• Yes

Votes: 106 84.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 11.1%

• Total voters

charliesnyder

Alrighty... Where to start. Just a warning this is going to be an extremely slow build. Budget is depleted and just got back from Iraq so spending time with the family.

Base Truck:
1982 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Shortbed

I guess we can start off with the plans for the truck.

Own:
4" All Pro springs
36x13.5x17 Iroks Bias
17x9 Cragar soft 8's with 2" BS
Trail Gear Histeer Kit
TG Dual Case Kit
5.29's
ARB for the front
Spool for the rear
ARB Compressor Kit
Full Gussets for the front
Diff Armor
New Spring Hangars all the way around
Rock Sliders
All Pro Internal Cage Kit
etc....

This was my first truck that I owned
308349971_l.jpg

This is what happens when someone wants it more than you do!
stolentoyota002.jpg

Here is what I started with in Oct of 2006
untitled-1.jpg

Messing around in my buddies yard!
DSCF0029.jpg

While on leave I decided that I would throw my suspension on. Seemed like a good idea at the time but proved to be a pain in the ass and had to enlist the help of my brothers to finish the job.
DSCN1585.jpg

dscn1589.jpg

DSCN1590.jpg

DSCN1597.jpg

This is after completing the rear lift. No pics of that process.. Nothing spectacular anyways
DSCN1626.jpg

DSCN1625.jpg

Well now that I'm home the build has progressed immensly! Just seems like my motivation has tripled since I dragged this beast back up to my house. Decided that I needed to get my wheels and tires mounted and throw them on the truck to see how it will be sitting. Glad I got my hands on a set of 2 inch lift blocks to level it out untill the front end settles a little bit.
DSC00334.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00321.jpg

Here I am standing next to it to kind of give it a little bit if size. I'm 510"
DSC00324.jpg

I mocked up a half door from a set of spare doors I had.
DSC00325.jpg

Last edited:
This weekend was pretty eventful. After mocking everything up and checking tire clearance. I TORE THE WHOLE FRONT END APART! Figured now was as good of a time as any to rip into the front and get to working on it.

Here is the grimey axle I started with. Typical of a 26 year old rig.

DSC00333.jpg

After a couple hours of disassembly and cleaning we started cutting all of the excess brackets off
DSC00343.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

Ended the day on a good note with this as the final product.
DSC00349.jpg

Day 2 of the front end build involve welding on my truss, creaper gussets and diff guard. The last project of the day was shaving off the drain plug on the axle.
DSC00352.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

Shaving the drain plug was pretty easy. All we did was grind the weld surrounding the plug and take a hammer and chisel to the remaining lip. After a few hits the plug fell off.

DSC00354.jpg

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

DSC00361.jpg

This is the plug as it came off.
DSC00355.jpg

Final product of day two!
DSC00359.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

________
herbal vaporizers

Last edited:
KEEP ON BUILDIN , ITS LOOKING GOOD SOO FAR ! I TOO AM A VET OF THE GULF -DESERT STORM DESERT SHIELD - THANKS FOR SERVING -RESPECT TO ALL WHO SERVE! THANKS ! GET BACK IN ONE PIECE TO ENJOY YOUR FAMILYS THE ONE YOUR MARRIED TO AND YOUR WHEELING FAMILY.:awesomework: :awesomework:

Glad you made it back safe. Which branch of service? Im Army stationed on Ft Lewis.

Build looks good man, keep it up. I feel the hassle for the suspension, I just did mine last weekend too. Still have some stuff to finish up with it.

~T.J.

Glad you made it back safe. Which branch of service? Im Army stationed on Ft Lewis.

Build looks good man, keep it up. I feel the hassle for the suspension, I just did mine last weekend too. Still have some stuff to finish up with it.

~T.J.

army lewis too.. 4th brigade
________
weed

Last edited:
Update

Little bit of a change of stance.. got another inch or so out of the front
DSC00368.jpg

Have my front cross member mocked up, got some filling to do...
DSC00372.jpg

shot of some of my gussetts
DSC00379.jpg

DSC00376.jpg

Im kind of wondering if my 2 inch blocks are going to be enough to bring my front and rear level.
DSC00369.jpg

I did have a couple hundred pounds of steel and parts in the back of my truck but i dont think its making that big off a difference.. Here is my rear without blocks in
DSC00370.jpg

________
Suzuki GS550M

Last edited:
Came together fairly well today except for one thing... my brake calipers did not want to bolt back on. i did the trail gear backing plate delete kit.

ANY IDEAS
________
marijuana sativa

Last edited:
Why not put shorter shackles in the front instead of lifting the back more? The whole truck looks too high to me. :stirpot:

Why not put shorter shackles in the front instead of lifting the back more? The whole truck looks too high to me. :stirpot:

i like how tall the front sits.. id rather bring the back up to the front right now. the front will eventually settle and then ill pull my blocks and start hacking away at the fenders
________
iphone games

Last edited:
As for the backing plate. you can make your own by cutting the dust shield so you just have the holes left, it looks just like the backing plate eliminator but is free. I've always done that with mine.

haha.. didnt think about that..

guess i got a little purchase happy...

Got everything with the brakes figured out.. i had the backing plate in the wrong spot and it pushed my spindle out too far for the brake calipers to clear the rotors... Lesson learned
________
Yamaha XV700

Last edited:
havent gotten to work on the truck for the last few weeks.. wife had surgery

did get some progress on my steering
0729081756.jpg

what do you guys think about this? think i might be cutting to close?
________
Ducati GT1000

Last edited:
This is the first time I looked at this thread... That sucks to see that grey yota got stolen.. I had to do a double and then tripple take on it.. I set the timing and adjusted the valves on that for yoru brother when you were gone a couple years ago... Thats too bad, what did you do with the remains of the grey truck?

I'd move the box a bit farther forward and as high as you can get it... Ya never know what you'll end up doing in the future so why not have it ready for later. :;

I remember that! wow small world. the only problem with moving it forward is that i dont really have the resources to cut anything thats in my engine bad.. the body mount or anything like that.. i used my grinder to cut the inner fender

ill see what i can do without cutting too much... maybe my BFH will get to work
________
mexico city hotel

Last edited:
Kick your brother in the ass and have him grab a few cut off wheels for your grinder! :D

If you need any help I'm usually home thursday-sunday so I can swing by and lend a hand or some terrible advice.. :haha: