. I cannot seem to duplicate this sounds by shaking the front end side to side or bouncing the front end. Any ideas?????

Thanks!

I can try those next. It's just kinda hard to gauge how tight to get those. The front hangar is pretty easy to tell but the rear side with the shackles you can't really crank down so I usually just keep my eye on the thread count sticking out of the nut.

Also, it's a trail gear kit.....

Shackles/bolts/bushings. Either the springs are moving IN the bushing or the shackles are touching something at some point.

Maybe I'll go jump the piss out of it and see what happens.

I'll keep looking and tightening stuff up. Just wasn't sure if anyone else with a TG kit had this issue.....

Check your shackle angle for hitting. Put grease pencil marker on the back of the shackles and on spring sides then go flex it and look for traces of grease paint transfer.

Hmmm, ok I'll take a look at that too.

Would wheel bearings (loose preload?....I'd figured I would get other issues with this) or the knuckles make a clunk sound? Sometimes it's almost a bang! sound...it's hard to write out the descriptions....

Maybe I'll go jump the piss out of it and see what happens.

I'll keep looking and tightening stuff up. Just wasn't sure if anyone else with a TG kit had this issue.....

Not Me!!! Had an 86 SAS 4-Runner with trail mart stuff and didn't have any issues...:awesomework::beer:

Hook up your Go-Pro camera to view the knuckle area on each side while driving and see what you can see!!!:awesomework:

Last edited:
Driveshaft isn't even attached.

I'm gonna reseat the wheel bearings and check the knuckles and look over the shackles. I had to pull up on a berm tonight and as I came off the curb back to the street there was a LOT of racket.

:awesomework: sounds like a plan

Well, I have no idea wtf to look for now. I redid and increased the torques on the wheel bearings and the knuckles. Checked the shackles for clearance and tightened. Tightened the steering box.