• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wheel studs/steering components

What have you?

• Total voters
Originally I was going to do studs,thats what "everyone" does right?

Well Jason C. told me to use quality,grade 8 bolts instead .IIRC it was due to studs linear stretching and the OD of the stud is a fair amount smaller than the ID of the high steer arm's holes. I took it a step further and chased out the threads in my knuckles and cleaned said threads w/brake clean.I purchased the longest,AMERICAN MADE, Gr.8 bolts that allowed for the most thread enguagement while NOT shanking out before drawing tight. I applied red Loc-tite liberally and torqued to 100ft.#'s .

**** works like a champ but I also check tightness daily.

Thanks for the tip:awesomework:I will have to try this next time mine piss me off.

i have sheared the knuckle studs on my toy more then once,and have not played favors to wich side!! i have sat for hours with my rig while the gf,and buddy hitched rides home.i have robbed parts from my rig,and others on the trail to get home.... toy knuckle studs are weak..
i since cured that by buying trail gear(flame suit on) magnum knuckle studs!i also have a complete brand new set of stock sruds i bought at the same time(now spares). they are made by arp for trail gear!! i lock-tighted(red) them in,and torqued them down.. check them all the time but in two years of running them they have not come loose(knocking on wood now)! other then my trailer best upgrade on the rig...

one time at walker we were fighting the mud on one of the old trails.my freind looks down in the mud and finds a lug nut. i told him grab it spares are always needed. we got out to the road,and headed down to the gate the rig started to feel funny from the rear. thought it was all the mud in the rims,and everywhere else!! we get to the gate,and wait our turn to go around the gate keeper. my buddy gets out to have a cigarette looks down and my back wheel is about to fall off. broke one wheel stud.lost two,and three of them were about to fall the rest of the way off.. the one we found in the mud was one of mine.. should have looke when we found it :mad:!
i have also broken some hub studs but not anymore thank you arp!!!

Screw in quick start or standard screw in studs?

5/8ths bolt, Thru heim and steering arm..

Also, I forgot the time i sheared 3 1/2 studs from the knuckle/steering arm. The btf arms dont have the 5th hole for the dedenbear knuckles so i machined the arms and the knuckles for 5/8ths threads and used bolts as mauler described.

5/8ths bolt, Thru heim and steering arm..

Also, I forgot the time i sheared 3 1/2 studs from the knuckle/steering arm. The btf arms dont have the 5th hole for the dedenbear knuckles so i machined the arms and the knuckles for 5/8ths threads and used bolts as mauler described.

No not that... I'm asking about the 5/8 wheel studs you said you were going to run. I was overthinking things again and figured 5/8" quick start studs would be sick on my truck eventually and I was wondering what you were going to run. :;

No not that... I'm asking about the 5/8 wheel studs you said you were going to run. I was overthinking things again and figured 5/8" quick start studs would be sick on my truck eventually and I was wondering what you were going to run. :;

I kinda jumped the gun on that one, Im sticking with 9/16ths wheel studs to avoid wierd lug nuts.

After my last trip to the Busy I broke 5 of my knuckle studs... GAY.. Looks like its time for ARP's and a 5th stud kit when I get home!

I think 80% of toyota steering stud breakage can be avoided by: removing the studs, Running a tap thru the threads on the knuckle, Cleaning the studs, putting red loc-tite on em AND making sure they bottom out in the knuckle.

I think 80% of toyota steering stud breakage can be avoided by: removing the studs, Running a tap thru the threads on the knuckle, Cleaning the studs, putting red loc-tite on em AND making sure they bottom out in the knuckle.

Add a torque wrench to that equation and you're golden!

Adding a 5th stud to it will also eliminate any problems....

But yes alot has to do with poor maintanance and assembly..

i boke a toy knuckle pretty sure they came loose after that i checked them everytime after i wheeled never had a problem after that. had a wheele come loose going through the canyon on the way back from elbe ruined the wheel and the studs.:eeek: ive learned my lesson about keeping my **** tight now

broke toy steer arm studs and the bolts that hold the manual locking hub on. Haven't had any issues with wheel studs yet. Also since I got rid of the stock toy push pull set up and went full hydro haven't had any issues with the toy steering arm studs. But i have been better at checking the torque on the studs and keeping them tight

cj7 stock steering box in half way thru the busy. late night no fun. havent had a prob since I sold the heep :bananadance:

on the busy waaaaaay back when i had a dana44 in the front..broke the 3 studs holding the crossover steering arm to the knuckle (9/16 studs)..