• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Which is better automatic or manual trans?

onealdodge said:
Tricky question! I like a manual in smaller horsepower setup 4cyl or 6 cyl especially w/ a larger tire. Gears make a big difference as well in this scenario. I like to be able to bump the clutch at higher rpm's giving the smaller engines a chance to get more wheel speed when needed. I've had auto's in smaller hp rigs and with larger tires they seem lack the extra juice when needed.

great point

i run a manual in my buggy and love it.. the ability to give an aggressive launch w/ no delay is great and direct drive when crawling... i have just always been good at driving a stick, even to the point where people are surprised it is a stick... a stick is not always cheaper though... i have a $550 lakewood hydroformed bellhousing and $650 tied up in a custom adapter/input so i can run a 32 spline input to my np205 from an sm465... not to mention initial cost of the trans itself, but you have to buy something one way or the other.... but it has NEVER failed me... it doesnt overheat, it doesnt slip on inclines, it doesnt leak when its upside down... hell, you could fill a manual up w/ concrete and it will still get you home... :D

draggbody said:
i run a manual in my buggy and love it.. the ability to give an aggressive launch w/ no delay is great and direct drive when crawling... i have just always been good at driving a stick, even to the point where people are surprised it is a stick... a stick is not always cheaper though... i have a $550 lakewood hydroformed bellhousing and $650 tied up in a custom adapter/input so i can run a 32 spline input to my np205 from an sm465... not to mention initial cost of the trans itself, but you have to buy something one way or the other.... but it has NEVER failed me... it doesnt overheat, it doesnt slip on inclines, it doesnt leak when its upside down... hell, you could fill a manual up w/ concrete and it will still get you home... :D

Wow thanks for all the information

Latest posts