• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22RE inline fuel pumps

CHOP SHOP

I have a 22re with a beer cell and an inline fuel pump.

It works great, when its working.

It has been this way for a year now and I have eaten 3 fuel pumps.

I run an E2000 pump like thousands of other toyota guys run. The pump and its specs are not the problem. The QUALITY is.

What are my options for a better quality pump? Anyone else kill lots of these pumps?

The guy at the Napa said that the airtex and carter have gone to **** and he gets lots of returns.

Im going to take this pump back to vatozone and tell them I dont want another POS, just my cash back.

Buy 2---really..... Thats why I carry a spare....

I actually tapped the gas cap and put a quick connect on it so I can hook my OBA to it with regulated air pressure and make it run back to the trailer.

Have you actually killed one or just worry about it?

I actually tapped the gas cap and put a quick connect on it so I can hook my OBA to it with regulated air pressure and make it run back to the trailer.

Have you actually killed one or just worry about it?

I have not killed one yet but will make funny noises some times. Also placement can have a big impact on longevity.

Now I know better. I also feel I know when I can cut corners too.

I dont feel this lends to the failure but........... (some I will value opinion, others I wont)

My fuel pump is mounted up front by the motor mount. I know it should be back by the tank and be a "pusher" but I dont think it matters on my rig.

The reason to have it push is so it doenst have to pull/prime/siphon whatever ya want to think it does. The pump should be pushing pressure, not pulling. yadda yadda etc.

HOWEVER, in my rig the fuel tank is mounted up quite a bit higher than the pump. The pump has ALLOT of positive pressure feeding it. When ya unhook it it still has lots of pressure feeding the pump so I dont feel its "pulling" at all.

input?

also on carbed rigs I have had over 20 over the years with cheapo fuel pumps on the front inner fender well and NEVER killed one.

Once in a great while the one on the M37 fuel pump needs a smack to get going but it hasnt done that since I put a nice clean fuel tank in it.

Are the new pumps just way crappier than the old stuff?

Low pressure pumps are commonly a plunger style with has a longer (way longer) life span than any rotor or vane style pump(with vane style being the weakest of the bunch).

For pump life you need it pushing and below the fuel storage area.

Low pressure pumps are commonly a plunger style with has a longer (way longer) life span than any rotor or vane style pump(with vane style being the weakest of the bunch).

For pump life you need it pushing and below the fuel storage area.

But I think they will still die prematurely.

I dont know if I want to buy all new lines and fittings just to find out that the new pump dies the same as the old one.

Whats better, 1 a pump closer to the tank with no head pressure? Or, 2 a pump mounted further away with LOTS of head pressure?

I would think the first of the two would be the least desirable?

But I think they will still die prematurely.

I dont know if I want to buy all new lines and fittings just to find out that the new pump dies the same as the old one.

Whats better, 1 a pump closer to the tank with no head pressure? Or, 2 a pump mounted further away with LOTS of head pressure?

I would think the first of the two would be the least desirable?

when you say pump 1/2 are you referring to the same pump? If you have low head pressure with the pump near the tank then you have a pump issue not a location issue. Plus you also need a pump that has enough volume to meet the demand.

Only time I have seen where pump location was an issue due to the length the fuel must travel is on 25+ feet motor homes that run a mechanical pump.

I talked to vatozone and he said "no problem" bring it in and get a refund.

I bought it last year on Jan 28th so I only have a couple weeks left on the 1 year warranty.

Im glad they allowed a refund.

Now what pump to buy? holly? toyota supra? summit/jegs?

when you say pump 1/2 are you referring to the same pump? If you have low head pressure with the pump near the tank then you have a pump issue not a location issue. Plus you also need a pump that has enough volume to meet the demand.

No no, I meant head pressure at the INPUT fitting on the pump. Not the pumps output pressure.

Just with an open line. My rig will empty the tank on the floor fast when unhooked. It will spray if ya put a finger on it like a garden hose when unhooked. I had to put a shuttoff valve on the bottom of the tank cuz its a PITA to get a plug in the line and get it sealed without losing mass fuel when ya unhook it.

Does this make sense now?

No no, I meant head pressure at the INPUT fitting on the pump. Not the pumps output pressure.

Just with an open line. My rig will empty the tank on the floor fast when unhooked. It will spray if ya put a finger on it like a garden hose when unhooked. I had to put a shuttoff valve on the bottom of the tank cuz its a PITA to get a plug in the line and get it sealed without losing mass fuel when ya unhook it.

Does this make sense now?

Thats really not head pressure--thats more of a gravity thing but that makes sense. I just use a pair of pliers and pinch the hose--easy peasy.

PUT IT BY THE TANK, cavitation's a bitch and will kill a pump almost instantly. yes, you have gravity helping but you also have a long colum of fuel that you are trying to move via suction. i used to colapse a 1/2" fuel line durring WOT, car would fall on its face. i moved the pump and it never happened again..
besides, how much higher is your tank than the pump when you climb a ledge? BINGO!

Its running a 3/8 4 wire hydraulic hose for a fuel line. I dont see it sucking it flat with the fuel demands of a 22re?

Im not putting the fuel pump in the tank. I have a nice sump and Im not modding the tank. Besides Ive seen many in tank pumps fail too.

But I do see the hill climbing point.

But last time it died it was on the long FLAT 9 road at elbe. Just died like I turned the key off.

Its easy to diagnose cuz the return line is clear right at the tank. Turn on the ign/efi and watch for fuel to cycle past regulator.

Its running a 3/8 4 wire hydraulic hose for a fuel line. I dont see it sucking it flat with the fuel demands of a 22re?

Im not putting the fuel pump in the tank. I have a nice sump and Im not modding the tank. Besides Ive seen many in tank pumps fail too.

But I do see the hill climbing point.

But last time it died it was on the long FLAT 9 road at elbe. Just died like I turned the key off.

Its easy to diagnose cuz the return line is clear right at the tank. Turn on the ign/efi and watch for fuel to cycle past regulator.

Just put it near the rear Brad below the tank level..