• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Stuff removed from the other thread...

Not Jobless

Mr Funbags
Thas why you have work parties to manage/maintain a trail..

You can just build something and walk away and think it will hold up....

http://reitertrailwatch.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78&page=2

So help us understand what you are trying to say when the very folks that organize the work parties have already given up on certain trails?

Of course their mentality is that it is not on DNR property which may be true but may not defer responsability.

It was a decisions based on a # of reasons.

#1 that trail is more than likely gone due to the private land that not only resides next to the trail but into the trail

#2 Items used for baricades and such are being cut up and taken away so geting stuff is getting harder

#3 We chose to look at other trails that also needed work that are farther out with a less possablity of having work done destroyed/torn down

#4 We are too small of a group to point in one direction--if the userbase of help was much larger then we could look at sacup. But basicaly manpower is limited..

There was another reason I brought up but for the life of me--I cannot remember what it was...

But yes as much as I hate to have to bail on that trail -- but it wasn't because we wanted too..

So take all of this for what its worth...

perhaps if you have a means of blocking the bypasses more effectively, and with a minimum of manpower, it could be done, but we needed to finish one trail for sure, and perhaps now, with some fresh input, and muscle, we could tackle sacup again, but not with the lack of useful blocking materials

SO you need somthing like a log skidder(to lift them and drag them into place) and a bunch of ecology blocks and jersey barriers to use as barriers?

Old rail road Track?
Large rocks?

SO you need somthing like a log skidder(to lift them and drag them into place) and a bunch of ecology blocks and jersey barriers to use as barriers?

Old rail road Track?
Large rocks?

But there comes the othert problem---some times doing more damage trying to block off stuff... The key is to try and block off stuff without being to evasive to the surroundings...

found a long time ago that old winch cable wraped around logs and stumps then stapled down with large fence staples all tied together does wonders for keeping blocades in place.

found a long time ago that old winch cable wraped around logs and stumps then stapled down with large fence staples all tied together does wonders for keeping blocades in place.

yeah but then you have too anchor it to something:mad:

:haha:

yeah but then you have too anchor it to something:mad:

:haha:

Thats a big problem on sac-up... Not alot of places to anchor to as mike said.....

We had alot of the logs used---bucked up and gone....

If you were to take large rocks, take some trees and bind them together and put both of them right next to a trail

You know, if we had a bunch of old cable you could run three or four lengths down the length of the log and use some large nails or staples to secure each strand of wire to the log every six inchs or so. This might go a long way in dissuading people with chainsaws.

I agree with ToyBuy completely that blocking bypasses is a real challenge. Last Sunday we ran Cable and it seemed the blockades made out of a pile of smaller stuff seem to have stayed in place. Overall the majority of our work on Cable from that last work party remains in place.

Like Eric, I too have thought about train track and cable as opposed to logs and rocks. I also realize that extreme care would have to be used in securing either the track or cable to trees if no stumps or rocks are available. Not to mention the cost of obtaining such materials and moving them onto the trail.

I also liked the "RTW" carved into the logs. Lets people know it was put there on purpose. May not be idiot proof but it will keep the honest people honest so to speak.

I also liked the "RTW" carved into the logs. Lets people know it was put there on purpose. May not be idiot proof but it will keep the honest people honest so to speak.

Keeping honest people honest is a waste of time. Education, and more importantly, ENFORCEMENT, is what is needed. That's the same as putting locks on your house, they keep the honest people out.

Honestly, do you really think that when someone sees the RTW carved into a log that somehow that is going to change their immature, ignorant attitude?

DNR signs would make a more lasting impression.

You know, if we had a bunch of old cable you could run three or four lengths down the length of the log and use some large nails or staples to secure each strand of wire to the log every six inchs or so. This might go a long way in dissuading people with chainsaws.

I agree with ToyBuy completely that blocking bypasses is a real challenge. Last Sunday we ran Cable and it seemed the blockades made out of a pile of smaller stuff seem to have stayed in place. Overall the majority of our work on Cable from that last work party remains in place.

Like Eric, I too have thought about train track and cable as opposed to logs and rocks. I also realize that extreme care would have to be used in securing either the track or cable to trees if no stumps or rocks are available. Not to mention the cost of obtaining such materials and moving them onto the trail.

exactly:cheer: try cutting up a log with several cables stapled to it.

What about talking to the local logging outfits, asking them what they do with their old cables? Could those be used as a good barrier? They abandon them all the time.

I would think a slightly frayed large cable made into a fence of sorts would be a good deterent, unless you really want to test your tires puncture resistance. I know that destroying tires is not the goal, and not good, but it might take that to keep people from using the by passes.

The other thing to remeber is I dont take my rig on alot of those trails because I wont make it on 31 mall terrains, but I know that, and I am very carefull about where I go at reiter and who I go with, I still wish it was closer then I could go more offten.

I guess one of the other problems is that the price for steel is going up, so many companies are now recycling stuff that would have gone in the scrap pile a few years ago.

Shooooooot.....I chose option B. :; Leave her be, cheap talk over.

The only problem with that---even more so now with the DNR's eyes up there and all that comes with it--the destruction of the area. Look at sac up--there are places where from edge to edge your looking at over 150ft stretch of area thats destroyed. I prefer to run a "trail" not 405...

The only problem with that---even more so now with the DNR's eyes up there and all that comes with it--the destruction of the area. Look at sac up--there are places where from edge to edge your looking at over 150ft stretch of area thats destroyed. I prefer to run a "trail" not 405...

For the 100th time................That trail was built by truggy/buggies FOR truggy/buggies and was ruined by people with LESSER,UNDER EQUIPPED vehichles CUTTING OUT THE GATEKEEPERS so they could gain ACCESS to a trail they had NO bussiness being on in the first place.

For the 100th time................That trail was built by truggy/buggies FOR truggy/buggies and was ruined by people with LESSER,UNDER EQUIPPED vehichles CUTTING OUT THE GATEKEEPERS so they could gain ACCESS to a trail they had NO bussiness being on in the first place.

I agree and wish we could do gate keepers on all trails--if you can't make it thru the gate keeper that means you should think twice before going on the trail.....

Also---a toy pickup was one of the first rigs all the way thru that trail :redneck: