• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tranny build

FabHappy

I am getting ready to have a TH350 built for my buggy. I would appreciated any suggestions/input on what works, what mods. It will be behind a 4.3 Vortec for now and hopefully a V8 after a season of wheeling. Behind it will be a 4.3 Atlas.

My plan so far is to go with a full manual valve body but I do not know if I should get it with or without the compression braking.

What shift kit should I go with?

What shifter do you recommend, what shifter should I avoid?

I have never had one built before just bought used garbage and ran it as is. I want to do it right this time :D

I have a buddy that owns a trans shop that will build you one with upgrades and with full manual shifting for 750-800(compression braking in all gears). He has built all my trans over the years with no probs. If interested pm me and I will get you in touch with him.:;

Last edited:
Personally I would always want compression braking for wheeling. It's the main reason I always preferred manuals, until I drove an auto with full manual and compression braking. :cool:

I will be using a TH350 to NP208 adapter to the atlas. If I swap to a 27 spline input (currently 23) which output shaft will I need so I get the right length? That or I can go with a 27 to 23 spud shaft but for the price I might as well upgrade to the 27 input instead.

Seems like the general consensus is compression braking, so I will give that a try. I am still a little torn between manual and reverse manual valve body.
1st to reverse sounds good but Nate made the point to me that if you are in a "getting it" situation where you want to be able to hit reverse quickly you will probably be in 2nd not 1st.

Are there any other pros and cons between the two?

Seems like the general consensus is compression braking, so I will give that a try. I am still a little torn between manual and reverse manual valve body.
1st to reverse sounds good but Nate made the point to me that if you are in a "getting it" situation where you want to be able to hit reverse quickly you will probably be in 2nd not 1st.

Are there any other pros and cons between the two?

Personal preference for a few, but after you cut the gates out for easy shifting in emergency's you may hit reverse or neutral on accident when accelerating with a normal valvebody.

Since you asked about shifters earlier....

This is what I have

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-80701/

I dont like the winter/art car style too big and clunky. The following link is some good tech on shifters. For these to work good the reverse lockout needs to be disabled and the gates shaved down. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/shifter/

Make sure you order the correct shifter gates to match your tranny and valvebody

Personal preference for a few, but after you cut the gates out for easy shifting in emergency's you may hit reverse or neutral on accident when accelerating with a normal valvebody.

I didn't think about that, but I could definitely see it happening once in a while.

The same problem could arise downshifting with the reverse manual to...
I would rather accidentally hit reverse on the downshift than on the up though.

Last edited:
most good aftermarket shifters have a reverse lockout so i wouldn't let accidentally hitting reverse play a big role in valve body selection. i have a reverse valve body so reverse is closer but i think really it boils down to your own preference