• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailering tips

SnoFalls

Thought I'd start a thread about trailering a rig ...

Many probably know this but I still see many half-ass it ...
Others with "experience" please chime in!

1) Cross the safety chains
Simple and can help control *if* the tongue unhooks.

2) Breakaway wire to the FRAME of the tow rig
So many people hook it to the "bumper". If the bumper tears off, the breakaway wire might not trip.

3) Check the load after ~10 minutes
Stuff was "tight" when you loaded, but if it loosens, it is likely to happen in the first 10-15 minutes.

4) Check the tire pressure of the trailer tires
IMO, all trailer tires will leak (especially when stored).

5) Over the axle, under the pinion, over the other axle
IFS rigs can be a challenge ... I suggest each A-arm get it's own tie down.

(this is going to cause "debate")
6) Chains and binders ONLY
Straps wear, can get cut, and some even "stretch". Chain it (with properly rated chain), and crank on a binder (also safety wire the binder closed).

What NOT to do. :haha:

Tie downs?

Tow rig size?

232323232%7Ffp9%3A2%3Enu%3D3563%3E35%3A%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D334%3B543898335nu0mrj

chain to the rear and secure no binders [route your chain and then drive or roll the rig towards the front of the trailer to tension the chain] . chain and binder to the front. [this comes from hauling heavy equipment background]

i use good load straps and beacause i tow in a toy hauler and i don't want my rig bouncing off the walls inside, i strap the chassis down chris cross and have never had a problem even towing up to riders camp.

chain to the rear and secure no binders [route your chain and then drive or roll the rig towards the front of the trailer to tension the chain] . chain and binder to the front. [this comes from hauling heavy equipment background]

i use good load straps and beacause i tow in a toy hauler and i don't want my rig bouncing off the walls inside, i strap the chassis down chris cross and have never had a problem even towing up to riders camp.

yup for got that tip ... tension one, bind the other.

have you noticed any chafing/wear on the straps inside the toyhauler? (kinda why I'm in the strap hater category).

I would think you'd want to tension the front, and bind the rear; so that should the load ever become loose due to a failed binder, it'd at least stay on the trailer-might hit the back of the tow rig, but at least not fall off the back in the event of a total binder failure...:eeek:

5) Over the axle, under the pinion, over the other axle
IFS rigs can be a challenge ... I suggest each A-arm get it's own tie down.

Straps wear, can get cut, and some even "stretch". Chain it (with properly rated chain), and crank on a binder (also safety wire the binder closed).

Whatever blows your skirt up...

I use 2" straps, 1 on each corner with a D-Ring axle strap going around the axle tube on each side.

Feel free to pack around all that chain and those binders, I will stick with my straps.

yup for got that tip ... tension one, bind the other.

have you noticed any chafing/wear on the straps inside the toyhauler? (kinda why I'm in the strap hater category).
no chafing, hooks on the ends of the strap and D-rings on the floor.
the straps are stored inside out of the sun..... thats another thing, DO NOT STORE RATCHET STRAPS OUT SIDE OR IN THE SUN!!!! uv light kills them very quickly. also don't leave ratchet straps under tension for long periods of time, it's really not good for them. when your done moving with them remove them don't let them sit strapped down on a ring for weeks on end, over night is fine, but not all week long out side under tension.

another tip.... if you are using straps you can get old scraps of fire hose or pump discharge hose and cut that in sections to use as sleeves to protect from chaffing. local rental yards might give you some scraps.

Fascist Communist Pig:kissmyass:

For strapping down my 3400lbs buggy......I vote for a set of nice straps. And if someone was to have a difference in opinion, I would let them.:;

sufficeint tire presure in the rig on the trailer.
I have seen and had my straps / binders come off because of very low tire pressure.
the rig bounces on the trailer, and makes things slack.. and come off.

i use 1 2" strap on each corner and 2 1" straps to compress the suspension. It jus towes better that way IMO

sufficeint tire presure in the rig on the trailer.
I have seen and had my straps / binders come off because of very low tire pressure.
the rig bounces on the trailer, and makes things slack.. and come off.

i use 1 2" strap on each corner and 2 1" straps to compress the suspension. It jus towes better that way IMO

Good advice. I compress my suspension to the bumpstops with a ratchet strap then use grade 70 chain and proper binders to latch it down solid. One chain on each end but 4 binders, one per corner. Once that it's done and on the trailer again with a LOT more uptravel than before I'll make some spacers to go between the bumpstops and axles.

Another tip is to wrap extra chain around the binder handle and use a bungee to secure it in place. Even if a tire goes flat etc the binder can't open and let the rig get very far.

i use 4 , 2inch straps criss crossed at both ends, and a short strap with rings to go around the axles, this way it cannot slide left or right, stater that pulled me over for speeding said that was the way they recomend to strap a rig down.

I chain to the frame and compress the suspension, (flame suit on) I chained 72ton tanks to rail cars that way for 20 years, works for me. :stirpot:

I'm not sure just how much heavy equipment hauling that you have done but the State Patrol would frown heavily on this way of binding down equipment. If it weighs over 10k lbs then you must have a chain on every corner and one on every moving piece of it (the bucket, boom, etc.). I know that we are talking wheelers here but I thought I would just let you know. I did find this out the hard way while hauling a dozer though Tacoma.:redneck:

I'm not sure just how much heavy equipment hauling that you have done but the State Patrol would frown heavily on this way of binding down equipment. If it weighs over 10k lbs then you must have a chain on every corner and one on every moving piece of it (the bucket, boom, etc.). I know that we are talking wheelers here but I thought I would just let you know. I did find this out the hard way while hauling a dozer though Tacoma.:redneck:

yes i'm just too lazy to type out that you need to use a separate chain for each corner and secure any movable appendage of said equipment.

just chain the back and drive against the chain then chain and bind from the front. you under no circumstances want your load coming toward you. and i always did the chain wrap on the binder handle.

The way that I understood the law, every corner must have a binder also. That is the way that I hauled all my equipment, I personnally would never just bind one end. I guess that it might be legal but I wouldn't bet a sizable fine on it unless I knew that it was.

You can use a single chain so long as you have it secured so it acts like 2 seperate chains. No need to have 4' of chain used on a 20' length.. :haha:

That is true I have done it that way many times but then I cut the 20 footers down to 10s and just used one on every corner.

Since installing my crawler box and beadlocks I have found the lower gears keep it from rolling at all when in gear and the beadlocks keep it from sliding around too much. :awesomework:

I havent used them straps and chains for months now.:cheer: