• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bear wallow Hatfield and McCoy

Hope you guys have a good ride, make sure you take my maps with you. They still haven't updated the maps at the trailhead yet so you'll have trouble finding the good trails. If you get the chance open up "Slide", it's been cleared but never ran. You'll leave the Trail head on 12 and it's just a couple hundred yards up. The sign on the right will show Trail 45, drop into the creek but instead of going straight turn 300 degrees to your right and head down the creek instead. The next Ravine down is Slide, a big bolder will mark the entrance. Also once you pop out the top on 44 look straight ahead, that is the trail that will become "The Rock", if you get a chance you can play around on that trail as well just be advised there is no exit so what goes up must come back down.

Bear%20Wallow%20Map%20North_zpsifgrlxhe.png

Since It sounds like you guys will be in there a few days keep an eye out for any potential trails. Get us some GPS coordinates or a general area on map and will see what we can do to open them.

The area's circled in red have never been scouted. Looking at the Topography charts I would say that the area to the far right (as your looking at the map) holds the most promise.

area_zps0avpmiwd.png

This place looks sick. I definitely want to check it out. We're coming down to Harlan in about a week and a half, and want to ride Bear Wallow for a day on the way down. I checked HMT rules, and I see helmets are mandatory. Not a problem.
But it also says no passengers under 8 years old/ 4'9"? My son is 6 and big for his age, but he's not 4'9"... Is this a real rule? If kids aren't allowed, it's pretty much a deal breaker for us.

This was a big deal to the local clubs a couple years ago when HMT opened IVY Branch to the full size community. But seems I remember the rule being that the kids feet needed to be able to touch the floor. That being said I have never heard anyone mention it since and haven't heard anyone complaining that they were turned away for a kid being too small. I'll contact the Director and see what he says and get back to you.

Just talked to Jeff Lusk and he confirmed that riders need to be at least 4'9" to ride. How close is he to the height requirement? I can assure you they don't have a height chart in the trail head office. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks for checking! I'll measure him tonight.
He's gotta be damn close. The kid seems to grow more every day!

Alright, we're comin'. He's within a few inches and it's on our way anyway.
He's in a pre-teen suspension seat with harnesses so he's not flopping around regardless.
How strict are they about the DOT helmet thing? I was gonna order a couple of those Axel trail helmets. Do they check for a sticker?
Thanks for the info!

As long as its a good bicycle helmet or any other offroad type helmet i think u will be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like zjman said as long as it's a good helmet they won't mess with you, as for the sticker I've always had one on my helmet so it's always visible and nothing to check. What days are you guys going to be down there? I think I'm going to be in there on the 24th and 25th of this month. Don't forget to print off the maps, your gonna need them.

Sweet, thanks.
We're planning to get down there Sun, the 19th. Then check it out on the 20th & maybe 21st.
We're doing Harlan the rest of the week.

See now that' a cool trip, hit one park then move on the the next. Hatfield and McCoy has 2 other trail systems within 10 miles of Bearwallow that I continue to try and get opened to OHV's. Also the big Kanawha Park near Charleston will be a reality at some point so things are looking up here in the Mountain State.

Got down to Bear wallow last weekend to check the place out. 1st all the trails are NOT fullsize friendly lol. This place is going to be pretty damn good once the trails get run in some more. As of now I would say there is enough to keep you entertained for 2 days. Thanks to Josh aka Gonovrit for meeting up with us.

Great pics, glad you guys had a good time. The park was originally designed 20 years ago for bikes and 4wheelers so if you find an area that you think needs widened mark it on the map and get it to me. I'll be back in there on the 24th to clear at least one more new trail and then open it on the 25th.