• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wrong turn

The Luke

Ever made a wrong turn and ended up where you shouldn€™t be?

I was on my way back from a job in Waverly,TN yesterday and decided to take some back roads toward Nashville. So I dip off hwy 50 onto a road called €œcobble to only rd€. It€™s an old one lane, dirt, county rd that cuts up a ridge, through three or four hollers, across a dozen or so creeks for about 18 miles then back to another hwy. Just something to break up the monotony. So I€™m cruising down it and flipping through the gps and see a road called Malugin Holler LN. Looks like it cuts north and adds a few miles, but dumps you out on the same hwy. I€™ve never been down that particular rd, so I give it a shot. Pull up to the road and there is an open gate across the road. I thought maybe it was a €œsnow€ gate for when it might now be passable during certain seasons. But I can clearly see on google satellite view. that this road goes all the way through.

Regardless, I drive on through, make it about 3 miles in, come around a blind corner and there€™s a red Silverado with a truck and trailer sideways across the road. So I stop, see something out of the corner of my eye and there€™s a guy in full camo walking up to my passenger door.

So I roll the window down, greet him and he immediately loses his ****. Cussing me every way he can, wants to know who I am, where I am from, why I€™m on his property, how many guns I have, who my boss is, if I€™m with the game warden, etc... all the while he has his hand behind his back in his shirt. I am about 16 miles from pavement, no service and alone. I offer for or five times to just turn around and leave. He informs me that I€™m not leaving til he says I can.

Granted, I€™m a big boy and this mid 60€™s super intoxicated guy was a wee feller. The fact that he could have drawn on me and left me parked right there for the rest of forever and no one would have ever seen me again, made me rethink just flipping him the bird and driving off. So lots of yessirs and no sirs were involved. Eventually(20 min later), after multiple times of talking him down from being irate, him searching the bed of my truck and peered in my windows and questioning why I had three tubs of baby formula in the passenger seat, he told me to turn it around and never ever come back.

Got the truck turned around and start my way back. About 300 yards down the road I found a corner and found a nicely stacked pile of 3 dead buzzards right in the middle of the road that were not there when I came through the first time. So I took that as an additional message to gtfo. Daggum Silverado looked like it was BJ Baldwin behind the wheel the last 8 miles or so of cobble to only rd.

Get back to the office and I decide to google the guys name. Who knows what I€™ll find? So I throw in €œJohn Pruitt Hickman Co€. Immediately pulls up a court case for a double homicide about 3 miles as the crow flies from where I was by a John Pruitt in 2015. No clue if that was him, or how he would be out. But I don€™t want to go back and ask.
f08b1a37b745a21f116d915f1aa73ab8.heic

Don't recall ever being in that kinda situation but I woulda had a hard time dealing with that guy, you did the right thing and got outta there and it's all about self preservation, I mighta called the local game warden and reported those buzzards. Pretty sure they're federally protected, and just because the guy was a **** to ya, bet ya won't take back roads no more. Lol Those birds coulda been turkeys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely weren't turkeys. I think they were turkey vultures more than likely. I've just always called them buzzards. All the same to me.

It definitely took a lot to bite my tongue. I'd like to say I won't take back roads anymore. But, I have an adventurous side and tend to be a bit stubborn. Lol

yep, definitely been there. thankfully it didn't involve a person, but could have quickly. felt like a scene out of the movie you mentioned. we were following backroads (TN) in our jeep and thought we were taking a shortcut over the mountain. as we got to the top, the road became more narrow and was filled with abandoned vehicles and then there was a shack around a curve. as soon as I saw the shack I told my wife to stop driving and to turn around and get the hell out. felt really wrong to be in that spot and definitely felt like private property. she was so nervous that she asked me to drive so we switched asap and I booked it outta there. :driving:

I'm not a fan of taking backroads that I don't know of.....or know 100% where it comes out/ends. There's alota ****ed up people out there and probably most of we'll never know. I'm not much of an explorer anyways.

I have found myself venturing out more but it's mostly on motorcycle runs or car club runs. I figure my odds of getting my ass kicked / pounded / robbed / shot / never heard from again are a lot better with a "herd" lol

Last creepy encounter I can think of was back when I was 13 or 14 I guess. My dad and I were riding dirtbikes at Tellico. We went up Lower 2 and on to upper 2. After the hard spot on Upper 2 there was a closed off trail that my dad wanted to explore. We drove over the big dirt mound and around the big ditch at the front blocking it off and were having fun on a pretty cool trail. We got about 10 minutes back in there and ran into a 7 "Uncle Jesse" lookin dudes on horseback....all with guns, multiple guns, copper tubing, jugs, jars and other tools and supplies. Really loaded down.

I was polite and shut my bike off and coasted up to them(they were on the trail) and dad did the same. My squeaky suburban sheltered voice said, "Hey guys how are you doing!?(like I was gonna sell them girl scout cookies or some ****)" I got no response. Dad said "Sorry fellas, we'll be on our way...." He was interrupted by one of the guys and he said, "Is that one'a them Yammy-hawz?" My dad said, "No, it's a Kawasaki" upon which he was yelled at "SAME GAWD DAMN THANG!!!". Dad looked at me and said "GO!".

I found out later from my mom just how scared my Dad was. Not for himself, but for me and what COULD have happened to us. Looking back now that I'm old, I completely understand.

I followed a clear cut dirt road on Google Earth one time, it stopped 450 yards from the pavement in a mud hole... Ever went mudding in a fwd buick?

Kinda reminds me of a story my father tells me. Back in the early 70s we lived in Oak Ridge and my father liked to take us boys riding around the country side on the weekends. So we were heading heading up the side of one of mountains where there was an over look at the top. About half way up he noticed a pickup parked on the side of the road with a couple guys standing along side of it starring at us as we went by. He thought it was kinda odd but he kept on going up the road.
At the top there was parking lot with four or five pickups and cars parked in a circle. So my old man parks and lets us boys out to look around. Now keep in mind my father has a goat tee and longish hair, on some no named road, in the Cumberlands, in the early 70s.
The biggest one of them wandered over and told him the lookout was closed and for him to get on out of there, like right now.
So we all loaded up and headed back down the way we came and those two guys were still sitting there by their truck and waved to us as we went by.
That Monday at work my father as a one his coworkers who was a local, what all that was about. He told told him it was probably a shine or a drug deal he came across and he's lucky us kids were with him or he would have been shot.
After that, he mostly took us to more populated places.

When I was working for the feds, we would be out surveying for rare animals and plants on federal lands and have these kinds of jackasses appear out of nowhere completely lit and packing. We always just chirped our radios a few times and let the rangers show up and haul the guy off.

When I was working as an environmental scientist, we would get contracts to be out and about doing environmental sweeps of property before they got purchased. Most of the time some irate old man missed a payment to the bank and was losing it to foreclosure. They'd threaten to kill us and bury us around back with the rest of the folks that had trespassed. Few even laid hands on us. i smacked a number of these guys in the face with a shovel and we headed towards the truck at lightning speed. Company policy was no firearms but I started carrying a pistol in a chest pouch with my gear. Worst case was a timber company in north florida was selling a tract to another firm and the hunting lease on the property was expiring/not being renewed. All the hunters were stalking the woods and would harass us as we did our sweeps. We got stuck at one point and had 2 gentlemen appear out of the swamp at random with a small arsenal strapped to them about 8 miles off the road the main road. I didnt hear vehicles and there were no buildings anywhere in that section of the property. They didnt talk to us and just stood there for an hour until the property manager showed up and pulled us out. Nerve wracking.

I'm super bad for wonder where that road goes it looks interesting. I've had a couple guns pulled on me before but I'm still here to tell about it so it worked out in the end and I still haven't let it stop me yet. I like to explore some.

fordcontraption01 said:
I'm super bad for wonder where that road goes it looks interesting. I've had a couple guns pulled on me before but I'm still here to tell about it so it worked out in the end and I still haven't let it stop me yet. I like to explore some.

Musta been drivin' a Chevy to have been able to get away. ;)

fordcontraption01 said:

Yep. Same here.

Most river folk or mountain folk won't just randomly murder you.

This dude was definitely hiding something. He made a point to tell me had he not been there and I would have gone past sheet his truck was parked that I'd have gotten tangled up in something worse than him and wouldn't be leaving. Part of me was like "ohhhhh I wanna see!" But I'm not that dumb.

Just a boatload of trails there. Can't see much. Coble To Only Rd
Centerville, TN 37033
https://goo.gl/maps/CHsVzcQ3vtD2

Now on the other hand, a previous cell tower site I did north of there, I stumbled across this while looking for my site on google. I'll let you make your own assumptions. Here are three different screen shots to show how remote this place is.
5c1d4253d6fd7dab0749eb36740c6b6a.png
29c8efbbbeb289de58d94022597880d0.png
9bd2a834fd1216a1e197927e58f5a02e.png